weird family traditions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So I know we all have them...what are yours? You know, those things that when you're young, you think everyone's families do, and then you get older only to discover that your family is strange?

Sunday nights we always had popcorn for dinner.

We had a box in the hallway downstairs where you threw things that had to go upstairs. It was labeled "The Upstairs Box."

I'm one of 5 kids, so when we were all growing up, my mom would go outside and ring a cowbell when dinner was ready. In fact, she did it when we were all inside, too.

On Christmas Eve, we all get a book. This started when we were all young, as a way to keep us in bed a little later on Christmas morning.

All of ours revolve around the holidays...

My dad and I ALWAYS go get the tree at "Big Wave Dave's" (Hey- we live in Southern California) and then watch National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation. My mom and sister hate that movie but we just think it's the funniest thing ever!

At all family Holidays (extended fam) we play Spoons. It's a card game, but with my family, it's a full contact sport.

I dont really have a family.

I myself am a weird tradition.
rolleyes.gif

Sigh.

------------------
Look...look what you've done to me...You've made me poor and infamous, and I thank you...

My name is MISS MACPHISTO...I'm tired and i want to go HOME...

"Well you tell...Bonovista,that i said hello and that my codename is Belleview" - Bono before opening night of Anaheim Elevation concert

funny how most people have mentioned xmas...

my family are nuts.
every year we have a xmas competition. there are various categories and the big winner wins a trophy.<--yes we actually have one.

Best Xmas Tree - most beautiful and twinkly
Best Griswald House -most lights
Xmas Spirit- family that arent scrooges

and this continues on. we actually give away the prizes on Xmas Day.

Yes I know we are very sad and very scary

Well, generally, every sunday night we go to my grandparents house for dinner.

At christmas, we usually go to my dad's parent's house b/c my aunt and I share a birthday (dec 18) and my grandpas is dec 25th, so we kinda have a bigass b-day/christmas deal.

New years we usually go to my mom's parent's place, and my moms bros b-day is dec 31st, and her sisters is Jan 3rd. So ewe have a new years/b-day party.

Beyond that, with my moms side of the family, get togethers are all about the euchre. LOL we play hardcore euchre like theres no tomorrow.

With my dads side, its all bout the golfin. We play quite a fair bit of golf from when the snow melts until when the snow comes back.

Im sure theres other stuff too, but I havent really given it much thought... I might post again later
smile.gif

Originally posted by Gina Marie:
{{{Miss MacPhisto}}}

Hey-my family puts the 'dys' in 'dysfunctional'-so don't say that about yourself
smile.gif

LMAO!!! Ok, thanks!
biggrin.gif

------------------
Look...look what you've done to me...You've made me poor and infamous, and I thank you...

My name is MISS MACPHISTO...I'm tired and i want to go HOME...

"Well you tell...Bonovista,that i said hello and that my codename is Belleview" - Bono before opening night of Anaheim Elevation concert

I'm the least sarcastic one at home

well, maybe it's not a tradition
but it is weird

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

Every family meeting, we would exchange money and stuff, cos we're all always asking each other to buy stuff from wherever.

Every family reunion is the dogs' reunion, too.

Whenever we have guests over, we wipe the bathroom floor dry.

We hide the waste paper basket.

4a

Lol O my family....we are SO strange.

1.) A few days before Xmas the women of the family (my mom's side) go to my Grandma's house (she lives across the street, lol) and we make tamales. Heheh PLEBA girls may laugh at that. We have an assembly line!

Grandma: Puts chicken in the masa

Mom: Fills it up with everything else (egg, sausage, olive, sometimes other stuff)

Aunt: Closes it up

Other Aunt: Wraps it in paper

Me: Ties it up

I HATE my job. I want a better job in the tamale assembly line! *pout*

2.) Not really traditions, but we say weird things all the time. My brother and I pronounce "giraffe" like "gy-raff-ee" and we quote Homer Simpson and "wayne's world" way too often.

3.)On Xmas Eve my brother and I get to open one present each, then save the rest for Xmas morning. This was so exciting when we were 8 and 7. Now we're 18 and 17. It's losing its magic.

Also we decorate the Xmas tree and listen to Xmas songs. The best ornaments: The penguin with the popsicles, the fuzzy baby seal, the chipmunk on the cookie, and the puppy with the red ribbon. Lol we FIGHT over those EVERY year.
smile.gif

4.)How come I still have to sit at the kid's table at big family dinners!? Rackem frackem.

