Welcome to the annual MLB Hot Stove thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
MrPryck2U said:
I'll also add that I'm very happy A-rod is still on the Yanks. Every team in baseball would love to have him on their team, but the Yanks have him.

Do you honestly believe that every team would want Arod? I think that's the most far fetched statement I've heard all month.

MrPryck2U said:
Oh no, another A-rod debate. LOL! I guess we'll have to wait and see with him. The most overpaid player won the MVP in 2005 and 2003. When Howard wins another MVP and the Phillies don't make it to the playoffs, are folks gonna say he's taking a lesson from A-rod? Yes, I know that Howard makes piss compared to A-rod, but he puts up numbers like A-rod did.

Alex Rodriguez 2003 .298 47 HR 118 RBI
Ryan Howard 2006 .313 58 HR 149 RBI
Texas Rangers 2003 71-97
Philadelphia Phillies 2006 85-77

Howard was significantly better statistically, with 31 more RBIs, 11 more HRs, and 15 points better BA. The Phillies won 14 more games than Texas, lost 20 less games, so he led his team to a much better season than A-Rod, and let's not forget his value through making $500,000 while A-Rod makes 51 TIMES that amount.

So, as Howard is still very young and will most likely improve with age, I would say absolutely no one in the world except you would say he's taking a lesson from A-Rod. His numbers are better, with a salary divided by 51.

But hey, if that really calls for you to laugh out loud, be my guest.

I was Laughing Out Loud to another A-rod debate. You showed my quote, but still didn't get my point. Ugh. When the Phillies don't make the playoffs, but Howard wins the MVP, folks might (SARCASTICALLY) say that he's taking a lesson from A-rod.

phillyfan26 said:

Alex Rodriguez 2003 .298 47 HR 118 RBI
Ryan Howard 2006 .313 58 HR 149 RBI
Texas Rangers 2003 71-97
Philadelphia Phillies 2006 85-77

Howard was significantly better statistically, with 31 more RBIs, 11 more HRs, and 15 points better BA. The Phillies won 14 more games than Texas, lost 20 less games, so he led his team to a much better season than A-Rod, and let's not forget his value through making $500,000 while A-Rod makes 51 TIMES that amount.

So, as Howard is still very young and will most likely improve with age, I would say absolutely no one in the world except you would say he's taking a lesson from A-Rod. His numbers are better, with a salary divided by 51.

But hey, if that really calls for you to laugh out loud, be my guest.

first off, a-rod has a 57 homerun season on his record. he also had a 40/40 season on his record. as great as ryan howard was last year, to compare him to a-rod is utterly ridiculous. howard's had one good season and one great season. that's it.

and as for the ryan howard is much younger thing... ryan howard is 4 years younger than alex rodriguez. the phillies were so fucking innept and stupid in their handling of ryan howard that despite being only in his second season, he's already 27 years old.

think about that... two years of service, 27 years old. the room for improvement is not as great as if he were 22/23. he's 27.. he's friggin almost 30 already. that's how stupid the phillies management is. they have an absolute beast in their own minor league system, but they keep him down there for longer than neccesary because they traded for friggin jim thome.

fucking morons.

ho ho ho
26871208.jpg

The Braves' decision to not offer Marcus Giles a contract by last night's midnight deadline and make him a free agent opened a potentially intriguing door for the Mets.

Jose Valentin already is signed for $3.8 million next year, but the Mets still appear to be open to upgrading there, and landing Giles would represent exactly that.

The Padres are the clear front-runners for Giles because they have an opening at second base, his brother Brian plays rightfield and their family grew up around the area.

But Giles' agent, Joe Bick, would not rule the Mets out as a possibility. "We're going to explore all the possibilities, and they're certainly someone we'll look at closely," he said.

The Braves have been shopping Giles all winter, and they came close to shipping him to the Orioles. Even though Giles slumped last season with his lowest average (.262) and on-base percentage (.341) in four seasons, he still probably would have received a raise in arbitration.

Bick said Giles' preference is to play for a team with title aspirations. The Padres and Mets both fit that. "Marcus is used to playing on a team in the hunt," he said, "and that's certainly his choice to continue on a team in contention."

