warning: new cute polar bear alert

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

europop2005

Refugee
just born in Germany (same zoo as Knut)

r2902292704.jpg

r1643973220.jpg

r3338457976.jpg

r28935948.jpg

capt.d0c7281ad9a0482daa9652e1bd32451c.germany_polar_bear_fra803.jpg

I have a soft spot for polar bears. Aside from their cuteness, I see them now as harbingers of global warming, as they desperately try to survive.

The cuteness factor is high, however. :wink: I normally hate television commercials, but the Coca Cola ads with the bears always make me smile.

It's not the same Zoo as Knut was born in, Berlin, she was born in Nuremberg.
But her mother did abandon her, as well, so the Zoo had to take care of the cub.
At the same time in the Zoo in Nuremberg, another polar bear gave birth to twins, but they didn't survive.

Now they called it "Flocke" (flake). I hope that's not her final name. But I also never liked the name Knut.

apparently the temporary name is "Flocke" which means "snowflake", they are still deciding on a permament name

It's a girl, not a guy. :)
And they decided to keep the name Flocke. :( It's a bit funny: First they ask the public to send in name suggestions, then they receive 25,000 suggestions and in the end they decide to leave the name as it is.

CPS.MMT02.290208192152.photo00.photo.jpg

New polar bear cub wows Germany
Feb 29

After Cute Knut and Flocke, Germany on Friday got a new polar bear cub to ooh and aah over -- and this time one which hasn't been rejected or eaten by its mother.

Wilbaer is the name of the new fluffy white arrival, a play on words combining Wilhelma and Eisbaer -- German for polar bear -- and although he was born on December 10 his existence has been kept secret until now.

Wilbaer's mother Corinna appears to have decided to do her maternal duty and not abandon her progeny while still in cubhood, Stuttgart zoo director Dieter Jauch in southern Germany said.

The zoo hopes to avoid the intense media interest that Knut attracted last year when the cub was abandoned by his mother and had to be reared by keepers at Berlin zoo.

Images of Knut were beamed around the world and "Knut mania" brought the zoo a windfall of almost five million euros (7.6 million dollars) from extra visitors and associated merchandising.

"Wilbaer will not be a commercial success," Jauch said.

Back
Top Bottom