Welcome to the annual MLB Hot Stove thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Headache in a Suitcase said:

so in reality, who really is the most valuable player(s)? :wink:

See NL MVP:

Ryan Howard - $355,000
Albert Pujols - $14 million

Maybe a secondary reason...? Actual value... :hmm:

oh please, pujols got screwed out of the mvp.

yep, pujols got 14 million after everything was said and done so he didn't have to hit the FA market where soriano receives a cool 17 million a year. i can't wait till this happens to the phillies and howard and they are paying 20+ at this rate. then we'll see where that .210 BA with RISP value comes from when he's getting paid that

MrPryck2U said:
Houston signed Carlos Lee for 6 years at 100 million dollars.

and he's basically one dimensional

at least soriano steals a boat load of bases and has a solid throwing arm.

Chizip said:
David Wright is overrated, talk about coming up small in the playoffs, yikes

one world series victory and we completely forget about the consistant chokings of the st. louis cardinals in the post-season in recent years.

wright had a sub-par second half, and wasn't good in the playoffs.

i don't drink the david wright's going to the hall of fame kool-aid like many met fans... waaaaay too early to make such an asinine statement. but over-rated? not quite yet. if he puts up another few stinkers, fine... two bad months? slow down.

and it's not like albert pujols was dominating for the cardinals... RBIs over three playoff series for the #3 hitter? he must be over-rated, too!

try not.

Last edited:
How bout this one? Neither Wright or Pujols is overrated. Wright is a young player who has been on the rise in his 2 years in the Majors. Pujols, is by now, and established star who has battled injuries of some sort every year. From my eyes, both players are where they want to be for right now. Wright got a taste of the NLCS and you know he's salivating for more. Pujols tasted the World Series with a better Cards' team, but won with the 2006 overachieving World Series Champion Cards instead. I'm sure he's happy with that. Now, Pujols' goal is to go out and do it again.
Wright's goal is the same and now he's got some playoff experience under his belt. Wright and teammate Jose Reyes will have(barring injury) better seasons in 2007. I think Reyes will be the bigger star, but Wright will be a star as well.

So, I'm straddling the fence and saying that neither David Wright or Albert Pujols are overrated. But, give Wright a few more years to to inshrine hime into the Hall Of Fame.

Which reminds me... The HOF ballots were announced. Look for Gwynn, Ripken and Big Mac to get in.

StlElevation said:
oh please, pujols got screwed out of the mvp.

yep, pujols got 14 million after everything was said and done so he didn't have to hit the FA market where soriano receives a cool 17 million a year. i can't wait till this happens to the phillies and howard and they are paying 20+ at this rate. then we'll see where that .210 BA with RISP value comes from when he's getting paid that

As I've said, yes, this is true. I'm just stating that there are clear and pretty obvious reasons to vote for Howard. No one's ever called the baseball writers association unbiased. He had a great story, he made much less money, he was a fan favorite, everyone digs the long ball and he had more (only cause of Pujols' injury, a fact they seem to overlook), and Howard was on a team that was shittier than the Cardinals. Makes him stand out more.

Pujols was clearly a better player, and with the value to the team thing being so similar, Pujols should have won.

His .210 BA with RISP came primarily from the first half of the year when the whole team was complete shit. But in July and August, I can't tell you how many big hits Howard had. From singles to homers, he was always managing to knock guys in.

That was where he got the votes from: that late-July to early-September stretch.

Numb1075 said:
ESPN is reporting that there's a strong possibility that Manny Ramirez will be dealt by Saturday.

As a Red Sox fan, I'd rather see them keep Manny. I don't understand dumping his salary/attitude only to turn around and pay JD 'Nancy' Drew $15 million per year.

The only potential trade rumbling that got my attention was to the Angels for Brandon Wood / Ervin Santana. And that one doesn't seem to be in the cards.

Here's hoping the centerpiece of any deal isn't just a good relief pitcher and a couple O.K. prospects. That's pennies on the dollar for Manny.

The article mentions the Giants, something the San Francisco Chronicle alluded to this past weekend as well.

I don't know what they would have to offer other than prospects, though.

phillyfan26 said:

As I've said, yes, this is true. I'm just stating that there are clear and pretty obvious reasons to vote for Howard. No one's ever called the baseball writers association unbiased. He had a great story, he made much less money, he was a fan favorite, everyone digs the long ball and he had more (only cause of Pujols' injury, a fact they seem to overlook), and Howard was on a team that was shittier than the Cardinals. Makes him stand out more.

Pujols was clearly a better player, and with the value to the team thing being so similar, Pujols should have won.

His .210 BA with RISP came primarily from the first half of the year when the whole team was complete shit. But in July and August, I can't tell you how many big hits Howard had. From singles to homers, he was always managing to knock guys in.

That was where he got the votes from: that late-July to early-September stretch.

how much shittier were the phillies than the cardinals in the regular season? Philadelphia's record was two games better than your world champion st. louis cardinals record. so there goes that theory.

what difference does it make how much money a person makes in determining their value to a team in a given season? sure from a general managers aspect it will matter in regards with what to do with the ballclub in upcoming seasons, but from a writers standpoint it should mean squat. pujols was the most valueable player in the league clearly yet didn't win the award.

pre all-star break howard had 28 HR, 71 RBI. post all star break howard had 30 HR, 78 RBI but granted 40 more walks and he hit for a higher average.

games in april and may count just as much as a game in july or august.

phanan said:
The article mentions the Giants, something the San Francisco Chronicle alluded to this past weekend as well.

