We Just Had an earthquake!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

missmacphisto

Refugee
Scary...reminds me of bigger ones we've had thatve killed people....Makes me nervous.
frown.gif

This one just sorta jerked this building around, made the computer and the ground sway for awhile. It was a surface quake too!
eek.gif
http://www.scecdc.scec.org:3128/recenteqs/Quakes/ci12659440.html

------------------
Look...look what you've done to me...You've made me poor and infamous, and I thank you...

My name is MISS MACPHISTO...I'm tired and i want to go HOME...

"Well you tell...Bonovista,that i said hello and that my codename is Belleview" - Bono before opening night of Anaheim Elevation concert

Well tonight thank God it's them, instead of you...

[This message has been edited by Miss MacPhisto (edited 03-16-2002).]

Awww, thanks!
smile.gif

Yeah, i'm just a bit shaken, as usual. The things about quakes is that, even if they start out small, they can get much worse. And you never know which ones are just little events, and which ones are gonna turn into something. Plus...they could be foreshocks to a larger quake, though thats very rare.

Oh god I know all about earthquake miss.. gah.

The small ones arent bad.. actually they're kind of cool but can be scary. The big ones are what worry me. Especially after that 7.0 we had in 1987..
eek.gif

That wasnt the Whittier Narrows quake, was it? I remember that one, but it wasnt 7.0. We had the Big Bear/Landers quakes that were a magnitude 7.2 (i think!), but they didnt really do all that much destruction as they were ceneterd out in the desert.
The 94 Northridge quake was a different story...
frown.gif
I'll never get over that, totally.

Oh I was talking about the one here in SF.
That one caused major damage and killed people.
frown.gif

Aw damn I missed it! A 4.6 up at Santa Barbara? Well, that is about 100 miles way from where I live and combined with the fact that I live next to one of the busiest freeways in California (I-5 Golden State Freeway) I often dismiss shaking of the apartment as another semi driving by.

Hey Sicy the 7.1 was in 1989 not 1987. That was scary as f%ck! I was working in San Ramon in a low rise office building when that hit and boy did it shake hard as hell.

Miss MacPhisto, get out of the Valley, you'll feel less Northridge aftershocks(I know this wasnt one of them...)!

Blah! You losers! You missed it! J/k!!
biggrin.gif

Yeah, I heard all about that '89 quake. So horrible, heard about the freeway collapsing and just literally smashing people,just horrific. I have a distant relative in Oakland, and she said that around where she lives, most people tried to help each other out. That wasnt usually the case during the quakes I've lived through...
Youre SO right, Camilo! I am DESPERATE to get out of the freakin' valley! As everyone who knows me is aware, i absolutely DESPISE the valley,lol! As soon as i have the money, I am outta here!
mad.gif

------------------
Look...look what you've done to me...You've made me poor and infamous, and I thank you...

My name is MISS MACPHISTO...I'm tired and i want to go HOME...

"Well you tell...Bonovista,that i said hello and that my codename is Belleview" - Bono before opening night of Anaheim Elevation concert

Well tonight thank God it's them, instead of you...

I didnt feel anything either, i was in Whittier at the time, too.

Thanks everyone.
smile.gif

Yeah, ForBono, that was the Sylmar quake youre talking about. My mom told me how bad that one was, they were afraid the dam was gonna break, i guess. Fortunately, it didnt. We didnt have another really noticeable quake for about 16 years, till the Whittier one hit.
Its good that you moved to Florida...Florida is a great replacement for CA. I think i'd rather deal with the threat of storms, hurricanes, and living next to the Golden Girls than an earthquake!
biggrin.gif

SCARY! Well, that's the process of plate subduction for you. You never know when or where you're going to feel it. I live in fear.

------------------
Keepin it krunk...

There's only room for one and here she comes, here she comes...

wow, Miss-glad you are ok. Those are what I don't miss about CA-being I was born and raised there and remember all the Quakes that have been mentioned. The Silmare (sp?) one I remember as the worst-my bed actually moved all the way acrossed the room-and back! I am glad you are ok, and yes-get out of the Valley! lol-I was I was always a 'beachgirl'so, anyway, peace PS:and get under that Threshold! :> )

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom