Weed, California Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I also see some
simpsonsmysterydatemu6.jpg
in it.

Indeed.

But neither of them look like they're wearing a homeless man's coat.

I am pretty sure your signature provides a better answer to this than I could.

:lol:

If you were genuinely interested, I could find plenty of metal with clean vocals. Prog and power metal solely do clean vocals (though they also tend to bring the cheese), and doom metal tends to be clean too. But yeah, you're pretty tough out of luck with regards to black and death metal. Which is a shame, because what I want to push onto people is Lykathea Aflame, and their growls are easily some of the most inaccessible I've ever heard.

When it comes to metal-inflected music, I'm mostly into heavier post-rock. Once the band starts playing 250 notes per second, my eyes glaze over.

I remember there was a thread on this one board I go to for "legitimately frightening music", and there was a song by this death metal band called Job For A Cowboy that was one of the funniest things I've ever heard.

I hate acronyms, for the most part. Took me 5 minutes last night to figure out what songs Axver meant when he said LCT and TSS and shit.

I still have no idea what TSS is.

"The Three Sunrises"

If I'm going to abbreviate, I'll take one word from the song title and use it, it makes a bit more sense and is easier to type (ex: "Tryin' to Throw..." = TTYAATW*)

*WTF???

I haven't used MS Paint since high school! :lol:
I used to just use icons other people made until I was able to make my own because I failed (and still do fail) to operate paint! :D And I prefer to use my own stuff because like you said, I made it and I am proud to say that, even if they aren't as good as others. The icon I'm using on here right now, I had an animated version of (with the text from my location) but interference said we couldn't use animated icons! That was quite the surprise to me because I used one before. (Animated snow.)
And thanks, I'll keep that in mind! The only one I really wonder about for the time being is Ultraviolet anyway, but a lot of the Zoo era stuff disappeared in later eras anyway so I figured that's why, plus it seemed like they had a problem playing it proper live. I'm just quite partial to that song since it's my favourite. And I really wish they'd play it again!

I think internet access is like this in all small areas in the bigger countries. Since a lot of older people live in areas like this, or poor people, there aren't very many people who have computers (in fact, I only know a handful), so there isn't a lot of demand for internet, therefore, most get by with just providing dial up. Then the higher speed stuff is always ridiculously over priced. Well, that's my best stab at it anyway. But like I say, I am glad to have at least this even though I would prefer higher speed because dial up is such the big pain that it is.

I like that picture of you. :) It looks like a light blonde to me. I love your hair! It DOES make you look like October era Adam, that is so cool!

I was just never too comfortable with using other icons, plus I usually make my icons in response to a perceived need for something, and hunting for somebody else's icon suitable for that purpose would probably take longer than simply doing it myself! And this icon probably sums up my attitudes well too:

As for Ultra Violet, it was played at almost every gig on the first to fourth legs of ZooTV (it missed a show here and there, but extremely rarely), then it was replaced by Lemon for the fifth and final leg, thus making its final performance on 28 August 1993. It hasn't reappeared since then, for which I am continuously thankful as my dislike for that song is somewhat legendary, though Bono did snippet it after Beautiful Day on 22 May 2005. The other Achtung songs that haven't reappeared since ZooTV are So Cruel and TTTYAATW (and then there's Acrobat, never played at all).

Ah, yeah, that'd make sense - it's the kind of areas that I suppose simply aren't a priority to the bigger companies, who are focused on profits for shareholders, and since they're a bit out of the way, the smaller companies who might otherwise make the effort simply aren't in the area. Well, I hope things improve and you can move away from dialup sometime soon!

And thanks. :) Next U2 tour, I'm very tempted to dress up as Adam for at least one show ...

"The Three Sunrises"

If I'm going to abbreviate, I'll take one word from the song title and use it, it makes a bit more sense and is easier to type (ex: "Tryin' to Throw..." = TTYAATW*)

*WTF???

TSS = a cross between The Three Sunrises and Indian Summer Sky

TSS = a cross between The Three Sunrises and Indian Summer Sky

That's what I kept reading it as last night.

