Weed, California Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My version of The Joshua Tree renamed Birdland.

Birdland

1. Beautiful Ghost
2. Where The Streets Have No Name
3. I Still Haven't Found
4. With Or Without You
5. Deep In The Heart
6. Bullet The Blue Sky
7. Running To Stand Still
8. Wave of Sorrow
9. Red Hill Mining Town
10. In God's Country
11. Spanish Eyes
12. One Tree Hill
13. Rise Up
14. Exit
15. Race Against Time
16. Luminous Times
17. Walk To The Water

I love "Rise Up" and "Desert", not the other two as much.

"Walk to the Water" is the only JT b-side that I don't like at all.

Rise Up is fucking fantastic. I'd rate it above Trip, and honestly I've become bored of ISHFWILF so I'd take it over that too. DOOL is a bit of fun, though not on Rise Up's level of song quality.

Yeah, I don't care for WTTW that much, though it's not bad. I like Sweetest Thing and Deep In The Heart less.

Oh, I'm liking this better:

1. Beautiful Ghost
2. Streets
3. In God's Country
4. Spanish Eyes
5. Rise Up
6. Desert of Our Love
7. I Still Haven't Found...
8. Red Hill Mining Town
9. Bullet
---
10. Silver and Gold
11. Deep in the Heart
12. With or Without You
13. Luminous Times
14. Running to Stand Still
15. Race Against Time
16. One Tree Hill
17. Exit
18. Mothers of the Disappeared

Ending Side 1 with Bullet gives it a nice closing punch, while Side 2 now is decidedly moodier and packs some great atmosphere. Luminous Times -> Running... has an inspired transition actually.

My version of The Joshua Tree renamed Birdland.

Birdland

1. Beautiful Ghost
2. Where The Streets Have No Name
3. I Still Haven't Found
4. With Or Without You
5. Deep In The Heart
6. Bullet The Blue Sky
7. Running To Stand Still
8. Wave of Sorrow
9. Red Hill Mining Town
10. In God's Country
11. Spanish Eyes
12. One Tree Hill
13. Rise Up
14. Exit
15. Race Against Time
16. Luminous Times
17. Walk To The Water

That's a good tlist, Screwtape. Wttw I can give or take but nother than that.. I;d buy it.

Rise Up is fucking fantastic. I'd rate it above Trip, and honestly I've become bored of ISHFWILF so I'd take it over that too. DOOL is a bit of fun, though not on Rise Up's level of song quality.

Yeah, I don't care for WTTW that much, though it's not bad. I like Sweetest Thing and Deep In The Heart less.

I definitely agree about Rise Up and Desert. I Still Haven't Found... is one of my favorite songs and one of the ones that got me into the band, so it's got that going for it, which is nice.

Deep in the Heart at least goes somewhere I think, Walk just meanders and feels pretty blah. It's So Cruel without the drums. Sweetest Thing is alright and fits well with a few tracks, but I prefer the Single cut.

1. Beautiful Ghost
2. Streets
3. In God's Country
4. Spanish Eyes
5. Rise Up
6. Desert of Our Love
8. Red Hill Mining Town
9. Bullet
---
10. Silver and Gold
11. Deep in the Heart
12. With or Without You
13. Luminous Times
15. Race Against Time
16. One Tree Hill
17. Exit

Ending Side 1 with Bullet gives it a nice closing punch, while Side 2 now is decidedly moodier and packs some great atmosphere. Luminous Times -> Running... has an inspired transition actually.

I like this more as well, though RHMT --> Bullet seems like a bit of an unusual transition. I also think ending a side with Bullet is strange, but your rationale of ending with a punch is sound, and I probably find it strange simply because I'm so accustomed to Bullet seguing into something rather than anything else.

OK, I'm listening to my alternate JT right now. Unfortunately, I'm using non-remastered tracks since I only loaded the remaster onto the other computer and I can't be fucked swapping since I really don't think the remaster did that much for the album.

Tracklist, for those who care:
1. Where The Streets Have No Name
2. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
3. With Or Without You
4. Luminous Times
5. Spanish Eyes
6. In God's Country
7. Bullet The Blue Sky
8. Running To Stand Still
9. Red Hill Mining Town
10. One Tree Hill
11. Exit
12. Mothers Of The Disappeared

I've got to try this.

For those who missed it earlier, here's my alternate Zooropa:

1. Zooropa
2. Daddy's Gonna Pay For Your Crashed Car
3. United Colours
4. Always Forever Now
5. Some Days Are Better Than Others
6. A Different Kind Of Blue
7. Beach Sequence
8. Miss Sarajevo
9. Dirty Day
10. Lemon
11. Stay (Faraway, So Close!)
12. Your Blue Room
13. The First Time

I like this more as well, though RHMT --> Bullet seems like a bit of an unusual transition. I also think ending a side with Bullet is strange, but your rationale of ending with a punch is sound, and I probably find it strange simply because I'm so accustomed to Bullet seguing into something rather than anything else.

