Welcome to the annual MLB Hot Stove thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hewson said:
Thats not funny, its sad.
Jeter is worthy of consideration, but should place 3rd or 4th.
Justin Morneau or Jermaine Dye should finish ahead of him as well as Ortiz, who won't win due to the Red Sox' collpase in August and September.

I really don't see how Jeter can win it, although he probably will. Yes, his avg. was excellent, he stole a lot of bases, he's a gold glove...but the power numbers aren't there at all.

Morneau really deserves to win it, for taking the Twins from God-awful to division winners in a three month span.

But then I see Howard win it in the NL, and if you go by that, Ortiz should win it in the AL. It's not like the Phillies had that much better of a record than the Red Sox, even though they were in it longer.

If Jeter doesn't win then Ortiz should get it. Even if he was the DH, Ortiz was still the MVP for the Red Sox. Without him, they would've been below .500. Even though I can't stand the BoSox, Ortiz kept them in contention.

phanan said:

I really don't see how Jeter can win it... he's a gold glove....
Of course he really didn't deserve the Gold Glove either.
Michael Young or AGonz deserved it.

I mean he's supposedly tagging Jessica Biel now (its just a front, he's really tagging ARod), what more does he deserve.

phanan said:

I think for one year, he'll still be a valuable asset for the Mets. He can still hit.

He's younger than Julio Franco. :wink:

it's a no lose situation because it's only a 1 year deal. he'll be splitting a lot of time with endy chavez as well, so they don't need him to play 150+ games, and when you look at the contracts being given out to soriano, sheffield and offered to lee and drew, then yea... i'm quite happy with alou. spend the money on starting pitching... the lineup is fine as it is anyways.

i'd also like to see them upgrade their bench... franco stopped prdoucing after, oh, april.

I can't believe some asswipe actually typed that Jeter was "tagging" A-rod. How fuckin' lame is that? Let's get back to baseball and leave the gay jokes somewhere else. Preferably next to Micheal Richards' career.

I believe I stated my case for Morneau in the MLB thread at the end of the regular season.
Glad he got it.
I knew Ortiz wouldn't because the Sox fell so far out of contention even though he had the best numbers of anyone, but we know you have to be on a winner to get the MVP.

Post from the MLB Menage a Trois (I hope that doesn't offend anyone) thread on Sept 25:

Hewson said:
I think this is the only one I might disagree with (and it has nothing to do with "Jeets" being a Yankee), a few weeks ago, I was touting Jermaine Dye, but the White Sox have the large fork in them now, so I look at the other playoff teams and one guy has quietly put himself near the top in all 3 triple crown categories...

Your 2006 AL MVP, Justin Morneau...Current stats
.323 Average (5th in league, .16 points behind Jeets)
33 HR (11th in league, 19 more than Jeets)
126 RBI (2nd in league, 30 more than Jeets)

VORP
Jeter - 80.5
Morneau - 52 (26th overall)

Win Shares
Jeter - 33 (1st)
Morneau - 27 (5th)

:hmm:

Definitely surprised when I heard it was Morneau. Keith Olbermann was talking of the selection being an east coast, Yankee backlash. I think that may be a little strong, but it could have played a role. The worst part of his argument was his mentioning of Jeter's fraudulant gold glove that he won this season. Good for Morneau.

Morneau's stats were definately MVP caliber.
Hewson, I don't know which is worse: Your original comment about Jeter "tagging" A-rod or you actually defending that comment. Your "brand of humor" is bogus.

cant we all get along?

00001f.jpg

MrPryck2U said:
Morneau's stats were definately MVP caliber.
Hewson, I don't know which is worse: Your original comment about Jeter "tagging" A-rod or you actually defending that comment. Your "brand of humor" is bogus.

Where did you get the sexual reference in "tagging?" Like Headache said it was in reference to pre-game drills. Geez, where is your mind at?

Fuck it, I'll just get back to talking about baseball. Hewson made reference to Jeter tagging Jessica Biel.(I'm gonna guess that tagging was his euphemism for fucking.)Then he joked that it was a front and he was really tagging A-Rod. I have a great sense of humor, but I'm not going to make any gay jokes. As a result, he was called an asswipe by me. Then I was told to lighten up and that I simply didn't get his brand of humor. To further scrutinize his post, go back to page 9. I guess my point was to not make gay jokes.

I like every type of joke imaginable - black, white, gay, jewish, polish, etc. They are words, not sticks and stones. If I'm insensitive or not PC enough, boo hoo.

Well, this is a message board, so we have only words to go by. Not sticks and stones. I applaud your effort to remain insensitive and anti-pc though.

MrPryck2U said:
Well, this is a message board, so we have only words to go by. Not sticks and stones. I applaud your effort to remain insensitive and anti-pc though.

just because your not PC doesnt mean your against it.......but its not like anyone pulled a Michael Richards (get used to hearing that phrase, lol) Im Polish and I love Polish jokes!

"how'd the Polock break both his arms raking leaves.........falling out of the tree!!"

It's safe to say that mr.pryck has never heard banter between rival teams' fans before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom