warning: email scam, it looks legit!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ABEL

An Angel In Devil's Shoes
i got 3 emails this week, two of them today that appeared to be from earthlink customer support. i even checked the properties and it looked legit because it was coming from an earthlink email address.

all of the emails appeared to be from the earthlink customer support team.

the first email said that my computer had been compromised to send out a large amount of spam this week and that i should download a file and follow their instructions to fix it. well this gave me doubts right away because it was a zip file they were asking me to download. it looked so legit that i almost downloaded it but i didn't. i wanted to check with earthlink first because i know that viruses can be sent in zipped files.

this morning i received 2 more emails that appeared to be once again from customer support and looked very legit. they gave me a link to a website and asked me to validate my email account information by filling out a form on the link they gave me. again i had my doubts because the two emails came at the same time, one said "pay office" and one said "earthlink merchant department".

i just contacted earthlink via customer support chat and forwarded the emails to them and indeed they said they were fraudulent and that they never send out anything like that via email.

my warning to all of you is if you receive anything from your service providers that asks you to go to a website or download something, please contact them first directly and ask if its legit!!!

thankfully i did not give these spammers any of my info but it would have been so easy to be tricked into it!

:angry:

Last edited:
I recently got spam that looked like it was from eBay, but I reported it for review because they wanted my credit card info. Sure enough, it was a spoof. :mad:

Be careful, folks!

These things are getting sneakier. :huh: I got one that appeared to be from my phone company a few days ago and almost clicked on it until I realized the IP was in China. Don't think my southern telco has moved to China just yet, :madspit:

I get some really ridiculous ones too, like the one I get at least weekly begging me to go update my account information at a bank I've never heard of. Yeah okay.

Back
Top Bottom