Yeah, I can see that, too. If you listen to it as a straight playlist, the Bullet -> Silver and Gold transition stays. I think the juxtaposition of the optimism of Red Hill and the balls-to-the-wall craziness of Bullet works, too. It indicates the change you'll hear in the darker second half compared to the lighter first.

El-Mel, I dig your alternate Zooropa. I'm going to do ATYCLB now.

I definitely agree about Rise Up and Desert. I Still Haven't Found... is one of my favorite songs and one of the ones that got me into the band, so it's got that going for it, which is nice.

Deep in the Heart at least goes somewhere I think, Walk just meanders and feels pretty blah. It's So Cruel without the drums. Sweetest Thing is alright and fits well with a few tracks, but I prefer the Single cut.

I'm just burnt out on ISHFWILF, that's all. Not really a comment on its quality, except maybe its staying power. I keep it on alternate JT listings and stuff, but often for my own personal enjoyment, I cut the track.

:lol: I think the reverse about WTTW and DITH. DITH has the atmosphere but doesn't use it. WTTW tries to use it to tell a story. Not entirely successfully, but the effort's there.

I personally love the Bullet--->Running segue, just as I love the Mofo--->Angels segue. The contrast in both is really cool.

I'm just burnt out on ISHFWILF, that's all. Not really a comment on its quality, except maybe its staying power. I keep it on alternate JT listings and stuff, but often for my own personal enjoyment, I cut the track.

:lol: I think the reverse about WTTW and DITH. DITH has the atmosphere but doesn't use it. WTTW tries to use it to tell a story. Not entirely successfully, but the effort's there.

Walk sounds like a Patti Smith outtake to me. Not awesome "Dancing Barefoot"/"Rock 'N Roll ******" Patti Smith, but long-winded boring Patti Smith. It's almost like the difference from poppy Todd Rundgren to proggy-up-his-asshole Rundgren.

Hey there, Jen! :wave:

I wondr if they will idg any Pop sogs up for the next toeur. That'd be noice. Pip got me through hight school.

I desperately hope Gone comes back. Mofo would be fuckin' sweet too.

Realistically, I could also see Please.

I desperately hope Gone comes back. Mofo would be fuckin' sweet too.

Realistically, I could also see Please.

Those are the three I'd most want to see as well, along with Last Night on Motherfucking Earth... that brings shit down to the ground.

I personally love the Bullet--->Running segue, just as I love the Mofo--->Angels segue. The contrast in both is really cool.

Sorry LM, but I never thought I'd ever see anybody compare Bullet --> RTSS to Mofo --> IGWSHA! I've never even thought a segue exists there, just a shocking transition.

Also, I do have a big reply coming for your EYKIW thread, but this place picking up has slowed down my work. I'm up to Passengers.

Chicago 20-9 I believe.

Great show.

Discotheque was only done twice, so Ian's suggestion of Chicago 2005-09-20 is on the money - and didn't you say you downloaded that?

Yep, got that yesterday, I think.

And I would have hung around last night and listened to that first Boy show in Boston (13/12/80, I think?), but a) I was tired, and b) I figured that three Boy shows in a row (and six lots of 11 O'Clock, as awesome as it is) might have been pushing it. :wink:

I think I might give LMP's JT double album listing a go now...

Yep, got that yesterday, I think.

And I would have hung around last night and listened to that first Boy show in Boston (13/12/80, I think?), but a) I was tired, and b) I figured that three Boy shows in a row (and six lots of 11 O'Clock, as awesome as it is) might have been pushing it. :wink:

I think I might give LMP's JT double album listing a go now...

The original post or the revised listing?

What aobvut Last Night oin Earhnt ? THat's one of my facs? Oer ave U2 got past their depressivjmne pahse? Surrely. there;s nothuing at tall that'ssdpessrong here no0w in tge is worl is there/`

For those who missed it earlier, here's my alternate Zooropa:

1. Zooropa
2. Daddy's Gonna Pay For Your Crashed Car
3. United Colours
4. Always Forever Now
5. Some Days Are Better Than Others
6. A Different Kind Of Blue
7. Beach Sequence
8. Miss Sarajevo
9. Dirty Day
10. Lemon
11. Stay (Faraway, So Close!)
12. Your Blue Room
13. The First Time

This gets points from me for being interesting, if nothing else! I'm intrigued, merging Zooropa and Passengers? I'm surprised: there's no Slug, but ADKOB makes it? I also very much have it in my mind that United Colours should be an opener.

1. Beautiful Ghost
2. Streets
3. In God's Country
4. Spanish Eyes
5. Rise Up
6. Desert of Our Love
8. Red Hill Mining Town
9. Bullet
---
10. Silver and Gold
11. Deep in the Heart
12. With or Without You
13. Luminous Times
15. Race Against Time
16. One Tree Hill
17. Exit

And then (s)he goes and changes it around on me... :lol:

Those are the three I'd most want to see as well, along with Last Night on Motherfucking Earth... that brings shit down to the ground.

Yes, I'd love some LNOE too. That would really rock the place out. I hope the band still remember the bloody song.

I just hope we never have to suffer acoustic SATS again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom