Welcome to the annual MLB Hot Stove thread - Page 28 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-13-2006, 11:45 AM   #406
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 01:43 AM
I half agree with you. The Rangers put all of their apples in one basket when they signed Alex. But, they needed a more balanced team. After Alex left, they tried to have a balanced team with some success, but not enough. They canned Showalter, who might be a dick, bit he knows baseball. Maybe the Rangers firing Showlater was a good thing. Afterall, the two other teams he managed (Yanks and D-Backs) won the World Series the season after he left.

Old 12-13-2006, 12:56 PM   #407
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:43 PM
I didn't like firing Buck, but I think Washington is going to be a good, competent manager and I hear he's an extremely intelligent baseball man.

I live Rangers baseball (and a sorry life it is, sometimes) from April to September each year, so I'm well aware of their problems. I think Lofton was a poor choice as a gap filler since GMJ left, but if Gagne can avoid injury, I think he and Aki make a great one-two punch at the end of the bullpen.

The offense can survive without a GMJ, who was overpaid by the Los Angeles Angels of Planet Earth anyway. I also like the addition of an old Rangers favorite, Frank Cattalanotto. The old problems are going to be there, as always, but I think things are getting slightly better. I don't like Vicente Padilla personally, but after the year he put together last year, I'm glad to keep him around. As lackluster as that year was relative to the rest of the league, it was a good year for a Rangers pitcher. I honestly think the Rangers will make the playoffs in the next four seasons.

Old 12-13-2006, 12:59 PM   #408
Blue Crack Addict

Apparently Matsuzaka is on a plane to Boston - I guess a deal has happened now.
Old 12-13-2006, 01:44 PM   #409
Blue Crack Addict

http://sports.aol.com/mlb/story/_a/m...90001?cid=1690
Old 12-13-2006, 02:23 PM   #410
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

It's not done yet. The BoSox have until tomorrow.
Old 12-13-2006, 02:35 PM   #411
Blue Crack Addict

Yeah he's probably flying to Boston to sample our world famous sushi.
Or look for a job as a hibachi chef at Bisuteki.
Old 12-13-2006, 02:50 PM   #412
Blue Crack Addict

Unconfirmed reports have the deal at $52 million for six years.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...x.html?cnn=yes

So factor in the $51.1 million bid, and it comes out to a little over $17 million a year.

As crazy as that seems, if he ends up being the pitcher everyone says he is, that could be a steal in this market.
Old 12-13-2006, 02:54 PM   #413
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

When Matsuzaka appears at a press conference announcing the signing, that's when the deal is done.
Old 12-13-2006, 02:57 PM   #414
Blue Crack Addict

If its 52 mil for 6 years, Matsuzaka basically told Bor-ass to shut up and get him a deal, casue no way Boras settles for his commission on only $9mil or so a year for this guy.

So if (big if) this is accurate, Sox have a rotation of:
Schilling at $14 mil
Beckett at $10 mil
Matsuzaka at $8.67 mil
Wakefield at $4mil
Papelbon at $450K

And Jason Schmidt is getting almost $16mil a year.
Old 12-13-2006, 02:58 PM   #415
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by MrPryck2U
When Matsuzaka appears at a press conference announcing the signing, that's when the deal is done.
Gotta keep those pinstriped hopes alive as long as possible.
Old 12-13-2006, 03:16 PM   #416
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:43 PM
I like the Schmidt deal because it's only a 3 year contract, which right now is amazingly short, and, because despite the health issues, he's averaged over 200 innings a year for the past 5 years.

As for Matsuzaka, cannot wait to see him pitch. I hate the Red Sox like I have set list whiners but there will be a buzz for his first few starts, at least. And, as you guys know, the Sox did not pay that sort of $$$ just for a pitcher, they paid it to open up the Asian market for Red Sox baseball. Should be interesting.

As for the Rangers, someone wake me when they assemble a rotation. I remember when the Yankees played them in 98 and 99 in the ALDS. Swept them both times, and, gave up one run combined in each series. This was a Rangers team with a lot of offense (they scored over 900 runs each season), but not a lot of pitching. Those were great Yankee staffs, so, of course, the Rangers failed. Now, they start spending on Gagne, Padilla, 2 guys with arm trouble history (yes, Padilla had a good year last year, I know, but he's never once tossed more than 208 innings)...and they add Lofton. Not convinced these are smart moves, and if Schmidt is bad a 3 at 16 per, how is Padilla good at 3 for 11 per? But, that's what makes the Hot Stove fun, debating things like this. I just have no faith in the Texas organization.

I hate A-Rod, just thought I'd toss that in there. Every day I hope that the Yanks will deal him, but, if the Cubs have not gobbled him up via a deal yet, who the hell will??? Nobody.
Old 12-13-2006, 03:43 PM   #417
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Yes, I'm rooting for the BoSox to screw this up, but they'll probably sign him. I'll also add that I'm very happy A-rod is still on the Yanks. Every team in baseball would love to have him on their team, but the Yanks have him. Obviously, if he fails to produce in the playoffs in 2007, he's gone. Sadly, next year will more than likely be Joe Torre's last year with the Yanks whether the Yanks win or not.
If the BoSox don't sign Matsuzaka, they get their 51mil back and also prevent the Yanks from signing him. Plus, Matsuzaka can't be a free agent for another three years. He's the one that gets screwed here. But, everyone is supposed to operate in good faith, so it will probably get done.
Old 12-13-2006, 04:38 PM   #418
Blue Crack Supplier

Actually, as a Phillies fan I'd hate to have $25 million go out every year to an overrated player like A-Rod.

Pat Burrell makes half as much of A-Rod's money and produces about 75% of what he does. I consider Burrell one of the most overpaid players in the league. Where does that leave A-Rod? THE single most overpaid player in all of sports history. Some players have been worth that much in certain sports, like Jordan to the Bulls, but A-Rod's worth about a third of that.
Old 12-13-2006, 04:51 PM   #419
Blue Crack Addict

You know things are crazy when they keep track of where Matsuzaka's plane is at the moment.

http://bostondirtdogs.boston.com/Hea..._da_pla_2.html
Old 12-13-2006, 05:31 PM   #420
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Oh no, another A-rod debate. LOL! I guess we'll have to wait and see with him. The most overpaid player won the MVP in 2005 and 2003. When Howard wins another MVP and the Phillies don't make it to the playoffs, are folks gonna say he's taking a lesson from A-rod? Yes, I know that Howard makes piss compared to A-rod, but he puts up numbers like A-rod did.