Weird bursty headache things

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

meegannie

Blue Crack Addict
I keep getting these weird, dull headaches, usually at the back of my head or all over one side. They last for a few days, sometimes weeks, and then one day it feels like something bursts at the back of my head and then this warm feeling spreads through my head and I black out for a second (not like pass our or anything. There's just this flash of light and then blackness for a second) and then the headaches are gone for a while. This usually happens about once a year or so. The nurse at work told me I should get a CAT scan (sp?) done. My doctor said it's probably because of stress, but I don't know anyone who has these and they're really, really scary. :sad: :sad: :sad:

Last edited:
I've never had them last that long...but I usually just pass out from them. I've already been out from anywhere between 5 and 20 minutes. The doctors I've seen say it's probably stress. Like I said though...the headaches have never lasted that long.

:hug:

Yes most likely stress, or maybe your blood pressure.

:hug:

*edit to say or you might need an adjustment at the chiropractor.

Last edited:
Nope, no birth control, and my blood pressure's normal. :slant:

It's good to know other people get this and are still alive. :up:

i used to get migraines almost every day. literally. it got to the point where i got fired from my last job because i called in sick like six times in two weeks. it was a combination of stress and also some medication i was on (i guess you could call it that).

soooo, there's this drug called topamax. it originally started out as a diet pill, and then they saw it prevented headaches too. which is a real bonus, cuz the medicine i was on (imitrex) made me gain weight and raised my blood sugar (i'm low, so all it probably did was normalize me lol).

anyway, i've never had headaches like that, but as long as they're just that (meaning it's not something more serious) i'd recommend asking your doctor about that. it's a little pill, like the size of a sinus pill or a birth control pill.

good luck. :)

I hope you feel better soon or get a good diagnosis and find relief

I get migraines from time to time. I suppose they manifest in different ways. Mine start with silver shimmers of light at the periphery of my vision and black holes appear and then nausea and then the sharpest pain in such a localised area...UGH!!!
Yours sypmtoms sound quite different. Keep asking the Dr. for help, don't ignore it and hope that it goes away( like I usually do).

It seems stress is a common factor everyone here so far has mentioned. Mongrel thing it is.It is a shame all the natural therapies( remedial massage, acupuncture etc. are so expensive.My hub has...(hmm big long name required here) retinosablahblah..blah, that recurs and is caused by stress and has no treatment and can lead to blindness....that one worries me.He's just an uptight kind of person most of the time.I do everything I can think of for him. How do you relieve stress, for goodness sake?
Good luck meegannie.
Save the penguins:yes: :wave:

"Maybe its a tuma" ----> insert Arnold Swarzanager (sp) voice.

jk. You really should check it out.

I just can't afford it. I'd have to go to a regular doctor, get referred to a neurologist, and pay for whatever tests they run.

:(

I Can't Afford To See Doctors Anymore Either...

I had a CAT scan after I fainted once because I had smucked my head on a desk when I did so. Amazingly, they found nothin' wrong with my head...

But you all know differently, don't you?????????

I'm gonna go feed my imaginary donkey now!

*singin'*

"Little donkey, lovely donkey..."

:wave:

I used to have a ton of headaches and then I found out it was because I was grinding my teeth/clenching my jaw. It is called TMJ and it has since stopped, and so have my headaches.

It is all stress related....

ouizy said:
I used to have a ton of headaches and then I found out it was because I was grinding my teeth/clenching my jaw. It is called TMJ and it has since stopped, and so have my headaches.

My mom has TMJ...it makes her absolutely miserable at times!

ouizy said:

Yeah I have TMJ too. :|

Nothing they can really do about it.

My jaw sits crooked. :grumpy:

I am definately suffering from TMJ this fall. It causes great pain in my ears. :crack:

Reading threads like this makes me just sick at the state of America's health care system... or lack there of.
Here in Canada, if you need a CAT scan, you get one done. End of story. No added cost.

The average cost of a CAT scan can be around $1,000 but if you don't have insurance you may be eligible for some other kind of financial assistance, such as an Indigent Fund. Also, most medical facilities (here, at least) will work with you to set up a payment plan. I think you should really get this checked out further, especially since they're so scary to you. :(

meegannie said:
I clench my jaw/grind my teeth as well.

I think I'll wait until I'm in Englang to get a CAT scan.

You probly have tmj or migraines or something.

TMJ is kool

(to rip off anothjer thread here...)

it actually sucks, I dont grind really, I clench

I am a huge ball of stress...

I've had TMJ forever, too. It doesn't bother me too much anymore in terms of discomfort (it peaked in 12th grade when my jaw locked and I couldn't open it wide enough to eat a hamburger for a year) but the main reason you need to address it NOW is because over time if your bite remains off it can cause serious gum recession. My dentist used the analogy of pounding a stake into the ground at the wrong angle. This is what chewing with your bite off is like. It's horribly damaging to your teeth (yes, I speak from experience :scream:).

They told me they couldnt really do anything about it unless I wanted surgery to put the jaw back into place.

:yuck:

Sicy said:
They told me they couldnt really do anything about it unless I wanted surgery to put the jaw back into place.

:yuck:

Get a second and third opinion. You can get a mouthguard specially made for you (although get second opinions on the cost). I recommend seeing a holistic dentist--they take TMJ more seriously than the traditional ones and can recommend other kinds of therapists to work with as well (who can do various kinds of manipulation, jaw massage, recommend supplements, etc). You should have no problem finding a good holistic dentist where you live. I am so big on this because I am facing thousands of dollars of dental work as a result of my neglect. Lemme tell you, when you hear the phrase "age-inappropriate gum recession" you just want to crawl off into a dark corner somewhere and make it go away.

Well it doesnt bother me all that often.

I just cant chew gum for a long time or um do something else for a long time :censored: :eek:

scandalizing myself ova 'ere

Sicy said:
I just cant ... do something else for a long time :censored: :eek:

scandalizing myself ova 'ere

:shocked:

That's reason enough to get your dancin' fanny to the dentist, dontcha think???! :laugh:

Back
Top Bottom