Welcome to the annual MLB Hot Stove thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cards give Carp an extension, 5 years 65 million. 5 years is a long time, but Carp should be worth it

he's worth it and its necessary to lock him up and reward him for the past two seasons. plus at the current rate - compared to what zito will land i believe texas offered 6 years 100+ million- it is a bargain. the 5 years is a bit worrysome ,but at least he's not going anywhere.

the only thing that confuses me is we had him under control for 2 more years, why not just wait until next offseason to make sure he is still ok?

but, i do love me some Carp

the money being tossed around this year is utterly ridiculous. owners are just stupid. they complain and complain about how they can't compete and how they're losing money... so selig actually does a good job, gets a good deal for the owners with tv and revenue sharing, etc. attendance goes up, the owners have a few bucks again, and they start throwing it around like little kids in a candy store... except for, amazingly enough, the mets and yankees, who've been quite frugal this off-season (for now).

gary matthews jr. makes one good catch and he gets 10 mill a year... vincente padilla just got an outrageous deal from texas, and the cubs, after giving a ton of money to aramis ramirez and soriano, may actually try to get zito, too.

in 3 years when everyone's complaining about how no one can compete with the yankees/mets/red sox again, just remember the asinine contracts signed this off-season.

Let's see Zito's character....Does he go to Texas for a bazillion dollars and end up 15-12 w/ an ERA hovering around 5.00 and finish in 3rd place

OR

Does he come to a winning situation (The Mets), reunite w/ his old pitching coach, for a little less than a bazillion dollars, have an ERA around 3.50, and have a decent shot of going deep into the playoffs/world series

Boras is the antichrist.

exactly.

The other thing is, the players union HATES it when players sign deals for lower money than they were offered elsewhere. So I'm sure Zito is feeling pressure there as well.

Hewson said:
Report out of Philly has Drew set to sin with Red Sox for 4yrs, $48 Million...so only an extra 1 mil per season, but an added year if its accurate.

well now that he is getting 70 million for 5 years, you cant blame him for opting out of 3 for 33

i cant imagine red sox fans are happy with this move

As I understood it, the Red Sox hold a club option for the fifth year, something that most likely won't happen unless he exceeds expectations, so I see it as a 4 yr., 56 million deal.

Which is still ridiculous, anyway.

MrPryck2U said:
If Zito goes to Texas, he doesn't give a shit about winning.

Or he wants to foster a winning tradition.

At least that's what I'm telling myself.

Any deal involving JD Drew is a disaster.

Does Vegas have odds of him getting booed at the home opener posted yet?

Not a happy camper here.

The Yanks have offered Andy Pettite 15mil for 1 year. Andy's good but he gets injured every year and the Yanks let him go originally because of that. When he's healthy though, he's a number 2 starter.

i remember how everybody thought the cardinals had made the worst move out of the ss swap between anaheim, st louis and boston that year.

wrong :drool:

and giving carp the extension now as opposed to later gives carpenter his dues now and enables them to go after a pitcher like schmidt who they have interest in. you want to take care of your own best players before signing somebody else not as good to a better deal than they have.

Chizip said:

well now that he is getting 70 million for 5 years, you cant blame him for opting out of 3 for 33

i cant imagine red sox fans are happy with this move
If he's the #5 hitter behind David Ortiz and Money Ramirez, I'm OK with signing him, though obviously the money is ludicrous (but everyone is getting ludicrous money this offseason).

If he ends up the #4 hitter behind David Ortiz with Money Ramirez playing on the west coast...I'm very displeased with the signing.

zito's a boras client. if he takes less money to come to the mets, i'd be shocked... pleased, but shocked. boras clients always go for the money... that's why you sign boras as your agent. boras will have you sign with an independent minor league team if they offer the most money.

as for JD Drew... that's just nucking futs. 15 million per year for that bum makes carlos beltran's contract look like a steal.

"With David and Manny, if they want to walk those guys, we want them to pay a steep price," manager Terry Francona said.

well ya shouldn't have signed a friggin fragile panty waste like JD Drew then you fucking douchebags.

me thinks theo's been hittin' the gang backstage at pearl jam shows a little too hard after that 5 game sweep.

and of course, not like they ever really had a reason to complain in the first place with the money they spend... but if i ever hear another red sox owner, gm, player, intern, secretary and/or fan bitch about the ridiculous money that the yankees spend, i will personally smack them across the face.

.283, 20 homers, 100 RBIs last year for Drew.

if pujols or ryan howard were free agents this year, what would they get? 30 per? unbelievable... once again it seems as if every team except for the mets and yankees have lost their F'ing minds this offseason.

Last edited:
Headache in a Suitcase said:

as for JD Drew... that's just nucking futs. 15 million per year for that bum makes carlos beltran's contract look like a steal.

Whether you slice it at $70 mil over 5 years or $56 over 4 plus a 5th year option, its still only $14 million per year.

You need to get your abacas tuned up.:wink:

Headache in a Suitcase said:

no one ever said i could add... or spell... or read... :sad:

actually i hired pedro's midget to read for me.

I heard Pedro's midget passed away recently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom