Waxing advice - ladies only (unless you are a boy who's had a bikini wax)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bonosloveslave

Offishul Kitteh Doctor
Staff member
My boss is sponsoring a belated Christmas gift of a day at the local spa! :hyper:

We will get a manicure, pedicure, massage, and some other treatment of my choice (I turned down a facial - too stressful on my horrible skin when I have to work later in the day). I will probably have a wax of some sort - do I go for my first bikini wax? :yikes: Will I hate myself later walking around the rest of the day or is it not that bad? Any advice for pain other than taking a Tylenol beforehand?

Any sassy comments made by boys will be punished :mad:

My girlfriend got a Brazilian wax a couple weeks ago and did a tequila shot beforehand. She said it hurt, but not *that* much.

The whole time leading up to it, I was like a kid on Christmas eve, but I kept trying to "act cool" about it (and mostly failing) because I knew she was the one who had to endure it.

Thank goodness she did!

:drool:

i've never had one but i would image who thick and coarse your hair is would make a big difference pain wise.

Last edited:
What is a Brazilian wax???

And don´t you normally shave for getting rid of hair? What´s the difference to a wax?

I didn´t know I´d still have something to learn being 30+

BLS it sounds scary to me. Don´t do it. :scared:

ILuvLarryMullen said:
brazillian you take everything off

Waxing is when you rip the hair out by the root, so very different from shaving.
:yes:

and hiphop, if you're wondering why someone would want to get waxed, it's because the results last a lot longer than shaving. and if we're talking brazillian waxing, there's much less risk of painful ingrown hairs. :yikes:

this thread has reminded me i need to get my eyebrow waxed. yes i said eyebrow, i'm starting to look like bert. :mad:

ILuvLarryMullen said:
I feel your pain :crack:, i pluck though.
oh god i can't pluck mine. i've got naturally thick eyebrows, which would be great if it were 1988 and that was still in style. it would take me hours if i were to pluck my eyebrows. :crack:

Someone on "Oprah" called a Brazilian wax on a pain scale of 1 to 10 (childbirth) an "8"...lol.

Melon

Sicy said:
Eyebrow wax :drool:

stupid. plain stupid. you have perfect eyebrows. i have really watched girls who were exaggerating the eyebrow thing. ripping the hairs out! (doesn´t that hurt?)

..i don´t like girls without eyebrows.

I get my legs and underarms waxed on a regular basis.

It really hurt the first time but I've gotten used to it :ohmy:

Make sure the person who does your waxing is experienced.

The bikini part of the leg waxing will only take 1 to 2 minutes.

The hair grows back slower and finer :up:

I think the pain level varies from person to person.

I've gotten various waxes and it stings for a minute or two, but it's definitely not an "8" with a 10 being childbirth :lol: :uhoh:

A good way to prevent bumps/"razor burn" is to make sure the salon doesn't use oil or oil-based lotions afterward. Oil will clog the pours.

And go to a good salon. I went to an incredibly snobby one once and the woman did a shoddy job on my legs and it hurt. I learned if the beautician doesn't make me feel comfortable I won't put myself in their hands.

Well, I don't know if I will chicken out or not - I saved my underarms anyway, I think I could handle that. We'll see how it goes.......

Hiphop, my great-grandmother always said, "You have to suffer to be beautiful!" :sigh:

A bikini wax does hurt, but the results are worth it. And the pain level depends alot on the skill of the person doing it. The first pull of the wax is a shock but once you get into the waxer's rhythym and learn to exhale when she pulls the wax off, you can somewhat control the pain.

I had one experience pretty damn close to childbirth level pain but that was a fluke...it's usually bearable and you do forget about it once its over. You will be able to go about your day afterward without even thinking about it.

A few tips:

Do not have it done the week before your period

If you are retaining water, it will hurt more

Take a few Tylenol before you go

bonosloveslave said:
Well, I don't know if I will chicken out or not - I saved my underarms anyway, I think I could handle that. We'll see how it goes.......

Hiphop, my great-grandmother always said, "You have to suffer to be beautiful!" :sigh:

My grandma said the same when I was learning how to use a tie!

May they both rest in peace.

whenhiphopdrovethebigcars said:
stupid. plain stupid. you have perfect eyebrows. i have really watched girls who were exaggerating the eyebrow thing. ripping the hairs out! (doesn´t that hurt?)

..i don´t like girls without eyebrows.

You are so silly. Of COURSE I have perfect eyebrows, because I get them waxed and shaped every 3 weeks!

I do not wax ALL of the eyebrows silly.. just the middle and some off the top and bottom... you know I am Italian, gotta get rid of that unibrow and bush of a brow I have :mad: :lol:

Sicy said:

You are so silly. Of COURSE I have perfect eyebrows, because I get them waxed and shaped every 3 weeks!

I do not wax ALL of the eyebrows silly.. just the middle and some off the top and bottom... you know I am Italian, gotta get rid of that unibrow and bush of a brow I have :mad: :lol:

Sicilian Goddess - I just understand you are perfect the way you are :)

I tried Brazilian a couple of times as a special treat for a certain someone. :sexywink: It was not fun. They go right up your bum! :yikes: Not for the shy and faint of heart! :lmao:

Now I just get a regular wax, which is very nice and tidy. If I can't find a salon I like (still haven't found one here in MD), I use Nair, but that doesn't last very long.

Brazilian is too painful and too EXPENSIVE to do more than once a year tops. I've never taken Tylenol before, not a bad idea! :hmm:

When I was in SD with Char, we went to get our nails done and the lady at the salon asked (suggested) I get my eyebrows waxed. I have been waffling about that for ages. Paul loves them the way they are, but they aren't exactly shapely. Then again it seems that everyone gets theirs waxed. I'm not sure if I want the bother of the maintenance. Now I only have to pluck the odd stray hair and its one of the only things I never bother with!

Jury's still out on that....

^^uhh, I wouldn't say it's 'up the ass', but the Brazilian gets basically ALL stray hairs in the nether-regions, other than a small landing strip front and center. :no:

Well, I survived - I was brave enough to go for the underarms and the *regular* bikini wax, and it really wasnt much worse than eyebrows other than a few more rips. And I honestly wasn't thinking about it at all the rest of the day!

It was really a decadent day - VERY swanky day spa, started with an hour-long swedish massage, then the waxing, then a lovely lunch, followed by a nice long relaxing pedicure and manicure. BIG bucks for my boss for the 3 of us girls to do this :ohmy:

Sadly, 12 hours later, I don't feel like I had all this done just earlier in the day. It was horrible having to go into work after all this - not a single simple exam with vaccines, *every* cat was sick today. I'm ready to crash.........:faint:

But thanks so much for the advice, and I'm glad I conquered my fear - the esthetician says I'll be addicted now, we'll see :)

And Jess - you should have your eyebrows done at least once in your life. If you're really good, you can keep up with it at home with plucking for a long time afterwards to keep the shape. If you think of the eyes as the window to the soul, the brows are like the frames - try on a new set of frames, I bet you'll love it! :yes:

Back
Top Bottom