As for the Mets, they did not tender a contract to Victor Zambrano because the lowest salary they could have offered him through the arbitration process is $2.4 million. But team officials still intend to try to work out a new contract with him. The Mets also announced the signing of pitcher Dave Williams to a one-year deal for $1.25 million.

:hmm:

MrPryck2U said:
I was Laughing Out Loud to another A-rod debate. You showed my quote, but still didn't get my point. Ugh. When the Phillies don't make the playoffs, but Howard wins the MVP, folks might (SARCASTICALLY) say that he's taking a lesson from A-rod.

You said A-Rod was envied by all teams in baseball, and I replied that I wouldn't want a waste of $25 million. To me, by laughing at me making that statement, your challenging my point, so that's where I was coming from. Sorry if I didn't get your humor, especially when the joke is more on you as a Yanks fan than anything. I know you were being sarcastic, but I didn't really see much humor.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
first off, a-rod has a 57 homerun season on his record. he also had a 40/40 season on his record. as great as ryan howard was last year, to compare him to a-rod is utterly ridiculous. howard's had one good season and one great season. that's it.

and as for the ryan howard is much younger thing... ryan howard is 4 years younger than alex rodriguez. the phillies were so fucking innept and stupid in their handling of ryan howard that despite being only in his second season, he's already 27 years old.

think about that... two years of service, 27 years old. the room for improvement is not as great as if he were 22/23. he's 27.. he's friggin almost 30 already. that's how stupid the phillies management is. they have an absolute beast in their own minor league system, but they keep him down there for longer than neccesary because they traded for friggin jim thome.

fucking morons.

I didn't compare him to Howard, Pryck did. I simply pointed out that in his MVP season was better statistically than A-Rod's and he was clearly more valuable to his team, as team success, personal success, and money clearly showed.

I know he's not that young (four years is still pretty significant, though I admit my original statement made it sound a lot longer), and I know the Phils organizations is stupid. Pat Gillick has had an uphill battle from Day One, and quite frankly, he's done a hell of a job. Ed Wade was a huge moron. The only reason this wasn't talked about more was because of Billy King GMing in the same town at the same time. They did the same thing with Utley, who's the same age and has only been playing for 3 and a half.

Apparently Zito is down to Mets and Rangers for sure. The Rangers have put a bigger offer on the table, so now it's all about whether he wants to go to New York or hang out with me in Arlington.

The Rangers (along with the D-Backs) have also made an offer to Mulder, who has a good relationship with Ron Washington and obviously Zito. I think if Zito comes to Texas, Mulder is likely to follow.

Last edited:
I'll take Zito over Giles (but would like both)

and what did I just read? The Mets are looking to offer Zambrano a contract? Ugh....

Numb1075 said:
I'll take Zito over Giles (but would like both)

and what did I just read? The Mets are looking to offer Zambrano a contract? Ugh....

they didn't tender arbitraiton to him so he's a free agent... if they can sign him to a small contract i have no problem with it. if they give him gil meche money (that just sounds silly to say), then i have a problem with it.

one year, 2-3 million? whoopity doo

The Mets probably could sign Zito and Giles, but that's a decent chunk of change.
What's great about baseball is that everyone is so passionate about their teams.
The Bosox fans are happy because they signed Matsuzaka after a month of debate.
Yankee fans are happy because they signed Andy Pettite.
Cardinals fans are happy because they ended their 24 year drought and won the World Series.
Phillie fans are happy because Ryan Howard could have many more monster years.
Cubs fans might be happy with all the moves they've made, but we'll see. Remember, these are the Cubs.
Now I've said before that I'm very happy that A-rod is still on the Yanks and could easily return to his 2005 AL MVP form. But, 2005 was so long ago that I don't think anyone remembers that year. Anyway, after last season's "bad" year of batting 290, with 35 HR's and 121 RBI, he could only get better. I know that he can only be measured by what he does in the playoffs, so I'll have to wait out another year to see how he does when things really count.
I've also made the mistake of saying that every other team would love to have him. But just think, would you pay 15 million (Texas is picking up at least 10mil still) for a guy that won the 2005 AL MVP and batted 290 with 35 HR's and 121 RBI? In today's market? I mean the Angels paid 10mil for Gary Mathews! You wouldn't pay 5mil more for A-rod? And it's not like nobody is still bothering the Yanks about him. That was my point. But, If you didn't want him on your team that's understandable.

