weird poll...your input requested...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Guy or Girl?

• Guy

Votes: 5 10.2%
  • Girl

Votes: 38 77.6%
  • Honestly can't decide

Votes: 3 6.1%
  • Honestly know too much about you to objectively answer this poll

Votes: 3 6.1%

• Total voters

Liesje

Blue Crack Addict
OK, this is kind of odd, but pretend you don't know me or anything about me (most of you don't so that's perfect). Also pretend you don't even post here so you've never seen my username or avatar, etc. ALL you know about me is my name, Lies Rosema (and if you DO know how to pronounce it, pretend you don't).

Would you think I was a guy or a girl?

Gee, I'm Dutch and I have to pretend not to know the name Lies? :scratch:

BTW, is it just Lies or is it shortened for Liesbeth (or Elisabeth)? :)

Honestly, being another longtime PLEBA resident I know you too well to even pretend I don't :huh:

Popmartijn said:
Gee, I'm Dutch and I have to pretend not to know the name Lies? :scratch:

BTW, is it just Lies or is it shortened for Liesbeth (or Elisabeth)? :)

Marty, the fourth option is for you and the other Dutch ones who will obviously know what gender I am. :D

It's actually not short for anything, though my nicknames include Liesl and Liesje.

Now that I have time, I'll explain the reason behind this poll. As you can see, I have a weird name. Right now I'm working on my resume. In my PR class, we have this assignment where we find a PR professional from the community and interview them, then show them our resume for critique. It occured to me as I was typing my resume that I have been and might often be mistaken for a man. This is because I work in computers, web development, information technology, etc. where right away it's assumed that most people are men. Then add to that the fact that for a lot of people, my name is new and doesn't give a good indication of gender.

I'm trying to decide whether to start including my middle name (Alaine). That's why I'm interested to know how many people would correctly guess I was a girl only knowing my name. I won't be offended if you say "guy"!

We're dealing with this same situation with my husband's worker's comp insurance company. His new person is named Pat, very gender neutral. If he/she/it had put (Ms.) or (Mr.) after her/his/its name, we'd be a lot happier right now. Her/his/its voice mail offers no clue, either. :huh:

Female, for sure. It was never a doubt in my mind - but I guess if you had turned out to be male, I would have looked quite the fool.

I've actually run into this problem with Sikh names. They don't have any gender-specific names at all and you have absolutely no way at all of telling.

As for yours, I would guess girl.

martha said:
We're dealing with this same situation with my husband's worker's comp insurance company. His new person is named Pat, very gender neutral. If he/she/it had put (Ms.) or (Mr.) after her/his/its name, we'd be a lot happier right now. Her/his/its voice mail offers no clue, either. :huh:

That totally reminds me of that SNL character Julia Sweeney played....called Pat--the one where nobody could figure out if she was a she or a he!

:lmao:

At my job where I teach kids, a little 4 year old kid came in with the name Yoel. The family was from Israel I believe and one of their customs was not to cut their child's hair until a certain age. This kid was the cutest girl in the world. Long blonde hair, deep brown eyes and just a bundle of energy.

Problem was, she was a he...

Mom explained this to me after I said, "She did great!" Whoops.

And Lies, I love your name. :) My little dutch girl. :sexywink:

sounds like a girl's name to me.

my biggest problem at work is when people hand me their ID cards, and i have to write their names down, when they give me a non-US driver's license or a school ID where it's not clear which name is their last name...

Should I start including my middle name on my resume just to be sure? Or does that imply I my prefered name (what people actually call me) includes my middle name? :huh:

With your middle name I think it's beautiful......I say display your name proudly, it was a gift your parents gave you when you were born, it is who you are, it is your own personal identity.....if someone mistakes your gender or identity, proudly but politely correct them. Hold your head high and walk tall!

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
I'm trying to decide whether to start including my middle name (Alaine). That's why I'm interested to know how many people would correctly guess I was a girl only knowing my name. I won't be offended if you say "guy"!

I think I would get confused if you'd include your middle name. I've never saw that name and would think it's the same as Alain, which is a boys name. :huh:

Popmartijn said:

I think I would get confused if you'd include your middle name. I've never saw that name and would think it's the same as Alain, which is a boys name. :huh:

:lol: Marty, you don't count b/c you're Dutch. :D Yes, I have a Dutch first name, Dutch last name, but I have NO clue where my mom got my middle name from!

Back
Top Bottom