War of the Worlds - Page 6 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-10-2005, 03:51 PM   #76
Refugee

Local Time: 04:27 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by corianderstem

Other than that, I loved it. It was much more intense than I'd anticipated - it seriously freaked my shit out. Yeah, the latter half wasn't as good as the first, but it wasn't as bad as I'd been led to believe.

Color me impressed.
Yeah, terrifying movie and very well made. So close to a classic.

Old 07-10-2005, 04:41 PM   #77
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:27 PM
Brillant movie, could have had a better ending but still brillant.

Old 07-11-2005, 03:47 AM   #78
The Fly

Local Time: 12:27 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Blue Room

I would add Schindlers List and Saving Private Ryan to the list, and I think A.I. was just OK. Otherwise I would probebly agree.

I dont think the entire theater moved for the first 25 minutes of Saving Private Ryan during the Normandy beach landing scene back when I saw that in the theater. Not many movies do that to an entire audience.
As for "Saving..." - I think there is a difference between directing 2 great battle scenes (Normandy landing and final battle) and directing a good movie. Take out those 2 scenes and what do we have left?

The cast: Tom Hanks? He can bore ANYONE to death. He is the same in every role since Philadelfia. The rest of the cast are just talking heads.

The script: a little side note here. Does the name Zhukov ring any bells? He was the Marshall in the Russian (Red) Army responsible for number of great and important victories during WW2. He is a national hero and believed to be one of the greatest military strtegists of all time. He was commanding the operation to takedown Berlin and succeeded. The price were the lives of 300000 soldier and officers. The main purpose of this operation was to enter and secure Berlin ahead of the Allies (Americans mostly). This is just one of many examples of unwise and unneccessary waste of lives.

Another side note: there were special squads in the Red Army whose orders were to shoot soldiers (yes, their own, Russian soldiers) who were running away from the battle field.

Now I hope you understand why the plot where 6 men were sent to bring back 1 (and die in the process) just doesnt seem believable to me.

Oh and those episodes with old Ryan at the beginning and the end of the movie just made me sick.
Old 07-11-2005, 10:55 AM   #79
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by PhunkPhorce

The cast: Tom Hanks? He can bore ANYONE to death. He is the same in every role since Philadelfia.

What? Idiotic. Explain how his roles in movies as diverse as Forrest Gump, Saving Private Ryan, Castaway, Ladykillers, The Terminal, and Catch Me If You Can bear any resemblance to one another. Not necessarily saying they are all great roles, but completely different.
Old 07-11-2005, 11:26 AM   #80
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 02:27 PM
you forgot road to perdition
Old 07-12-2005, 12:08 AM   #81
The Fly

Local Time: 12:27 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by bsp77

What? Idiotic. Explain how his roles in movies as diverse as Forrest Gump, Saving Private Ryan, Castaway, Ladykillers, The Terminal, and Catch Me If You Can bear any resemblance to one another. Not necessarily saying they are all great roles, but completely different.
Movies are diverse, yes. He is the same. Unfortunately, I cannot comment on The Ladykillers (haven't watched it yet), but his approach to portraying his characters in Forrest Gump, Saving Private Ryan, Castaway, The Terminal, Road to Perdition and Catch Me If You Can stays the same. Same acting techniques, same expressions, same body language. And if you look a bit deeper into characters - are they really THAT different??

Tom Hanks in Forrest Gump: An IDIOT trying to deal with it.
Tom Hanks in Saving Private Ryan: An IDIOT leading his squad to death in an attemt to save one miserable jerk.
Tom Hanks in Castaway: An IDIOT talking to painted volley ball
Tom Hanks in The Terminal: An IDIOT from Castsway but not on a deserted island, but in the international airport.
Tom Hanks in Road to Perdition: An IDIOT hitman. Hitmans should not have families in the first place.
Tom Hanks in Catch me if you can: An IDIOT who can't catch Leo DiCaprio untill he calls him and gives him a clue.

Old 07-12-2005, 06:24 AM   #82
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by PhunkPhorce

Movies are diverse, yes. He is the same. Unfortunately, I cannot comment on The Ladykillers (haven't watched it yet), but his approach to portraying his characters in Forrest Gump, Saving Private Ryan, Castaway, The Terminal, Road to Perdition and Catch Me If You Can stays the same. Same acting techniques, same expressions, same body language. And if you look a bit deeper into characters - are they really THAT different??

Tom Hanks in Forrest Gump: An IDIOT trying to deal with it.
Tom Hanks in Saving Private Ryan: An IDIOT leading his squad to death in an attemt to save one miserable jerk.
Tom Hanks in Castaway: An IDIOT talking to painted volley ball
Tom Hanks in The Terminal: An IDIOT from Castsway but not on a deserted island, but in the international airport.
Tom Hanks in Road to Perdition: An IDIOT hitman. Hitmans should not have families in the first place.
Tom Hanks in Catch me if you can: An IDIOT who can't catch Leo DiCaprio untill he calls him and gives him a clue.