Shit, "Boomerang II" would be perfect between "Indian Summer Sky" and "The Unforgettable Fire." "Love Comes Tumbling" would have to move somewhere else though, maybe toward the end?

Both Booms and Summer repeat the line "soul, wind, blow," did not realize that before.

When it comes to metal-inflected music, I'm mostly into heavier post-rock. Once the band starts playing 250 notes per second, my eyes glaze over.

I remember there was a thread on this one board I go to for "legitimately frightening music", and there was a song by this death metal band called Job For A Cowboy that was one of the funniest things I've ever heard.

Ah, right. Yeah, I'm not too into the barrage-of-notes sort of thing most of the time either. Depends on how it's done, really. A rare few bands pull it off well, then a lot are just trying to show off and it sounds like a dumb mess. What'd you think of the Jesu track I used in my last DI playlist? That was drone doom, and the various styles of doom are quite slow and drawn-out affairs; they're the kind of guys who'll play 2.5 notes a minute and think it's fast.

And Job For A Cowboy are a bad metalcore joke of a band, if I remember correctly.

On "Elvis Presley in America", the part where Bono does the "ohh, ohh, ohhhhh-ohh..." section, it always reminds me of Will Ferrell screaming in pain for whatever reason.

I hate acronyms, for the most part. Took me 5 minutes last night to figure out what songs Axver meant when he said LCT and TSS and shit.

See, I love acronyms.

To the point that I sometimes turn them into words. I'm pretty sure people like Ali and Daniel (maybe Bonnie?) can attest to me talking about "wowy", "aiwiy", "asoh", "cobble", and "lapoe".

UF without 4th of July, ISS, and MLK would be unbelievable. :drool: Replacing those with Boomerang II, Bass Trap, and Love Comes Tumbling would greatly improve the record, probably to the extent that it would be in my top 5.

I find them unnecessary when they don't work phonetically or confuse you rather than help.

The ones you listed are fine with me for that reason.

Ah, right. Yeah, I'm not too into the barrage-of-notes sort of thing most of the time either. Depends on how it's done, really. A rare few bands pull it off well, then a lot are just trying to show off and it sounds like a dumb mess. What'd you think of the Jesu track I used in my last DI playlist? That was drone doom, and the various styles of doom are quite slow and drawn-out affairs; they're the kind of guys who'll play 2.5 notes a minute and think it's fast.

And Job For A Cowboy are a bad metalcore joke of a band, if I remember correctly.

I actually like what little I've heard of Jesu, but I'm not sure if I could listen to an album's worth of material from them.

I also enjoy everything I've heard from Opeth that isn't vocal-related. They're supremely talented, but damn.

UF without 4th of July, ISS, and MLK would be unbelievable. :drool: Replacing those with Boomerang II, Bass Trap, and Love Comes Tumbling would greatly improve the record, probably to the extent that it would be in my top 5.

I truly don't get why so many people want to do away with ISS. I'm especially baffled when those are the same people who like Wire. They seem like two songs that go together well; different takes on the dark, rockin' kind of atmosphere.

Hell, some days I even think I prefer ISS over Wire. Then I play Wire and reach the killer outro and remember why I favour it. And I'd take ISS any day over LCT, which, although I like it, comes across as a tad over-rated around these parts. Agreed re: 4th Of July and MLK for Bass Trap and Boomerang II, though.

The Unforgettable Fire could have been U2's best album. I legitimately think the only album they didn't fuck up on was The Joshua Tree, and even that could have been better.

Would you guys wanna do a running diary of this version of Pop?:

1. Mofo
2. Discotheque
3. Do You Feel Loved
4. If God Will Send His Angels (Single)
5. Staring at the Sun
6. Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me
7. Gone
8. Last Night on Earth
9. The Playboy Mansion
10. If You Wear that Velvet Dress
11. North and South of the River
12. Please (Single)

Call me crazy, but I'm not a big fan of "Wake Up Dead Man."

I was just never too comfortable with using other icons, plus I usually make my icons in response to a perceived need for something, and hunting for somebody else's icon suitable for that purpose would probably take longer than simply doing it myself! And this icon probably sums up my attitudes well too:

As for Ultra Violet, it was played at almost every gig on the first to fourth legs of ZooTV (it missed a show here and there, but extremely rarely), then it was replaced by Lemon for the fifth and final leg, thus making its final performance on 28 August 1993. It hasn't reappeared since then, for which I am continuously thankful as my dislike for that song is somewhat legendary, though Bono did snippet it after Beautiful Day on 22 May 2005. The other Achtung songs that haven't reappeared since ZooTV are So Cruel and TTTYAATW (and then there's Acrobat, never played at all).

Ah, yeah, that'd make sense - it's the kind of areas that I suppose simply aren't a priority to the bigger companies, who are focused on profits for shareholders, and since they're a bit out of the way, the smaller companies who might otherwise make the effort simply aren't in the area. Well, I hope things improve and you can move away from dialup sometime soon!

And thanks. :) Next U2 tour, I'm very tempted to dress up as Adam for at least one show ...
It was always easier for me to just find whatever I wanted than try to make a piss attempt at it in Paint.
I love that icon. :lol: Mind if I save it?

Aha, I see. I love that song quite a lot (mostly for the lyrics as it's helped me through some rough times.) and I did enjoy seeing the live versions of it even though I like the studio version a whole lot better. The song itself is just special to me, basically. :)
Is it bad that took me a min to figure out what TTTYAATW meant? (Tryin' To Throw Your Arms Around The World.) I am so bad with stuff like that. :D

Thanks! I hope so too. I am considering going with that company that doesn't require phone or cable as in the long run (since a home phone isn't necessary what with all the cell phones around here...) that it would be a lot cheaper (even if it is pricey just for internet itself) because dial up is way too much of a pain for my liking. A lot of sites take along time to load (for example, the vitamin water site.) or when a lot of pics (or a video) are loading, IMs in any messenger, be it AIM, Yahoo or MSN send and receive rather delayed or not at all while something is loading (or downloading) and I can't use more than one web page loading at a time. High speed would be a lot better and easier for me, especially in icon posting since I tend to post upwards of 40 at one time.

That would be really cool! I'd love to see pictures from that.
I was Elevation Bono once for halloween but I dunno that I'd go to a concert all done up like that!

I actually like what little I've heard of Jesu, but I'm not sure if I could listen to an album's worth of material from them.

I also enjoy everything I've heard from Opeth that isn't vocal-related. They're supremely talented, but damn.

They've done EPs too. The Silver EP might be a good place to start, especially as it's stylistically varied. I've seen the track Star referred to as being almost drone pop.

Have you heard Opeth's song Bleak? That's the song that eased me into death vocals. Sure, the first few minutes are just chugging guitars and Akerfeldt growling, but then it transitions into beautiful clean harmonies between Akerfeldt and Steven Wilson. And, of course, there's the acoustic Damnation album which has no growls at all - nor any metal, besides perhaps an atmosphere inherent to all their albums.

I truly don't get why so many people want to do away with ISS. I'm especially baffled when those are the same people who like Wire. They seem like two songs that go together well; different takes on the dark, rockin' kind of atmosphere.

Hell, some days I even think I prefer ISS over Wire. Then I play Wire and reach the killer outro and remember why I favour it. And I'd take ISS any day over LCT, which, although I like it, comes across as a tad over-rated around these parts. Agreed re: 4th Of July and MLK for Bass Trap and Boomerang II, though.

To me, it simply goes NOWHERE. The "it's a blue sky" bits (which I actually enjoy to some extent) do not properly cohere with the verses, and the song does not fit all that well on the record, especially in the 8th slot. Worst segueing ever on a U2 album? Quite possibly.

EPAA would be quite enjoyable to me if it started about 3 minutes in.

And 4th Of July is very nice, but there are many instrumentals from that period which are superior.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom