Welcome to the annual MLB Hot Stove thread - Page 13 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-23-2006, 09:19 PM   #181
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:41 AM
What, no turkey signings today?

Old 11-23-2006, 10:17 PM   #182
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase

so in reality, who really is the most valuable player(s)?
See NL MVP:

Ryan Howard - $355,000
Albert Pujols - $14 million

Maybe a secondary reason...? Actual value...

Old 11-24-2006, 01:12 AM   #183
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

oh please, pujols got screwed out of the mvp.

yep, pujols got 14 million after everything was said and done so he didn't have to hit the FA market where soriano receives a cool 17 million a year. i can't wait till this happens to the phillies and howard and they are paying 20+ at this rate. then we'll see where that .210 BA with RISP value comes from when he's getting paid that
Old 11-25-2006, 01:19 AM   #184
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Houston signed Carlos Lee for 6 years at 100 million dollars.
Old 11-27-2006, 09:26 AM   #185
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by MrPryck2U
Houston signed Carlos Lee for 6 years at 100 million dollars.
and he's basically one dimensional

at least soriano steals a boat load of bases and has a solid throwing arm.
Old 11-27-2006, 11:15 AM   #186
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Yeah, I think Soriano is way better than Carlos Lee.
Old 11-27-2006, 12:22 PM   #187
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by Chizip
David Wright is overrated, talk about coming up small in the playoffs, yikes
one world series victory and we completely forget about the consistant chokings of the st. louis cardinals in the post-season in recent years.

wright had a sub-par second half, and wasn't good in the playoffs.

i don't drink the david wright's going to the hall of fame kool-aid like many met fans... waaaaay too early to make such an asinine statement. but over-rated? not quite yet. if he puts up another few stinkers, fine... two bad months? slow down.

and it's not like albert pujols was dominating for the cardinals... RBIs over three playoff series for the #3 hitter? he must be over-rated, too!

try not.
Old 11-27-2006, 03:17 PM   #188
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

How bout this one? Neither Wright or Pujols is overrated. Wright is a young player who has been on the rise in his 2 years in the Majors. Pujols, is by now, and established star who has battled injuries of some sort every year. From my eyes, both players are where they want to be for right now. Wright got a taste of the NLCS and you know he's salivating for more. Pujols tasted the World Series with a better Cards' team, but won with the 2006 overachieving World Series Champion Cards instead. I'm sure he's happy with that. Now, Pujols' goal is to go out and do it again.
Wright's goal is the same and now he's got some playoff experience under his belt. Wright and teammate Jose Reyes will have(barring injury) better seasons in 2007. I think Reyes will be the bigger star, but Wright will be a star as well.

So, I'm straddling the fence and saying that neither David Wright or Albert Pujols are overrated. But, give Wright a few more years to to inshrine hime into the Hall Of Fame.

Which reminds me... The HOF ballots were announced. Look for Gwynn, Ripken and Big Mac to get in.
Old 11-27-2006, 03:45 PM   #189
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by StlElevation
oh please, pujols got screwed out of the mvp.

yep, pujols got 14 million after everything was said and done so he didn't have to hit the FA market where soriano receives a cool 17 million a year. i can't wait till this happens to the phillies and howard and they are paying 20+ at this rate. then we'll see where that .210 BA with RISP value comes from when he's getting paid that
As I've said, yes, this is true. I'm just stating that there are clear and pretty obvious reasons to vote for Howard. No one's ever called the baseball writers association unbiased. He had a great story, he made much less money, he was a fan favorite, everyone digs the long ball and he had more (only cause of Pujols' injury, a fact they seem to overlook), and Howard was on a team that was shittier than the Cardinals. Makes him stand out more.

Pujols was clearly a better player, and with the value to the team thing being so similar, Pujols should have won.

His .210 BA with RISP came primarily from the first half of the year when the whole team was complete shit. But in July and August, I can't tell you how many big hits Howard had. From singles to homers, he was always managing to knock guys in.

That was where he got the votes from: that late-July to early-September stretch.
Old 11-27-2006, 04:03 PM   #190
ONE
love, blood, life

ESPN is reporting that there's a strong possibility that Manny Ramirez will be dealt by Saturday.
Old 11-27-2006, 04:42 PM   #191
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:41 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Numb1075
ESPN is reporting that there's a strong possibility that Manny Ramirez will be dealt by Saturday.

To whom and to where?
Old 11-27-2006, 04:47 PM   #192
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by Numb1075
As a Red Sox fan, I'd rather see them keep Manny. I don't understand dumping his salary/attitude only to turn around and pay JD 'Nancy' Drew $15 million per year.

The only potential trade rumbling that got my attention was to the Angels for Brandon Wood / Ervin Santana. And that one doesn't seem to be in the cards.

Here's hoping the centerpiece of any deal isn't just a good relief pitcher and a couple O.K. prospects. That's pennies on the dollar for Manny.
Old 11-27-2006, 04:52 PM   #193
Blue Crack Addict

The article mentions the Giants, something the San Francisco Chronicle alluded to this past weekend as well.

I don't know what they would have to offer other than prospects, though.
Old 11-27-2006, 04:55 PM   #194
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:41 AM
If I'm boston and I am set on trading him (I wouldn't), I would do my best to raid the Dodgers treasure chest of youngsters.
Old 11-27-2006, 08:10 PM   #195
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by phillyfan26

As I've said, yes, this is true. I'm just stating that there are clear and pretty obvious reasons to vote for Howard. No one's ever called the baseball writers association unbiased. He had a great story, he made much less money, he was a fan favorite, everyone digs the long ball and he had more (only cause of Pujols' injury, a fact they seem to overlook), and Howard was on a team that was shittier than the Cardinals. Makes him stand out more.

Pujols was clearly a better player, and with the value to the team thing being so similar, Pujols should have won.

His .210 BA with RISP came primarily from the first half of the year when the whole team was complete shit. But in July and August, I can't tell you how many big hits Howard had. From singles to homers, he was always managing to knock guys in.

That was where he got the votes from: that late-July to early-September stretch.
how much shittier were the phillies than the cardinals in the regular season? Philadelphia's record was two games better than your world champion st. louis cardinals record. so there goes that theory.

what difference does it make how much money a person makes in determining their value to a team in a given season? sure from a general managers aspect it will matter in regards with what to do with the ballclub in upcoming seasons, but from a writers standpoint it should mean squat. pujols was the most valueable player in the league clearly yet didn't win the award.

pre all-star break howard had 28 HR, 71 RBI. post all star break howard had 30 HR, 78 RBI but granted 40 more walks and he hit for a higher average.

games in april and may count just as much as a game in july or august.