War of the Worlds - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-01-2005, 02:51 AM   #46
Blue Crack Addict
 
Aardvark747's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Obscured By Clouds...
Posts: 22,359
Local Time: 09:57 AM
Saw this yesterday, and as a HUGE TC fan, I can only say this.....Awful.

So predictable...so dull. I expected so much more from TC and SS especially. Maybe I just love Jeff Wayne's musical version too much to be able to enjoy any other version of this story.

5/10
__________________

__________________
Aardvark747 is offline  
Old 07-01-2005, 04:57 AM   #47
Acrobat
 
briarrose's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 470
Local Time: 09:57 AM
I didn't like this movie either. I was really into for about the first 45 minutes, but then it just went downhill. I didn't like the end at all. It was too abrupt. I couldn't believe this was a Steven Spielberg movie.
__________________

__________________
briarrose is offline  
Old 07-01-2005, 04:59 AM   #48
Blue Crack Addict
 
MrsSpringsteen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 24,974
Local Time: 04:57 AM
I'd give it 2 or 2 1/2 stars. Very impressive technical achievement, but it's just not what I've come to expect from Steven Spielberg. To me he is a storyteller w/ that rare quality of subtlety, and this has no subtlety whatsoever-and very little story.

Dakota Fanning is one fine actress, and I thought Tom did a decent job.

One thing I have to say-this movie is NOT appropriate for kids. There were two kids in front of me who looked about 7 or 8..they were terrified and the parents eventually left. It took them long enough. I don't understand why people don't read up on the content of these movies. It should be rated R.

People had strange reactions to it-the scene where Dakota goes to the river and sees what she sees, people were laughing Maybe it's that situation where people laugh because they're so unnerved and uncomfortable.
__________________
MrsSpringsteen is offline  
Old 07-01-2005, 05:08 AM   #49
The Fly
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 171
Local Time: 11:57 AM
I haven't seen War of the Worlds yet, but have a question about Spielberg. I think his greatest achievemnts were Jaws and Indiana Jones trilogy. After that (meaning since 1989) all his movies are just OK at best. "A.I." is an exception, but mostly thanks to Stanley Kubrick's "spirit".

What do you think?
__________________
PhunkPhorce is offline  
Old 07-01-2005, 05:20 AM   #50
Blue Crack Addict
 
MrsSpringsteen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 24,974
Local Time: 04:57 AM
what about Schindler's List?
__________________
MrsSpringsteen is offline  
Old 07-01-2005, 05:37 AM   #51
Blue Crack Addict
 
U2Girl1978's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: At the altar of the dark star
Posts: 19,374
Local Time: 05:57 AM
I think TC exerted some sort of control over the movie and SS to be honest. Do you think I'm wrong?
__________________
U2Girl1978 is offline  
Old 07-01-2005, 05:41 AM   #52
Blue Crack Addict
 
MrsSpringsteen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 24,974
Local Time: 04:57 AM
Tom was one of the producers on the movie so I suppose he controlled it to some extent
__________________
MrsSpringsteen is offline  
Old 07-01-2005, 05:47 AM   #53
The Fly
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 171
Local Time: 11:57 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen
what about Schindler's List?
well... I can imagine how it came out as some kind of revelation for a lot of people. With all those terrors of WW2 portrayed quite realistically.

Why there was nothing new for me in this movie is mostly because we have a lot of great movies, documentaries and books about WW2 here in Russia. So the topics of henocide, mass killings, tortures and all those terrible things which goes along with nazis are very well covered in our mass-media.

As for the rest of the movie components: story is based on the Thomas Keneally's book and you simply can't lose with Liam Neeson, Ben Kingsley and Ralph Fiennes so not much left to give Mr. Spielberg a credit for.

Oh, and the little girl in the red dress definetely belongs to "Titanic"
__________________
PhunkPhorce is offline  
Old 07-01-2005, 06:56 AM   #54
Blue Crack Addict
 
MrsSpringsteen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 24,974
Local Time: 04:57 AM
Paramount's highly anticipated "War of the Worlds" invaded 3,908 theaters Wednesday and grossed $21.3 million on its opening day in North America. Day 1 for "War," directed by Steven Spielberg and starring Tom Cruise, proved to be the distributor's best opening day ever and the seventh-biggest Wednesday bow of all time.

