Watching the News...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
I'm a news junkie. But more than that, I am a CNN junkie. I can't get enough of it. I crave it. I want to hug CNN.

Specifically my all-consuming fascination with Anderson Cooper. I love that dude. :heart:

Without making this a political thread - what news do you all watch and who do you like?

Last edited:
i avoid the news like the plague. any big issues seem to leak through anyway. it cuts down on having to stare at stupid haircuts telling me how many people died in school shootings or due to terrorist activities. if i could wipe CNN (i get like 3 different CNNs, not to mention a host of other 24-hour news channels) off my cable, i would.

This is a great thread, Carrie!

My favorite news guy is Keith Olbermann. He's the host of "Countdown" on MSNBC. He's intelligent and doesn't tolerate fools, and he's also very good looking!

My TV is broken at the moment...I've had to follow the Hurricane Katrina coverage on the Internet. I'd probably watch CNN most if it were working, except at 8 pm EST when I'd turn to Keith.

Diane L said:

My favorite news guy is Keith Olbermann.

I used to watch him when he was the very funny sports guy on KTLA channel 5 out here. :up:

I only watch the top of the news, the first minute or two, either CNN Headline or the locals, to see if there's been a death or a brushfire anywhere.

Now, the Weather Channel-- that's a different story. :reject:

I don't usually spend time watching the news, but the last week or 2 it's been CNN, occasionally MSNBC, and a local channel hop to get the latest. And I think Anderson Cooper has been doing a great job. He was even on remote with Bill Maher's HBO show last Friday night. :up:

And Martha - I remember Olberman as the sports guy as well, From Channel 5 he went to (CBS) Channel 2 I believe. And no idea where he is now... :reject:

I only catch the big news channels from time to time. Not that I'm not interested, I just for some reason or other don't think to tune in more often. But I hear there's some very interesting programming on those channels.

The news-related thing I've tended to watch often is "Real Time With Bill Maher" on HBO. I enjoy that show quite a bit-it's funny, and you can hear differing viewpoints, and it's, obviously, another good way to keep up with the news...and I like the "New Rules" segment :p.

Angela

Bill Maher is great :bow: I missed the one with Chris Rock about 2 weeks ago. I saw last weeks episode. I try not to miss the HBO show

:hug: Angela!

I watch a bit of many things-CNN (Larry King, Paula Zahn, Anderson), CSpan, MSNBC, even Fox (it helps to be aware of the insanity going on, and it's fun to point and laugh :D )

i loathe cnn but love anderson cooper. go figure.

i'm obsessed with the bbc. and there's this amazing show on cbc newsworld called the hour that is the perfect mix of serious news, political rants, and general coolness thanks to george stroumbolopoulous.

and the daily show. sure, it's satire, but you still get the news just the same.

:heart:

CNN, C-Span, MSNBC, Fox and the local stations are what I usually watch ... although, lately I've been just checking out The Weather Channel as I'm always interested in the daily forecast. :up:
The news has been so-ooo depressing lately with all the coverage
of Hurricane Katrina and the damage and death tolls, that I just can't stand to watch it anymore. :down:
What a shame ... for all those people down in New Orleans ... totally devastating !! :sad:

Lila64 said:
Bill Maher is great :bow: I missed the one with Chris Rock about 2 weeks ago. I saw last weeks episode. I try not to miss the HBO show

:hug: Angela!

Heh, and I'm the opposite-I missed last week's show, but saw the one with Chris :).

Glad to find another person who likes the show :up: :D :hug:.

This thread reminds me-I, too, watch the local news (but that I watch for the sheer entertainment value. Seriously, it seems every town I've lived in has had really bad local newscasters, LOL).

And I watch the Weather Channel, too. Far too much, sometimes, I think :reject:.

Angela

I watch mostly Fox News. It's a guilty pleasure similar to reading the National Enquirer or watching professional wrestling. As long as you don't take them seriously, or kid yourself into thinking that they abide by basic standards of journalism, it can be WILDLY entertaining.

U2democrat said:
he's so funny and a great guy :up:

Really? He's got such a bad reputation and extremely conservative media persona though, and even agreed with the bombing of a Greenpeace boat in France or something.

Back
Top Bottom