War of the Worlds

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
U2girl said:
Hey Pablo :wave:

I know he does, but in a multi-million city is he the only one to come up with that idea?
(No cars working so they just got fuel at gas stations? Or they would have run out of fuel but they lost the car in that big fight too soon. )

Good point... I guess there was only one open mechanic... :hmm:

I've just got back from seeing this film and it was OK (certainly not terrible) but I think that given this is a Spielberg picture, it could have been better.

Don't get me wrong the special effects were AMAZING and the dramatic set pieces were very well done (the river scene for example) but I just felt that because a lot of the film felt 'plotless' (they're running away from monsters that they can't defeat, they keep on running, then they hide, then they run, you get the picture but intersperse all this with set pieces of people dying) I wasn't responding to the set pieces as powerfully as I should because if Tom Cruise were to die it would be no greater loss to the film's plot than say, the mechanic. I agree that I didn't want Tom to be a 'Tom C saves the world' character but why should I care about him more than anyone else? I know that doesn't make any sense but I know what I mean.

Stuff I disliked:

1. Robbie may be :drool: but come on! The whole "dad, I gotta see this" whilst all that stuff's happening with the sister? Please...

2. The idiotic way people behave at points in the film. Eg. I'll just tell my daughter to come and stand out here in a thunderstorm.

3. When they're in the cage thing they let all the other humans get eaten but when it's Tom Cruise's turn they'll all like "NO!!!!! Not Tom with cute daughter, we must save him!!!!!".

4. The ending...I watched all the way to the end for THAT?! A three second explanation that didn't give me any details and I don't wanna spoil the ending for anyone but let's just say I didn't find it particularly likely. (for the same reasons as bsp77 and agree with U2@NYC about the quickness of it)

5. Half of my 95p bag of malteasers melted during the first 10 minutes of the film... :sad:

Things I liked:

1. The no-expense spared production.
2. That little girl can act, probably the best performer in the film.
3. The humour (baseball through window etc)

So like I said at the start, it was by no means bad but it could have been so much better. And if I've revealed a crucial plotline and ruined someone's enjoyment of the film then I'm sooooo sorry, please forgive me!

Also agree about the rating, 12A?! A 15 would perhaps have been more appropriate, though kids these days...etc

Finally saw the movie yesterday. Overall, I really liked it and thought that as a disaster film it was intense as hell. Dakota Fanning was amazing. Tom Cruise was serviceable playing what was basically a "type" rather than a real character. (Has anyone noticed BTW how often Tom Cruise plays a character who achieves some sort of redemption by the end of the film? Jerry Maguire, Last Smaurai etc.) I can't say I was all that touched by all the family going-on though, I especially couldn't care less if the teenage son lived or died.

I agree that the ending is way too abrupt. I don't think that "that's how it went in the book" is much of an excuse - a film has to work by itself as a film and not fall back on the book. If they even gave an inkling of what was to come it would have been much better.

Back
Top Bottom