Welcome to the annual MLB Hot Stove thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So far the Yanks have trimmed some financial fat. First Sheff and his 13 mil and then 3 mil off of Wright's salary. They've only just begun in Yankeeland. More moves are on the way.

phillyfan26 said:
Phils going for Soriano :huh:

They badly need these things:
- Pitching
- Manager
- Pitching
- Pitching
- Pitching
- Pitching
- Pitching

And above all else, pitching. Why spend $100 mil on Soriano when you have HUGE holes with pitching?

wasn't their young pitching supposed to be the phill's strong point? what happened?

i don't think the yankees are going to do anything huge as far as adding more salary. they've been losing money for 3-4 years... there's only so long they can keep doing this.

the worst kept secret to explain their consistant increase in payroll every year since losing to the marlins is that the yankees brass were trying to get one more championship for steinbrenner before he rode off into the sunset... ya' don't need columbo to figure out that the boss' health has been slipping the past few years... and it was rumored (all be it denied) that he suffered a stroke a couple of years ago. so they've been in panic mode to get one more ring for king george the third.

that said... everyone has their financial breaking points... with a self financed stadium being built, i would not be surprised to see the yankees cut back a bit on the salary for a few years, staying competitive for the AL East crown every year, but not crackin' the 200 million mark on salary like htey did this past year... perhaps getting down to a more "reasonable" 150-160 million. :shrug: or they could be stockpiling guys to make a run at some other high priced, over-rated vet that ultimately will be of no value come playoff time... coughcoughcoughbobbyabreaucoughcough.

Mets stadium: CitiField?
Citigroup is the likely winner for the naming rights of a new Mets stadium.
BY KEN DAVIDOFF AND JULIET CHUNG
Newsday Staff Writers

Shea what?

The Mets have struck a naming-rights deal with Citigroup for their new stadium, according to a person familiar with the situation, and the new ballpark -- set to open in 2009 -- will be called CitiField.

That means the Amazins' will no longer call their home "Shea" -- and nearly two dozen fans interviewed Friday were not pleased.

The new name will be announced Monday, when the Mets hold a ceremonial groundbreaking at Shea Stadium, which is scheduled to close its doors in the fall of 2008. The new stadium, being built next to Shea, will rise in what is now a parking area.

"It's weak because it's commercialization of a landmark," Mike Afromowitz, 30, of Manhattan, said of the new name. "I grew up as a fan liking the Mets, and for them to change it would be kind of a slap in the face."

Though the exact figure that Citigroup paid for the naming rights could not be attained, the person familiar with the situation described the fee as "huge."

It's believed that it will set a new record for such revenue, topping the roughly $10 million per season the NFL's Houston Texans receive from Reliant Energy to call their home Reliant Stadium. However, the Giants and Jets will probably beat the Mets when they complete their deal for a shared new stadium in New Jersey's Meadowlands.

Bobby Humphrey, 49, of New Jersey, said calling the new stadium "Citi-whatever" would not be a good marketing move.

"I think that's a bad name," Humphrey said. "It's almost a landmark, like Yankee Stadium."

Outside Modell's sporting goods store in Farmingdale, Greg Tavari, 9, of Rockland County, said he doesn't like when stadiums are named after corporations.

"I think they should keep the name the stadium was originally given," he said. "Everybody knows it as Shea Stadium and they should keep that."

The Mets declined to comment on all matters relating to the naming rights. They have continually asserted that they would do away with the Shea name upon moving, instead going with a corporate title. Such agreements have become commonplace in the world of professional sports, although the Yankees, who also intend to open a new ballpark in 2009, will take their famous name, Yankee Stadium, with them.

Citigroup, a financial-services company, boasts of "some 200 million customer accounts in more than 100 countries" on its Web site. Citibank, one of its subsidiaries, dates to 1812.

In the past month, Citibank conducted Internet surveys to test out potential names for the new ballpark.

The list of proposals included Citigroup Ballpark, Citi Ballpark, Citibank Ballpark, Citibank Yard, Citibank Coliseum, Citibank Diamond and Citibank Field.

The name CitiField was chosen partly in mind with how well it would play to New York City officials.

Officials from both the city and state will be in attendance Monday, as Gov. George Pataki and New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg head the list of dignitaries. Mets chief executive Fred Wilpon and his son, chief operating officer Jeff Wilpon, will appear, as will Mets manager Willie Randolph and players John Maine, Jose Reyes and David Wright.

first, i like it... CitiField... it could be much, much worse. the biggest building in queens is what... the CitiCorp buildling. citifield of course goes with it being new york city and all as well. the only negative i see is that banks tend to change hands... although a bank as large as CitiCorp, i don't forsee that happening anytime soon.

yes, this will be the first corporate sponsorship of a stadium in new york city. but so what... what the hell is shea stadium other than an aging relic of the worst period in stadium construction in american history? the met fan in that article who compared shea stadium to yankee fan is living in a dilusionary world and needs a reality check. as a met fan, i love shea, too... but i don't love it 'cause it's so nice... the place is a shit hole. i love it because it's ours... and i will love the new one even more.

could have been worse... think Banco Popular Estadia.

i don't think many met fans will be complaining when the 15+ million per season that Citi will be giving the mets goes to add another pitcher or two..