I don't want A-Rod on my team, and he is currently on my team. It's not about his season's statistics. Watch the guy every day, and maybe you'll understand. Down 8-1? A-Rod will Homer. Up 11-4. A-Rod will Homer. Down 5-4 in the 7th inning with a runner on 3rd and less than 2 out? A-Rod will tighten his grip and stirkeout. He's not clutch, and, any Yankee fan that watched him against Anaheim at the end of his bogus MVP season of 2005 knows he aint no MVP...key error on routine grounder that allows Anaheim to win Game 2.....Game 5, down 2 runs, Jeter leads off with a single...A-Rod up, chance to come through when needed.....grounds right into a DP. Now, I know he's under a microscope and you could write about smiliar instances for all Yankees in the playoffs or in clutch sitations...just seems to happen to A-Rod more often....and, since he is capable of putting up the stats mentioned in the earlier post, you wonder why he cannot hit more of those 35 HR or knock more of those 121 runs in when it's needed. Also, he just comes off as a whiner, and in The Bronx, that's not gonna cut it, it just won't. I appreciate his skills and would wish him well elsewhere, but, I want him elsewhere.

MrPryck2U said:

Phillie fans are happy because Ryan Howard could have many more monster years.

What gives you the delusion that Phils fans are satisfied with Ryan Howard winning the MVP? Or that his success is all that matters? If you haven't noticed, Phillies fans are more miserable than ever. It's been 23 years and they've made the playoffs once.

Phillies fans do feel excited somewhat about the next couple of years, because of the following reasons:

1. Ed Wade is gone and cannot screw their minor leagues up anymore, or overpay for underachievers.
2. Pat Gillick has done a hell of a job working out Wade's mistakes and even making a few improvements (i.e.: Freddy Garcia trade).
3. The starting rotation is not half bad this year.
4. The Phillies have a great core of players with Utley, Howard, Rollins, and Victorino.
5. There are a couple of under-the-radar guys who could potentially be big contributors: Vicorino, Chris Coste, Wes Helms.
6. We have 5 months and some cap room to go fix our major Achilles heel, the bullpen.
7. We have to be because the Eagles are going downhill, the Flyers are only relevant when they're dominating, and the Sixers could not possibly be any worse.

Ok, Philly! Take 'er easy now. So let me get this straight. You're not happy Howard could have more monster years? Just answer that simple question. Don't go into some rant about me being delusional or whatever. Philly fans are a miserable lot, but aren't you happy about Howard's future at least? Remember, I'm not saying you're satisfied, just maybe content with what perhaps could lie ahead for your him in the future.

Spoken, I guess all I can say is that if A-rod doesn't produce in the playoffs next year, your wish will come true and he'll be elsewhere.

Not sure that's true, but, the more years of that contract that expire, the better the chances that a team would be willing to deal for him. I really was hoping the Cubs would acquire him.

I just want to now see where Zito ends up. How can it not be the Mets?

MrPryck2U said:
Ok, Philly! Take 'er easy now. So let me get this straight. You're not happy Howard could have more monster years? Just answer that simple question. Don't go into some rant about me being delusional or whatever. Philly fans are a miserable lot, but aren't you happy about Howard's future at least? Remember, I'm not saying you're satisfied, just maybe content with what perhaps could lie ahead for your him in the future.

Well we like how he could help the team, but the team itself has to play well too. We need a playoff berth bad. I am very happy about Howard but his success alone will not make me content. I was under the impression you thought that. Glad that's cleared up. Sorry about that.

Although what I said is true, we are excited for those reasons. Then again, this is the Phils, we still have a sucky pen and Pat Burrell, and on top of all that, the most predictably awful manager in baseball, Charlie Manuel. You know he's taking your starter out early, every decision will be made based on lefty or righty, and that his press conference will involve the phrases "bump in the road," "heckuva job" (taking a page out of Andy Reid's pseudo menu-chart thing), and about 77 "um"'s.

So, we'll see. :D

Thanks for answering the question. I watch a lot of Mets games and I enjoy when the Mets play Philly, especially with their new stadium. I hated the Vet. The turf was dreadful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom