Weirdest cover song ever

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cujo

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
What is the weirdest cover or collaboration you've ever heard... maybe it was Guns n' Roses covering "one", or Busta Rhymes covering "Iron man"...

What band had no right to perform a song, where they either ruined it or plain old destroyed it (just cause they needed to fill a set list,) all in a sad attempt to give it up to their idols...

Ok, I first just want to say that I actually REALLY like this cover. But I just think that Nickel Creek covering Spit on a Stranger by Pavement was a super weird cover.

I say again, it's a great cover, and actually most people (I'm probably included) will like their cover of it more than the original. Just a weird song/band cover combo.

I heard a cover of "Another Brick in the Wall" one time and it almost killed me. I blocked out who redid it.
Cher's Still Haven't Found really kills me too.

What about that Smooth Criminal by Alien Ant Farm, I never thought that any rock band would cover a Wacko Jacko song...

Alright this is forewarning; I am usually all for the freedom of threads and I don't even care if you reply to my post. But PLEASE do not go off on a tangent and talk about what a freak Michael Jackson is... we all know

cujo said:

Alright this is forewarning; I am usually all for the freedom of threads and I don't even care if you reply to my post. But PLEASE do not go off on a tangent and talk about what a freak Michael Jackson is... we all know

You're just scared because you know I'm tangent master.

cujo said:
oh you're a master something...:lol:

That I am. The master of kiester kicking, would you like me to prove it?

That sounded threatening.

Last edited:
Godhead's cover of Eleanor Rigby
*shudder*

...and U2's cover of Whole Lotta Love. I have nightmares about Bono trying to scream like Robert Plant.

u2popmofo said:

That I am. The master of kiester kicking, would you like me to prove it?

That sounded threatening.

No I was just giving you a rough time... no harm intended. I am well aware of your kiester kicking and have actually joined you in one (I won't mention the bands name... but they suck). Honestly I think that mofo could kick cujo's ass any day.

Oh ya, I was just wondering if you can get AFI's new stuff at a normal record store, or do I have to search a little harder...

I wave the white flag...

Hmmm...

Weirdest cover or collaboration:

Um...well, today while I was in my AP Lit class, I could hear music from the next room-it was a cover of the Beatles' "I Want To Hold Your Hand"-don't know who was doing it, but it was in a different language...and that was kinda odd to hear.

Also kind of interesting hearing Axl Rose and Tom Petty do "Free Fallin'" together.

Worst cover of a song:

Haven't heard Cher's version of ISHFWILF...so I can't say anything about that.

Celine Dion doing AC/DC's "You Shook Me All Night Long" was pretty unsettling, and then there's Britney Spears' cover of the Rolling Stones' "Satisfaction"...yeah...

But I'd have to say possibly one of the worst, if not the worst, covers of a song I've ever heard was *N Sync's version of Boston's "More Than A Feeling".

They didn't even try and keep it upbeat. They made it into a damn a cappella version! :no:!

That is seriously just...wrong...on so many levels...

And to make matters worse, my sister likes that version of the song (so now every time I hear Boston's original version I always say to her, "See, this is how the song is supposed to sound").

Angela

The worst culprit with covers is Puff Daddy (or P. diddly squat who gives a rats ass)... He has single-handedly ruined some of the best seventies and eighties classics with sampling. How did he get Jimmy Page to collaborate with him? Notorius BIG would have even slapped him for that... give it up for BIGGY!

Moonlit_Angel said:
Um...well, today while I was in my AP Lit class, I could hear music from the next room-it was a cover of the Beatles' "I Want To Hold Your Hand"-don't know who was doing it, but it was in a different language...and that was kinda odd to hear.
Are you sure it wasn't the German version that the Beatles recorded?

I would have gone with that Brittney cover of Can't Get No Satisfaction (it quite literally brought tears to my eyes, the kind you get when your dog get mashed to paste by a sixteeen wheeler), excpet I've heard the Cher cover of I Still Haven't found What I'm Looking For. That was like being repeatedly eviscerated with each note. Both are so bad I've actually blocked them out, just like that Rob Zombie version of Blitzkreig Bop.

the weirdest u2 cover is i still haven't found what i'm looking for by some weird german sounding dudes named badesalz

yeah the britney spears ones were bad..her versions of satisfaction and i love rock and roll? :yuck: although I don't exactly do satisfaction justice playing it on my clarinet in pep band. ew it sucks. We should stick to louie louie. :yes:

Last edited:
Ya, I've kind of beaten the hell out of Day Tripper on my acoustic... maybe I'm responsible for the worst cover ever (either that or the time I played Van Morrison's Gloria)

Moonlit_Angel said:
Hmm, might have been. I dunno.

Didn't even know the Beatles did a German version of the song.
These days, you can find it on the first volume of Past Masters, along with a German version of "She Loves You."

It's, uh, surreal.

cujo said:

Oh ya, I was just wondering if you can get AFI's new stuff at a normal record store, or do I have to search a little harder...

The album comes out on March 11 !!! I have downloaded it (I shouldnt tell you how, it was very sneaky and underhanded). You can probably find some or most of the songs online now though.

U2's cover of 'Happiness is a Warm Gun' manages to make a weird song even weirder.

Does anyone own a copy of the "We Will Follow" U2 tribute album? Half that record could easily make this list.

Dolly Parton singing "Stairway to Heaven" :crack:

What is even weirder is IT'S NOT HALF BAD! It was on NPR several months ago, it's on her latest album. They asked Jimmy Page and Robert Plant's permission to use the song. At the end of the Dolly Parton version they put a chorus singing. . .Page and Plant said actually they had imagined a chorus there too, but just never put one in :shocked: They thought it was good.

Sarah Brightman's cover of Queen's "Who Wants To Live Forever" :eyebrow:

She did a whole album of popular covers and they were all bad, but that one sticks in my brain the most. They used to play it all the time when I was working at Barnes and Noble... :huh:

PopFly mentioned the tribute album...I think Moby's cover of "Sunday Bloody Sunday" was the weirdest...

Back
Top Bottom