Last edited:
i guess this is another potential negative... the fact that the team that's been struggling for it's own identity is going to be building a stadium that is more or less a tribute to the brooklyn dodgers.

alas, i'm over it already.

apparently the naming rights for the stadium is gonna cost CitiGroup in the range of $20 million per season.:ohmy:

img_citifield_view_hp_450x338.jpg

img_citifield_exterior_night_450x300.jpg

img_citifield_jrrotunda_450x338.jpg

img_citifield_siteplan_450x338.jpg

Numb1075 said:
where's the Pepsi Picnic Area & the rotten home run apple?

the apple is there... you just have to look closer..

296579604_263d7a5af7_o.jpg

it's always been there, but it seems to have moved from the original drawing...

296579630_63531d34d0_o.jpg

there are other subtle changes between the two drawings as well, and by the time the finished product arrives i'm sure we'll see quite a few more changes, some major, most subtle.

the fan/picnic section is also still there, behind the scoreboard...
img_citifield2_450x338.jpg

with actual seats in the outfield, there is no longer a need to connect this area with an auxilary bleacher, like there is at shea.

Last edited:
they're really keeping the apple?:shocked:

too funny.

hopefully they get a new apple or at least remove all the dents from the old one. How did that thing get so dented to begin with?:scratch:

The Yanks haven't lost money in years. They aren't concerned about payroll really. The Boss is getting old so of course his health ain't going to be the greatest. Remember the Yanks haven't won the Series in 6 years, but attendance has increased every year since then. The last two years attendance has exceeded 4 million! The Yanks don't need to win the Series because they're already World Champs at the box office. Asses in seats, that's what it's all about! Oh yes, did I mention that they have their own network which was the number one rated regional sports network. It ain't easy being the Evil Empire.

MrPryck2U said:
The Yanks haven't lost money in years. They aren't concerned about payroll really. The Boss is getting old so of course his health ain't going to be the greatest. Remember the Yanks haven't won the Series in 6 years, but attendance has increased every year since then. The last two years attendance has exceeded 4 million! The Yanks don't need to win the Series because they're already World Champs at the box office. Asses in seats, that's what it's all about! Oh yes, did I mention that they have their own network which was the number one rated regional sports network. It ain't easy being the Evil Empire.

actually you're wrong... the yankees lost money in 2004 and 2005... 2006's totals aren't out yet, but i would think it would be safe to assume that they lost money this year, too, based on the financials from the years before.

The New York Yankees lost between $50 million and $85 million for the 2005 season, the New York Daily News reported Sunday.

Despite drawing more than four million fans, a payroll of $200 million plus an additional $110 million in revenue sharing and luxury taxes has left the Yankees in the red, according to the paper.

"Yes, even George has his limits," one source told the Daily News.

The paper also reports that the Yankees might have to open up their checkbooks even further if a consultant hired by MLB decides the team undervalued their television rights.

The Yankees currently charge the YES Network about $60 million a year to broadcast games, but if it's found to be undervalued, the Yankees will have to make up the difference by putting more money into the revenue-sharing fund, the paper reported.

"They're going to owe us money," one MLB source predicted to the paper.

The final numbers won't be crunched for a few months, but it's believed the final number will be roughly $80 million when all is tallied. According to Forbes magazine, the Yankees lost $37.1 million in 2004.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2247401

the yankees are, in fact, losing money every year. they keep spending it regardless.

Last edited:
HOK needs to come up with some new ideas. All these new stadiums are looking very similiar. It's like they are the new cookie cutter.

Forbes is legit for sure, but I still question the info because the Yanks are also number one in MLB merch if not overall sports merch. I have a habit of distrusting so-called figures. Especially something like 37.1 million. If the Yanks aren't making money, then who is for that matter? Look at the Mets. CitiBank is paying 20 mil a year for the naming rights to their new stadium. Why do they need this money? I guess they are losing money too. Maybe more than the Yanks.

51.1 million dollars just to negotiate with 1 player :crack:

marlins entire payroll = 15 million

:crack:

it's especially crazy since that this is the same team that wouldn't pony up a few extra million for damon.

If everything works out, the Sox will have a very dominant staff of young pitchers - everything meaning Beckett gets his act togther, Papelbon making a good transition, and Lester being able to recover from cancer and improve. Not too much to ask for right?

didnt theo complain about a lack of resources earlier this year?

i think he's given up the right to use that excuse anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom