Watch for U2Bama on ESPN's College GameDay Saturday

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2Bama

Rock n' Roll Doggie
I will be on the front row yelling at Lee Corso, Chris Fowler and Kirk Herbstreit as they bring their show to Tuscaloosa, Alabama and the campus of the University of Alabama leading up to the showdown between #22 Alabama and #6 Georgia. It will be on ESPN from 9:30 a.m. till 11:00 a.m. Central time. My wife is looking forward to seeing
herbstreit_kirk_c.jpg

The game will be on CBS at 2:30 p.m. Central time. Although I do look forward to seeing Jill Arrington on the sidelines,
jilla-cbsteam.jpg

I am mainly looking forward to defeating the 'Dawgs...

02_ua_10_05b.jpg

Roll Tide.

~U2Alabama

Last edited:
I'll bet Lee Corso will kick your ass

Jill Arrington, I somehow doubt she's played much college football, I wonder why she's on the sidelines, I'm sure she's the "most qualified" for the job

The Wanderer said:
Jill Arrington, I somehow doubt she's played much college football, I wonder why she's on the sidelines, I'm sure she's the "most qualified" for the job

You mean good-looking? That seems to qualify her quite well. :D

I love that commercial for GameDay with Fowler, Herbstreit, and Corso doing their tryouts for the show when they first started out. Herbstreit is still wearing his Ohio State uniform and trying to get the helmet off, but its stuck. Good stuff.

The Wanderer said:
the big shocker of the day was not Alabama nearly pulling off the upset, but #2 Texas struggling at home
Actually Alabama was favored, so Georgia winning was a mild upset, even though they are ranked higher. Tuscaloosa is a tough place for visitors.
As for Texas, both the Longhorns and Oklahoma both seemed to be a bit guilty of looking ahead to next week's Red River matchup, something quite common with college teams, looking past a supposed weaker team when a big game looms the next week.

KIRK! I LOVE YOU!!! KIRK!!!!!!

The Wanderer said:
Corso put on the Bama's Elephant mask today

Well, that explains why Alabama lost! Lee Corso picking your team to win is the kiss of death. I hope he picks Texass next week.

I agree that both OU and Texass seemed to be looking ahead to this week's game. I don't blame them at all. It's a huge game with possible national championship implications, and I wouldn't want to go into it with only a week's preparation.

And Bama, you know I have to rag on you now that both of my alma maters (in correct Latin, almae matres) have defeated Alabama this year. All in good fun--you know I have a lot of respect for the Alabama football team and its traditions. Wish I'd known you were going to be at GameDay. I would have watched for your wife yelling at Kirk Herbstreit again! He is so :drool: ! Tell her I said hi, okay? :wave:

I believe Bama was ranked 22 in the coaches' poll before the game. They are now unranked after losing.

In betting circles, Bama was a 4 point favorite, so from that standpoint the upset is Georgia winning at Alabama

We were late arriving in Tuscaloosa and did not get to the front row of the GameDay set, BUT...

we got our pictures taken witht he entire crew...

My wife got her picture taken with all 3 of them (individually), and I got my picture taken with Lee Corso. After they finished their 9:30-11:00 show, they left the stage and Herbstreit began working the crowd, posing for pictures and signing autographs, which is where my caught him for me to take a photo. Next was Chris Fowler; he was not as cordial to any of the fans. He must still be bitter from the Tennessee fans sending him a turd in the mail a few years ago after he made an on-air comment about "Big Orange Trailer Park Trash," and he feels the need to pass his disgust on to all of the SEC (although some Georgia fans in the crowd had a sign that said "We ALL Hate Tennessee").

Corso worked the crowd VERY well. My wife asked if she could take his picture with me, and he put his arm around me and asked me why Alabama is known as "the elephants" (which I explained to him). He posed for a similar picture with my wife. He is a really classy guy, belive it or not. Supposedly he was running up and down the sidelines during the game following the plays, which is pretty impressive for a 67 year old in 90+ degree heat.

They also had Coach Fran up on stage with them early in the show, and they interviewed Herschel Walker and Shaun Alexander together which drew huge cheers from the crowd.

Much like the Oklahoma game I attended in Norman a month ago, this was a very exciting game. UGA brought a ton of fans and my wife and I happened to be sitting very near their section; they were definitely loud. But late in the game when we had 2 back-to-back TDs (one off of a turnover), we got VERY loud when they got the ball back; unfortunately, noise didn't do the trick; UGA did the trick at the line of scrimmage and got to kick a winning field goal. The game could have gone either way; I still think both teams are very good. I plan to travel to Athens next year. Regarding the line, I would say that the 3-4 points it waivered between last week essentially represents an "even," but gives Alabama the home field advantage; that is pretty accurate in hindsight. Both teams made mistakes and drew flags, but Bama's were crucial and at the wrong times.

Heartland_Girl, some Bama fans are even wanting Oklahoma and Georgia to fight it out for the national championship game in Tempe this year; doubtful, but a nice thought.

I wanted Arkansas to beat Tennessee because a UT loss would help UK be the illegitimate SEC East champion, especially after Florida's loss to Ole Miss earlier in the day. My sinister plan is for Kentucky and Alabama to play spoiler to all of the "eligible" teams in the SEC East and SEC West since neither of us can go to Atlanta for the SEC Champ game or any bowl game. Perhaps we could meet up for a scrimmage game in some little league ball park.

The game also exemplified the inconsistency of Arkansas: a team with one of the best home winning streaks but which was STOMPED by Bama last week, then goes to the infamous, 108,000+ fan capacity Neyland Stadium in Knoxville and takes the VOls to SIX overtimes? Go figure. Maybe we will finally beat UT this year.

This weekend I will be visiting enemy territory for the Arkansas at Auburn game as Bama is BYE this week. We are going with several other "mixed marriage" couples, and all of us husbands have been told by our wives not to wear red, which is fine, but I sure as hell won't wear orange and/or blue either.

I will post my Texas/OU pick in the other thread.

~U2Alabama

Wow! So when do we get to see the pictures? (Which reminds me, did you ever get the pictures that you took in Oklahoma developed?) It's nice to hear that Lee Corso is a good guy. I always thought he and Kirk seemed nicer than Chris, even if Lee does jinx teams all the time. He's hilarious to watch, especially in the new Game Day commercial where he's showing his chest hair and saying, "Yo!"

Anyway, sounds like you had a great time. I watched the game on television and thought it was a good battle. I thought Alabama kind of hurt themselves by being conservative and running the ball at the end. My final impression was that Georgia seems to be a pretty good football team. Oklahoma vs. Georgia in the Fiesta Bowl? Sounds like a plan to me! :yes:

I plan to post excerpts from both sets of pictures within the next few weeks.

We lost because we DID get too conservative on our next-to-last possession (with about 6 minutes left) and because our kicking came up short at a few crucial moments. Had we not missed an extra point early in the game, we would have brought the score to a tie with our final TD; our current punter had one of his best days (he is filling in for injured Lane Bearden, show scored the TD on the fake vs. OU), but he came up very short on that final punt and gave UGA excellent field position; and, finally, our short-range place kicker had a low kick blocked.

UGA did not make those mistakes.

~U2Alabama

Back
Top Bottom