Welcome to the annual MLB Hot Stove thread - Page 30 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-15-2006, 08:01 AM   #436
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:02 PM
What are his acting and music opportunities in Arlington?

New York, New York.

Old 12-15-2006, 09:43 AM   #437
ONE
love, blood, life

I'll take Zito over Giles (but would like both)

and what did I just read? The Mets are looking to offer Zambrano a contract? Ugh....

Old 12-15-2006, 10:05 AM   #438
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by MrPryck2U
Oh and BTW, you can't say both! LOL!
why not?

if i had to choose, i'd obviously take zito. but there's no reason why they can't sign both.
Old 12-15-2006, 10:07 AM   #439
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by Numb1075
I'll take Zito over Giles (but would like both)

and what did I just read? The Mets are looking to offer Zambrano a contract? Ugh....
they didn't tender arbitraiton to him so he's a free agent... if they can sign him to a small contract i have no problem with it. if they give him gil meche money (that just sounds silly to say), then i have a problem with it.

one year, 2-3 million? whoopity doo
Old 12-15-2006, 01:16 PM   #440
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

The Mets probably could sign Zito and Giles, but that's a decent chunk of change.
What's great about baseball is that everyone is so passionate about their teams.
The Bosox fans are happy because they signed Matsuzaka after a month of debate.
Yankee fans are happy because they signed Andy Pettite.
Cardinals fans are happy because they ended their 24 year drought and won the World Series.
Phillie fans are happy because Ryan Howard could have many more monster years.
Cubs fans might be happy with all the moves they've made, but we'll see. Remember, these are the Cubs.
Now I've said before that I'm very happy that A-rod is still on the Yanks and could easily return to his 2005 AL MVP form. But, 2005 was so long ago that I don't think anyone remembers that year. Anyway, after last season's "bad" year of batting 290, with 35 HR's and 121 RBI, he could only get better. I know that he can only be measured by what he does in the playoffs, so I'll have to wait out another year to see how he does when things really count.
I've also made the mistake of saying that every other team would love to have him. But just think, would you pay 15 million (Texas is picking up at least 10mil still) for a guy that won the 2005 AL MVP and batted 290 with 35 HR's and 121 RBI? In today's market? I mean the Angels paid 10mil for Gary Mathews! You wouldn't pay 5mil more for A-rod? And it's not like nobody is still bothering the Yanks about him. That was my point. But, If you didn't want him on your team that's understandable.
Old 12-15-2006, 03:09 PM   #441
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:02 PM
I don't want A-Rod on my team, and he is currently on my team. It's not about his season's statistics. Watch the guy every day, and maybe you'll understand. Down 8-1? A-Rod will Homer. Up 11-4. A-Rod will Homer. Down 5-4 in the 7th inning with a runner on 3rd and less than 2 out? A-Rod will tighten his grip and stirkeout. He's not clutch, and, any Yankee fan that watched him against Anaheim at the end of his bogus MVP season of 2005 knows he aint no MVP...key error on routine grounder that allows Anaheim to win Game 2.....Game 5, down 2 runs, Jeter leads off with a single...A-Rod up, chance to come through when needed.....grounds right into a DP. Now, I know he's under a microscope and you could write about smiliar instances for all Yankees in the playoffs or in clutch sitations...just seems to happen to A-Rod more often....and, since he is capable of putting up the stats mentioned in the earlier post, you wonder why he cannot hit more of those 35 HR or knock more of those 121 runs in when it's needed. Also, he just comes off as a whiner, and in The Bronx, that's not gonna cut it, it just won't. I appreciate his skills and would wish him well elsewhere, but, I want him elsewhere.
Old 12-15-2006, 03:13 PM   #442
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

Phillie fans are happy because Ryan Howard could have many more monster years.
What gives you the delusion that Phils fans are satisfied with Ryan Howard winning the MVP? Or that his success is all that matters? If you haven't noticed, Phillies fans are more miserable than ever. It's been 23 years and they've made the playoffs once.

Phillies fans do feel excited somewhat about the next couple of years, because of the following reasons:

1. Ed Wade is gone and cannot screw their minor leagues up anymore, or overpay for underachievers.
2. Pat Gillick has done a hell of a job working out Wade's mistakes and even making a few improvements (i.e.: Freddy Garcia trade).
3. The starting rotation is not half bad this year.
4. The Phillies have a great core of players with Utley, Howard, Rollins, and Victorino.
5. There are a couple of under-the-radar guys who could potentially be big contributors: Vicorino, Chris Coste, Wes Helms.
6. We have 5 months and some cap room to go fix our major Achilles heel, the bullpen.
7. We have to be because the Eagles are going downhill, the Flyers are only relevant when they're dominating, and the Sixers could not possibly be any worse.
Old 12-15-2006, 03:25 PM   #443
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Ok, Philly! Take 'er easy now. So let me get this straight. You're not happy Howard could have more monster years? Just answer that simple question. Don't go into some rant about me being delusional or whatever. Philly fans are a miserable lot, but aren't you happy about Howard's future at least? Remember, I'm not saying you're satisfied, just maybe content with what perhaps could lie ahead for your him in the future.
Old 12-15-2006, 03:29 PM   #444
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Spoken, I guess all I can say is that if A-rod doesn't produce in the playoffs next year, your wish will come true and he'll be elsewhere.
Old 12-15-2006, 04:26 PM   #445
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:02 PM
Not sure that's true, but, the more years of that contract that expire, the better the chances that a team would be willing to deal for him. I really was hoping the Cubs would acquire him.

I just want to now see where Zito ends up. How can it not be the Mets?
Old 12-15-2006, 09:33 PM   #446
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

From Bill Simmons's mailbag:

Quote:
Q: What did Bono say to the Yankees fan after hearing about the J.D. Drew and Julio Lugo signings?

"Well, tonight thank God it's them instead of you!!!!!"
Ouch.
Old 12-15-2006, 10:30 PM   #447
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Ok, Philly! Take 'er easy now. So let me get this straight. You're not happy Howard could have more monster years? Just answer that simple question. Don't go into some rant about me being delusional or whatever. Philly fans are a miserable lot, but aren't you happy about Howard's future at least? Remember, I'm not saying you're satisfied, just maybe content with what perhaps could lie ahead for your him in the future.
Well we like how he could help the team, but the team itself has to play well too. We need a playoff berth bad. I am very happy about Howard but his success alone will not make me content. I was under the impression you thought that. Glad that's cleared up. Sorry about that.

Although what I said is true, we are excited for those reasons. Then again, this is the Phils, we still have a sucky pen and Pat Burrell, and on top of all that, the most predictably awful manager in baseball, Charlie Manuel. You know he's taking your starter out early, every decision will be made based on lefty or righty, and that his press conference will involve the phrases "bump in the road," "heckuva job" (taking a page out of Andy Reid's pseudo menu-chart thing), and about 77 "um"'s.

So, we'll see.
Old 12-18-2006, 01:37 AM   #448
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Thanks for answering the question. I watch a lot of Mets games and I enjoy when the Mets play Philly, especially with their new stadium. I hated the Vet. The turf was dreadful.
Old 12-18-2006, 09:39 AM   #449
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by phillyfan26

7. We have to be because the Eagles are going downhill.

they look good to me lately...hasn't Garcia was like 3 of 4 so far?
Old 12-18-2006, 09:51 AM   #450
Blue Crack Distributor

can't we keep the eagles to the nfl thread