Welcome to the annual MLB Hot Stove thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Headache in a Suitcase said:

i'd prefer it if you did not use the words "scott kazmir" and "traded" in the same post, please. it brings back bad memories.

thank you.

If the Mets hadn't made that stupid trade, the Red Sox would've won the AL East two years ago and probably 3-4 more games last season.

Thanks Mets!

:madspit:

Numb1075 said:
Bonds still wants 18 million.

all of the hoopla aside:

he hit 26 dingers, had 77 RBIs, batted .270, and played 130 games last season.

those numbers certainly arent' worthy of that kind of cash. He's dreaming.
Not strictly as performance on the field.
However as Headache said, Bonds will put asses in seats.
Lets say you're a team that rarely sells games out.
Lets say the addition of Bonds adds an average of 3000 (I'd say thats a conservative estimate) seats per game at an average of 20 bucks per seat.
3,000 x 20 x 81 games = $4.86 Million in ticket revenue alone.
Lets say those extra 240,000 or so attendees each also eat 1 hot dog and drink 1 soda or beer( or a tofu dog and a chablis if its the Angels or Dodgers), thats conservatively another 2.4 Million.

In the right market Bonds' 18 Million could be at least half covered (and likely more) by added attendance and concessions. Plus possible increased ad revenue etc. it makes a lot of sense for any number of teams while he chases Aaron.

While I agree w/ this, where is the right market? He gets booed at every stadium he goes to (outside of SF). Do you think that if he went to another club that the fans would embrace him?

but then again st. louis is reportedly going after him, and they don't need any help selling out that stadium. :shrug:

St Louis plans to make the money back by selling Barry Bobbleheads.
Problem is they have to use watermelons for the head on the bobblehead.

St louis now is apparently not interested in Bonds.

garcia will fare alright in philadelphia, though pitching in that ballpark certainly won't help him at all seeing as how as chizip said his HR rate has been increasing.

probably not at first, but if he produces, the fans will cheer him. fans are sell outs. it's easy to hate someone when he doesn't play for your team... but when that hated person is putting up numbers for your team, ya tend to forget about all the reasons why ya hate him.

JD Drew will put that theory to the test this season. Here's hoping he puts numbers up otherwise he stands to be treated a lot worse than Jose Offerman was.

I've heard people say that Bonds put asses in seats, but why is he such a douchebag? Why, Barry, why? His agent said that he could get a deal done for Barry in a snap. No one should pay Barry 18mil to hear him bitch about how the media's out to get him. Duh, we already know that!
Anyway, I liked Barry until he signed with SF. From the press conference announcing his signing until right now, Barry has been a first class douchebag. If the HOF doesn't vote Big Mac in, what's Barry in for when he finally retires.

Garcia Trade

The only downside I can see in this deal is that Gio Gonzalez is a highly touted prospect, the hard-throwing 21-year old lefty that is the "player to be named later, really, we mean it, you don't know who it is yet."

The AL to NL transition will help a little, though CBP might off-set that. He allows us to deal Jon "I'll Be In Shape By August" Lieber for bullpen help. The main thing is the innings. The Phils didn't have a single 200+ inning pitcher last year, while he's done it six years in a row. Thank God our already rocky bullpen will get a break every fifth day.

One year, few strings attached. Pat Gillick is a pretty good GM so far. Ed Wade still curses us with Pat Burrell and what we're paying Jim Thome on CHW, but Gillick is working around some of the problems and making a ball club out of this team.

Just fire Charlie Manuel and we should be set.

The Angels just acquired Manny for Chone Figgins! AND, the halos just got Soriano from the Cubs for Brendan Donnelly! :ohmy: :eek:

Dude, we are gonna FUKIN KICK ASS next season! :hyper:

pub crawler said:
The Angels just acquired Manny for Chone Figgins! AND, the halos just got Soriano from the Cubs for Brendan Donnelly! :ohmy: :eek:

Dude, we are gonna FUKIN KICK ASS next season! :hyper:
Its a nice world you live in.
But hey, you got Matthews Jr. to protect Vlad now, so your offense should...still suck. :wink:

you're being very generous... i see the heckling starting after his fist at bat of spring training

If Manny had left, I would be very worried. But if Drew is in the #5 spot, I could see him do halfway decent. He can't be any worse than Trot Nixon was last year.

That's if he can stay healthy, of course.

yougotser_06_1024.jpg

That Rally Monkey would have been cooked up in Chinatown faster than JD Drew reaching the DL.

Mmmmm... Sczechuan monkey with peanuts...:drool:

I heard on ESPN this morning that Johan Santana and Gil Meche will make the same amount of money next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom