We discuss whatever Steve Jobs unveils at today's Apple keynote

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Canadiens1131

ONE love, blood, life
It's going on right now :drool:
Unfortunately Engadget, the website with up-to-the-munite blog posts about what they unveil, is down right now.

We'll see.

• Intel Mac Minis (pseudo media hubs)
  • Front Row update
  • Leather iPod cases
  • iPod boombox

Nothing special, unfortunately.

060228_ipodhifi_hmed.hmedium.jpg

My thoughts on the Intel Mini:

Good:
  • Four USB ports (plus FireWire 400), finally.
  • Two RAM slots, finally.
  • Better processor (with an option for dual-core awesomeness).
  • Standard 802.11 and Bluetooth (dunno if this is new or not, but it's great).
Bad:
  • Integrated Intel video crap.
  • Increased price.
  • No standard DVD writer on the lower-end model. I like how the Front Row and remote stuff is becoming standard on all Macs, so how about killing the Combo Drive already?
If it only had two out of those three flaws (any two), it'd be fine, but the triple-threat kind of sucks. I hope the Intel iBooks/Mac Books/WhateverthefuckBooks are better.

Anyway, I want a Core Duo Mini. Really, I want a Core Duo Anything.

The iPod stuff sucks.

Last edited:
why no itt? :sad:

typhoon said:
My thoughts on the Intel Mini:

Good:
  • Four USB ports (plus FireWire 400), finally.
  • Two RAM slots, finally.
  • Better processor (with an option for dual-core awesomeness).
  • Standard 802.11 and Bluetooth (dunno if this is new or not, but it's great).
Bad:
  • Integrated Intel video crap.
  • Increased price.
  • No standard DVD writer on the lower-end model. I like how the Front Row and remote stuff is becoming standard on all Macs, so how about killing the Combo Drive already?
seriously, having so few usb slots bums me out. i had to buy a hub because once you hook up a keyboard, mouse, printer, microphone (the mini has no microphone/audio output jack), and digital camera, i found myself out of jacks. that's including the two extra you get on the apple keyboard.

i think bluetooth was standard already, i'm not sure. i bought my mac mini when it first came out and wasn't standard but i think it may have been made the standard later.

and yeah, the increase in price is a :down:

i'd say i wish i'd waited later to get mine but i've had mine for a year now so it's just as well. and now that i have my external hard drive and usb hub, i see no reason to upgrade for another 2-3 years :drool:

Wouldn't the intergrated Intel video BS also prevent you from indulging in all the pretty OSX sucking and blowing of windows into the dock, screenwide effects like the water droplet-type stuff some programs do, etc.

Canadiens1160 said:
Wouldn't the intergrated Intel video BS also prevent you from indulging in all the pretty OSX sucking and blowing of windows into the dock, screenwide effects like the water droplet-type stuff some programs do, etc.

i doubt very much that the genie effect will be affected. i have a g4 ibook and a lot of the core graphic shit (droplet efx) don't work on mine by the genie is standard to the os.

all in all today was a bit of a let down. that boombox is ugly as hell. i think the mini updates were pretty much what everyone should have expected. frankly i'm surprised there is a core duo option at all but that can only mean good news for the new mac book (formerly ibook ;) ). the intel integrated graphics set sort of makes sense...the machine isn't designed for gaming or pro apps and the core solos/duos are more expensive than the previous g4 per chip. gotta cut corners somewhere to keep the prices down. i believe the front side bus got a nice boost and weren't the original mini hard drives only 4200 rpm? i see they are now up to 5400 standard.

All I have to say, is that $350 is waaaay too much for that iPod "Hifi" boombox. Waaaaaay too much.

As for the other announcements - the new Intel mini looks nice, but I've decided that the next Mac I buy (I currently have an original Mac mini) is going to be their Power Mac tower (whatever they decide to call their intel processor version). But that's not going to be for a while.

Last edited:
RedrocksU2 said:
BTW...."Black" Bose Soundock is on it's way..........:shh:

Thanks. But I heard nothing. I think. So I will tell my son, he has a black video iPod. Oh wait, what was I gonna tell him again? Oh that's right, I didn't hear anything. :silent:

:up: :shh:

Back
Top Bottom