I don't know what they would have to offer other than prospects, though.

The Manny Ramirez are picking up momentum, reports ESPN.com, with one major league official saying he "wouldn't be shocked if the Red Sox traded him by Saturday,"

We would be. It's still hard to imagine the Giants as a serious contender for Ramirez, and the Angels and Mets aren't expected to be involved after already picking up outfielders this winter. The Dodgers are the one suitor that makes a lot of sense, as they have the money and plenty to give up in return. The Rangers and Padres are other possible fits, but it's doubtful Texas would surrender Michael Young and San Diego can't value him as highly as other teams because he'd be such a liability in Petco's spacious outfield.

that from rotoworld.com. I doubt manny gets moved.

MrPryck2U said:
but won with the 2006 overachieving World Series Champion Cards instead.

yes always necessary to take a dig at the world champion cardinals. i guess i would rather overachieve and win the world series rather than underachieve and fail.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
david ortiz must be shaking in his booties at the prospect of manny ramirez being replaced by JD Drew.

goodbye good pitches... hello intentional walks.

you'd have to assume that Theo has a plan in the works to get a bat. However, no one is as badass as Manny (except for maybe 1 or 2 other hitters)

Put me down on the record as very much against trading Money Ramirez.
His salary for his production looks like a bargain this offseason when compared with what the likes of Alfonso K. Soriano and Carlos Lee have gotten and the rumors about what J.D. Drew might get.
In fact, I'd pick up Manny's 2009 option right now to make him (and more importantly his wife) happier.

If the Red Sox trade him they better:
A. Not pick up one iota of his salary
B. Get 2 proven major leaguers and 1 top level prospect, or vice versa.

Clarification: To overachieve is good. The Cards were 83-79 this year in the regular season. They played beyond themselves to win. That's no dig at the Cards. In 2004, they has 105 regular season wins and got their asses whipped by the BoSox in the Series. They underachieved there.
When someone says a team overachieved, they're are just saying that that team played beyond themselves.

MrPryck2U said:

Which reminds me... The HOF ballots were announced. Look for Gwynn, Ripken and Big Mac to get in.
Zero chance McGwire gets in on the first ballot.
Getting in at all is iffy, but no way he gets in this year.

Gwynn and Ripken will be the only enshrinements from this ballot.

if the writers leave him out on the first ballot as a punishment of sorts, fine.

but if he doesn't get the 5% neccesary to stay on the ballot so that he can get elected next year it's a friggin joke. mark mcgwire broke no rules of baseball. baseball had no rules in place at the time banning whatever substances he used. it's their own damned fault, not his.

for the same baseball writers who fawned all over mcgwire in '98 when most of them knew something was up, and then to now hold it against him... well that's just hypocrisy at the highest level, and a shame. put the man in cooperstown... god knows there's tons of guys arleady in there who have done things far worse than sticking a needle in their butt.

Not thrilled about the idea of trading Santana, but the Angels need to shake up the lineup, so I guess I wouldn't be crushed if this trade happened... (although I am concerned about Crede's back problems)

Angels discussing trade with White Sox

Chicago would ship third baseman Crede and veteran pitcher Garcia for infielder-outfielder Figgins and young right-hander Santana.

By Bill Shaikin, Times Staff Writer
November 28, 2006

In a deal that would fill the Angels' need for a power hitter but that would come with a steep price, the Angels and Chicago White Sox have discussed a trade that would send infielder-outfielder Chone Figgins and pitcher Ervin Santana to Chicago for third baseman Joe Crede and pitcher Freddy Garcia, baseball sources said Monday. The sources said no trade was imminent and other players probably would be included in any deal should negotiations progress.

Crede, 28, hit .283 last season with 30 home runs, more than any Angel except Vladimir Guerrero. He has played for more than a year with two herniated disks in his lower back and has opted for a rehabilitation program rather than surgery this off-season. Figgins, the Angels' center fielder and leadoff hitter last season, lost both jobs when the team signed free-agent Gary Matthews Jr. last week. Figgins is listed as the Angels' third baseman.

The White Sox have top prospect Josh Fields ready to play third base and could replace Garcia with Santana, a younger pitcher with a less-expensive contract. With Garcia owed $10 million next season and Crede expected to make about $5 million in arbitration, the Angels would add about $11 million to their payroll next season. Figgins is signed at $3.5 million; Santana figures to make about $500,000.

Garcia, 30, was 17-9 with a 4.53 earned-run average in 2006. He is eligible for free agency after next season.

Angels General Manager Bill Stoneman remains uncomfortable trading young pitchers. Santana, 23, led the team in victories, going 16-8 with a 4.28 ERA in his first full season. The Angels and White Sox discussed a possible trade at the general managers' meetings three weeks ago, but Stoneman indicated after the subsequent signing of Matthews that he would be reluctant to trade Santana or reliever Scot Shields, even if trading either could bring a power hitter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom