Weird "Animal People" Freaks - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-22-2003, 06:04 PM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 02:44 PM
A phenotype is actually the physiological expression of genetic material... sometimes a result of additive or pleiotropic effects, other times a single gene-protein process.

The use of this term for an obviously psychological phenomenon is not valid. An embedded mental projection that does not correlate with physical manifestation is clearly not a phenotypic description. I'm not here to marginalize the group of Therians or Furries... but the slang use of scientific modifiers is not appropriate.

/end pompous rant.

Old 08-22-2003, 06:07 PM   #17
Blue Meth Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by cujo
A phenotype is actually the physiological expression of genetic material... sometimes a result of additive or pleiotropic effects, other times a single gene-protein process.

The use of this term for an obviously psychological phenomenon is not valid. An embedded mental projection that does not correlate with physical manifestation is clearly not a phenotypic description. I'm not here to marginalize the group of Therians or Furries... but the slang use of scientific modifiers is not appropriate.

/end pompous rant.
Yeah, and monkeys might fly out my butt.

Old 08-22-2003, 07:02 PM   #18
Refugee

Local Time: 03:44 PM
well thats the term they always use to describe their animal. I guess animal spirit would work but it can be misleading and such.
but cujo, could you please enlighten me with an example of these phenotype you seem to know so much about. In your wisdom I am humbled.
Old 08-22-2003, 08:04 PM   #19
Blue Meth Addict

Actually, Cujo is totally correct on this one. A phenotype is just the outward appearance/characteristics of an organism's genes, etc.

Take an apple for example. They can be different colors, different sizes, have different sized seeds, etc., but they're all still apples.

The different colors, sizes, shapes, etc are all different phenotypes of an apple.
Old 08-22-2003, 08:52 PM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 01:44 PM
wow. i actually understood this...
Old 08-22-2003, 09:30 PM   #21
Refugee

I never said cujo was wrong. I simply asked him to give me an example. I coldnt follow his post. Thanks for the apple thingy though. I'm not sure why Therians use the word phenotype to describe the animal spirit thingy. I'll ask my friend later tonight when he gets online.

And I apologise if I offended anyone with my rant. I just get uber pissed when people lump Furries and Therians together. Passion does rule reason though. *shrugs* I thikn I made my point well enough though. I would have rather had people not pick apart a misdefinition of a word in my post. But I dont get everything I wish for.
Old 08-22-2003, 09:36 PM   #22
Refugee

something from a site on Therianthropy.

"Therianthropy
There's a saying floating around the net that if you ask 10 therians what it is to be a therian you'll get 11 answers. Like vampirism the exact definition of what it takes to be a therian could be debated for years and still just come down to personal beleif. So what follows is simply my take on what it is.

A therian (or 'were') has a connection with an animal. This connection can come in many forms, some examples include:
* the beleif that their soul is that of the animal trapped in a human body
* the beleif that part of thier soul is animal
*the beleif they were of the animal in a past life (the idea of reincarnation)
* the beleif the spirit of the animal are part of them but seperate to their human souls (sort of like two sharing the same body)

A therian's inner animal is known as thier phenotype. While wolf is the most common phenotype around so far, it is not limited to this. Other common phenotypes include foxes, cyotes, panthers and tigers. A phenotype can be any animal. There are bears, birds, horses, deer, sharks... anything you can think of. Though admittedly I have yet to meet a were-dolphin! It is also possible for a were to have more than one phenotype. These are known as polyweres. Over the past couple of years there has been a huge increase in phenotypes other than wolves as well as an increase in those who's phenotype are more 'astral' creatures - such as dragons, elves, pheonixes, etc."

taken from
http://natureoracle.mysitespace.com/therianthropy.html
Old 08-22-2003, 11:48 PM   #23
Blue Crack Distributor

Normal

Quote:
Originally posted by bonosloveslave
Have they had the cat lady on there?

Great. There go my nice dream hopes for tonight.
Old 08-23-2003, 01:35 AM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by RavenStar
something from a site on Therianthropy.

"Therianthropy
There's a saying floating around the net that if you ask 10 therians what it is to be a therian you'll get 11 answers. Like vampirism the exact definition of what it takes to be a therian could be debated for years and still just come down to personal beleif. So what follows is simply my take on what it is.

A therian (or 'were') has a connection with an animal. This connection can come in many forms, some examples include:
* the beleif that their soul is that of the animal trapped in a human body
* the beleif that part of thier soul is animal
*the beleif they were of the animal in a past life (the idea of reincarnation)
* the beleif the spirit of the animal are part of them but seperate to their human souls (sort of like two sharing the same body)

A therian's inner animal is known as thier phenotype. While wolf is the most common phenotype around so far, it is not limited to this. Other common phenotypes include foxes, cyotes, panthers and tigers. A phenotype can be any animal. There are bears, birds, horses, deer, sharks... anything you can think of. Though admittedly I have yet to meet a were-dolphin! It is also possible for a were to have more than one phenotype. These are known as polyweres. Over the past couple of years there has been a huge increase in phenotypes other than wolves as well as an increase in those who's phenotype are more 'astral' creatures - such as dragons, elves, pheonixes, etc."

taken from
http://natureoracle.mysitespace.com/therianthropy.html
I wrote a poem about malapropism once.

Yay!

Old 08-23-2003, 11:14 AM   #25
Refugee

care to share it here? I was gonna ask me friend why they call it their phenotype but I didnt see him on yahoo. And my msn hasnt been working for over a week. Bah @ msn not working.
Old 08-23-2003, 08:38 PM   #26
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:44 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by cujo

I wrote a poem about malapropism once.