------------------
~*Mona*~
a little girl With Spanish eyes
97% compatible with Bono

Love me, Give me Soul

Magic Magic Magic Joe Houdini

Gah my dad use to blow a whistle when it was time for us to come in for dinner. lol.

And if we didnt come immediatly.. watch out!

------------------
Holy Dunc Spacejunk Coming In For The Splash

Sicy's Website

during the week before christmas we usually make Gingerbread houses. You make it by creating a paste out of frosting and pasting graham crackers together to form a house structure. You then buy lots of candies and paste them on however you desire... and then you eat up!
biggrin.gif

We used to do this more religiously (no pun intended) but we as a family would have a thing called "devotion". You basically just gather and take turns reading a different bible scripture a night. It also comes accompanied with a devotion book which contains different stories of reflection.

My dad used to wake me up every morning by singing "good morning jennifer it's time to get up and play, good morning jennifer it's going to be a happy day" -- for my sis: "good morning heather..." yada yada you get the idea. (that was a long time ago, I now have an alarm clock... and no it doesn't sing)

My dad used to carry me on his back and then toss me into the bed for bed time. It came along with a jingle of its own... bedtime fun at its best.

A tradition we still follow: Every Monday is pizza night. It used to come along with a movie rental but that slowly phased out, and it's just down to pizza now.

Odd family moments, indeed!

on xmas day we have to go round my Auntie and Uncles no one ever wants to go my Auntie always moan and my Uncle is a rude alcoholic
we always come away stressed.ON Boxing day we all go greyhound racing and then my mum does a buffet!!!!

Lol... every year at Christmas, and it never fails, my mother and her sisters have a yodeling contest - and it's usually me that's forced to the piano to accompany them!
biggrin.gif

------------------
How do you keep a moron busy for an hour? Two words... Extreme Paddleball

"wow...look at those two birds... they look just like airplanes, the way they're flying..."

" because they are airplanes..."

Originally posted by Peaseblossom:
All of ours revolve around the holidays...

My dad and I ALWAYS go get the tree at "Big Wave Dave's" (Hey- we live in Southern California) and then watch National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation. My mom and sister hate that movie but we just think it's the funniest thing ever!

At all family Holidays (extended fam) we play Spoons. It's a card game, but with my family, it's a full contact sport.

Oh, I love Spoons. Can I come to your house for Christmas? I think Adam Clayton might want to come too.

We have weird present traditions.

In all my life I have never bought myself boring plain every day undies. My nan buys them for xmas every year for me without fail. And also a years supply of moisturiser. Before we unwrap them my sis and I yell out "Thanx for the undies nan!" cos we know what at least one of the presents will be. Same with me and my sis. every year as well as the surprise present I buy her a Mambo calendar, she gets me a case of pepsi max.

Im not gonna say more cos every one thinks Im weird enough as it is.
biggrin.gif

Dad's Christmas cookies are a huge family tradition...everybody in my family (aunts, uncles, etc.) loves them. Back when we used to do more cookie exchanges and stuff, Dad would make over 100 dozen. He is a total cookie perfectionist though...especially about how he frosts them. He gets kinda neurotic when he works on them...

Dad: *sittin' at kitchen table, meticulously frosting a Christmas tree cookie so it looks like it has branches*

Bonochick: *walks into the kitchen, several feet away from Dad*

Dad: *looks up in surprise* Kate!!!! WhatAreYouDoingInHere????????

Bonochick: *surprised* I, um, just wanted a drink...

Dad: Pull your hair back if you're going to walk by my cookies!!!! Do you want your blond hair sticking all over the frosting???

Bonochick: Um, no! I just...

Dad: Go put your hair in a ponytail! We're giving these cookies to other people too, ya know! We can't have your hair flying all over!!

Don't mess with Dad's cookies...
biggrin.gif

------------------
"I don't know you,
But you don't know the half of it..."

i almost forgot: on christmas eve, we each get a huge christmas cookie. the cookie is supposed to be a snack for the morning, while you're waiting for everyone else to wake up. it was great when we were all young, but now with everyone older and coming and going, my mom's never sure who'll be around so she inevitably finds a few petrified cookies in her closet around easter time.

For about 8 years my brother and I have been imitating a British actor named Nigel Bruce. He played Watson to Basil Rathbone's Sherlock Holmes in the 30's and 40's. "Nigel" is now practically the invisible member of the family. Less so since my brother moved out, but everyone knows what you mean when you mention Nigel. Just put on a certain British accent and say things like "Buh! Britishness is most superior!", and Nigel is in the house.

------------------
You've got to cry without weeping
Talk without speaking
Scream without raising your voice

Back
Top Bottom