Wayne Gretzky comes out in support of Bush... Gretzky statue gets defaced in response - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-26-2003, 12:40 PM   #1
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 02:35 PM
Wayne Gretzky comes out in support of Bush... Gretzky statue gets defaced in response

http://espn.go.com/nhl/news/2003/0325/1529500.html

EDMONTON, Alberta -- A statue of Wayne Gretzky was adorned with a sign that read "U$ Lackey'' on Tuesday in protest of the hockey star's recent comments supporting President Bush in the war against Iraq.

Employees of Skyreach Centre quickly removed the cardboard sign from the statue at the entrance to the home arena of Gretzky's former team, the Edmonton Oilers.

Earlier this week, Gretzky praised Bush as a great leader, saying he backed him 100 percent. However, Gretzky also shied away from criticizing Canada's decision to stay out of the conflict.

"The reality is, you know, the people we should be concerned about are the people fighting in Iraq, the people who are there on the missions,'' Gretzky said Tuesday.

"We shouldn't be worried about what entertainers or athletes or Wayne Gretzky or Don Cherry says. It's immaterial.''

Cherry and his Hockey Night in Canada cohost Ron MacLean came under criticism for debating the Iraq war on their televised Coach's Corner segment over the weekend.

Old 03-26-2003, 12:57 PM   #2
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:35 AM
Nice "peaceful" response.

Old 03-26-2003, 04:50 PM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 07:35 PM
Haha, that's kind of funny - I'd hardly call a piece of cardboard "defacing a statue" Wow, what vandalism! LOL
Old 03-26-2003, 04:52 PM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
Nice "peaceful" response.
Actually, once you think about it, it is quite peaceful. Not that I condone it.
Old 03-26-2003, 04:56 PM   #5
Purgatory

Local Time: 01:35 PM
yes, ofcourse its peaceful. but at the same time, everyone has the right to freedom of speech, and wayne's opinion is wayne's opinion. he has the right to say what he wants.
Old 03-26-2003, 05:04 PM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Absolutely. And thank God he, like everyone else in Western society, still has that right.
Old 03-26-2003, 06:22 PM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie

I should add, I did not mean to suggest, by my last comment, that only Western society holds the right to free speech. Perhaps I should not have qualified it, as it was misleading to do so. There are many societies that have the right to free speech, not just ours.

As far as Wayne's opinion is concerned, I may not agree with him, but l would always defend his right to hold it. Putting a cardboard sign on his statue was not cool. That said, knowing the people of Edmonton, the person(s) who did it probably feel(s) sacrilegious and is/are praying for forgiveness! Wayne's like a holy figure in that city.
Old 03-26-2003, 07:51 PM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 01:35 PM
I used to have a little respect for Mr. Cherry, but I don't consider Coach's Corner a hub for political debate... even though Ron isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer, he still succeeds in making Don look like an arse...

As for "defacing" the statue of Gretzky, that's bullshit. It was a cardboard sign... in Canada that's how we politely make political statements, because that graffiti is too damn hard to get out. . I'll be up in Edmonton soon, maybe I'll post a sign on Wayne that says "will work for Bush"... double entendre!
Old 03-26-2003, 10:16 PM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Yeah, it's really a Canadian thing. I think you almost have to be one in order to not get offended by it. Gretzky is my favourite player of all time, and I can't tell you how much respect I have for him (perhaps the greatest Canadian ever?), but this "vandalism" really made me laugh! I saw it on the news today, and I couldn't help but burst into hysterics. Seeing a flimsy piece of cardboard taped onto the "great" statue, and then seeing everyone in upheaval over it, does wonders for taking things too seriously.
Old 03-26-2003, 10:20 PM   #10
Kid A

oh who cares, I dont even know why this was reported, next they'll be reporting about someone who puts chewed bubble gum on the ground and forgets to throw it away at Reagan International Airport... saying it was intentionally done to mock his Alzheimer's or something
Old 03-26-2003, 10:28 PM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Wanderer, of course it was of some significance. It's just not that big of a deal in comparison to what else is going on right now. Political statements are made all the time. Wayne Gretzky makes them, Bono makes them, and even people who think they have no voices make them by attaching stupid signs to statues. In the end, what can you do but find humour in such stupidity. I suppose it just shows how fucked up the world is right now when something like this makes for light-hearted television. I look for it where I can get it these days. I'm tired of taking myself painfully seriously, I guess (to quote a wise man).
Old 03-26-2003, 10:47 PM   #12
Kid A

i mean it's ridiculous, the headline of this report had me thinking, "what the hell, they spray painted his statue or hit it with a hammer or something... ?"

no, they put a cardboard sign in front of it that is now gone with no damage...

interesting though that you didnt bring this up MG, I hadnt heard that Gretzky came out in favor of the war, that makes him the next Ted Williams or something? (greatest hitter ever to play the game of baseball, fought for the Allies in WWII for airforce, then came back and resumed his brilliant career), ok, maybe not quite the same thing here
Old 03-26-2003, 11:46 PM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Wanderer - actually I was going to post it in one of the 5 million hockey threads, but someone beat me to it. I don't think it's really headline worthy though. I just found out about it today, actually. I still don't see what the big deal is. Wayne is a Canadian who now lives in the US. Naturally, his views would be more in line with the average American on this issue (specifically, backing Bush 100%). I don't know why Canadians should find that so hard to comprehend, and why it should matter even. Though, sentimentally, he'll always have a large piece of Canada inside of him, Gretzky is basically an American now. I don't think he will ever move back to Canada. His wife and kids are both American citizens, and almost all his business is down there (including the Coyotes). I say to my fellow Canadians, he always played for team Canada, and did us proud. Let the man be.
Old 03-27-2003, 01:06 AM   #14
Kid A

well I meant the part about "vandalizing" the statue, that never actually happened; I meant you hadnt mentioned he came out for the war, but I guess it can be dismissed that he is a sell-out to the US

btw, isnt the CBC a government station?
Old 03-27-2003, 01:12 AM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Yes, I know you meant that. I understood. I'm simpy saying that I was going to post that he came out for the war, but someone else beat me to it. Or am I misunderstanding you this time?! The CBC is run by the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation, which I believe is funded, or partly funded, by the government. Why do you ask?