I think I found the IDIOT.
Old 07-12-2005, 08:12 AM   #83
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 05:27 PM
I saw the movie this weekend. It was ok, not too good. While I seem to agree with everyone that the first 90 minutes are good, the latter half literally sucks.

SPOILER

Spielberg did not manage a transition between the aliens ruling the world and them dying. It happens way too quickly, up to the point that we cannot figure out what is going on. Also, I agree with the previous references made to the kids' family being completely 'untouched'. What does this mean? That everything happened in NYC but nothing in Boston? This does not make sense, as we seen an alien when they get to Boston towards the end. The ending, being so quick and seemingly 'compressed' left me leaving the theater with a bitter taste. In my opinion, I would give this movie no more than a B-.
Old 07-12-2005, 09:52 AM   #84
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:27 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2@NYC
I saw the movie this weekend. It was ok, not too good. While I seem to agree with everyone that the first 90 minutes are good, the latter half literally sucks.

SPOILER

Spielberg did not manage a transition between the aliens ruling the world and them dying. It happens way too quickly, up to the point that we cannot figure out what is going on. Also, I agree with the previous references made to the kids' family being completely 'untouched'. What does this mean? That everything happened in NYC but nothing in Boston? This does not make sense, as we seen an alien when they get to Boston towards the end. The ending, being so quick and seemingly 'compressed' left me leaving the theater with a bitter taste. In my opinion, I would give this movie no more than a B-.

that is pretty much how h g wells wrote the story

the first movie made in the 50s abruptly ends when it starts to rain

apparently the aliens could not handle H2O in the fifties

i give it a B+, because I do not hold them responsible for the ending
-except the cornball, resurrection
Old 07-12-2005, 11:10 AM   #85
Blue Crack Addict

Saw this movie yesterday. Very intense, and it doesn't let up right until almost the end when the aliens start dying. I liked how we see exactly what the Ferrier family does, and it's really not your typical "hero saves the day from aliens" movie.

Good acting from Tom Cruise, awesome Dakota Fanning and Tim Robbins almost stole the show from everyone else.

Two things that I minded: 1) how come their car is working and no one elses? 2) the typical sugary Hollywood ending. (I mean all of them reuniting - I guess aliens didn't ruin all of Boston before they started dying)
Old 07-12-2005, 11:27 AM   #86
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by U2girl
Saw this movie yesterday. Very intense, and it doesn't let up right until almost the end when the aliens start dying. I liked how we see exactly what the Ferrier family does, and it's really not your typical "hero saves the day from aliens" movie.

Good acting from Tom Cruise, awesome Dakota Fanning and Tim Robbins almost stole the show from everyone else.

Two things that I minded: 1) how come their car is working and no one elses? 2) the typical sugary Hollywood ending. (I mean all of them reuniting - I guess aliens didn't ruin all of Boston before they started dying)
Hey Maja,

1. Their car is working because earlier in the picture, TC tells the mechanic to 'check the solenoid' or something like that. He apparently does and gets the car to work. My question then is, how come the car never needs any fuel?

2. Yup, ending is pretty bad.
Old 07-12-2005, 11:28 AM   #87
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by deep

that is pretty much how h g wells wrote the story

the first movie made in the 50s abruptly ends when it starts to rain

apparently the aliens could not handle H2O in the fifties

i give it a B+, because I do not hold them responsible for the ending
-except the cornball, resurrection
Hmmm, I guess I should not blame Spielberg then, but HG Wells for not being able to transition from domination to debacle in a better way... he could have figured it out somehow to make it look better, though.
Old 07-12-2005, 11:29 AM   #88
Blue Crack Addict

Hey Pablo

I know he does, but in a multi-million city is he the only one to come up with that idea?
(No cars to compete with so they just got fuel at gas stations? Or, they would have run out of fuel but they lost the car in that big fight too soon. )
Old 07-12-2005, 11:40 AM   #89
Blue Crack Addict

Favorite scenes:

- the start of the invasion; flashes, ground opening etc..
- any indoor scenes with the tentacles/Tim Robbins scenes
- when Cruise can't sing a lullaby to Dakota Fanning and when he breaks down in that restaurant after they lose the car and starts crying
- when he separates from his son and goes to get his daughter
- the river scene with all the bodies
- "Get in the car". "Get in the car or you will die." ZAP!
Old 07-12-2005, 11:45 AM   #90
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:27 AM
"Dad, I HAVE to see this!"

Riiiiiight