"We are thrilled. It's an absolute home run for the studio. It's on the high side of what we were hoping for," Paramount president of distribution Wayne Lewellen said. "Because of Spielberg and Cruise's involvement in the film and the tremendous job of marketing and publicity, there was a tremendous amount of interest in the picture from the public -- and from all four demographic groups." Lewellen noted that 52% were younger than 25, and 54% were male.

Sony's "Spider-Man 2" holds the record for the biggest Wednesday opening of all time, with a staggering $40.4 million, followed by New Line Cinema's "The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King" with $34.5 million. It's also interesting to note that of all the Wednesday openings with grosses higher than "War," only Newmarket's "The Passion of the Christ" (sixth biggest with $23.6 million) was not a sequel.

As to Paramount's best bow, the distributor's previous biggest opening day was for "Lara Croft: Tomb Raider," which gleaned $18.1 million on a Friday in June 2001. And for a recent comparison, Warner Bros. Pictures' "Batman Begins" pulled in $15.1 million on its Wednesday opening just a few weeks ago, and that included grosses from midnight shows. Lewellen noted that "War" didn't have midnight shows.
__________________
MrsSpringsteen is offline  
Old 07-01-2005, 07:24 AM   #55
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
U2@NYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Back in Buenos Aires
Posts: 4,281
Local Time: 04:57 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen
what about Schindler's List?
Schindler's List is one of the best movies ever made.
__________________
U2@NYC is offline  
Old 07-01-2005, 07:25 AM   #56
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
U2@NYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Back in Buenos Aires
Posts: 4,281
Local Time: 04:57 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen
Paramount's highly anticipated "War of the Worlds" invaded 3,908 theaters Wednesday and grossed $21.3 million on its opening day in North America. Day 1 for "War," directed by Steven Spielberg and starring Tom Cruise, proved to be the distributor's best opening day ever and the seventh-biggest Wednesday bow of all time.

"We are thrilled. It's an absolute home run for the studio. It's on the high side of what we were hoping for," Paramount president of distribution Wayne Lewellen said. "Because of Spielberg and Cruise's involvement in the film and the tremendous job of marketing and publicity, there was a tremendous amount of interest in the picture from the public -- and from all four demographic groups." Lewellen noted that 52% were younger than 25, and 54% were male.

Sony's "Spider-Man 2" holds the record for the biggest Wednesday opening of all time, with a staggering $40.4 million, followed by New Line Cinema's "The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King" with $34.5 million. It's also interesting to note that of all the Wednesday openings with grosses higher than "War," only Newmarket's "The Passion of the Christ" (sixth biggest with $23.6 million) was not a sequel.

As to Paramount's best bow, the distributor's previous biggest opening day was for "Lara Croft: Tomb Raider," which gleaned $18.1 million on a Friday in June 2001. And for a recent comparison, Warner Bros. Pictures' "Batman Begins" pulled in $15.1 million on its Wednesday opening just a few weeks ago, and that included grosses from midnight shows. Lewellen noted that "War" didn't have midnight shows.
I guess the petition is not doing much...
__________________
U2@NYC is offline  
Old 07-01-2005, 10:14 AM   #57
Blue Crack Addict
 
U2Girl1978's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: At the altar of the dark star
Posts: 19,374
Local Time: 05:57 AM
The movie has made 21 million so far.
__________________
U2Girl1978 is offline  
Old 07-01-2005, 10:52 AM   #58
Blue Crack Addict
 
phanan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: in the darkness on the edge of town
Posts: 25,060
Local Time: 04:57 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by PhunkPhorce
I haven't seen War of the Worlds yet, but have a question about Spielberg. I think his greatest achievemnts were Jaws and Indiana Jones trilogy. After that (meaning since 1989) all his movies are just OK at best. "A.I." is an exception, but mostly thanks to Stanley Kubrick's "spirit".

What do you think?
I think quite a few people enjoyed the original Jurassic Park as well.

And for me personally, the first film he did with Cruise, Minority Report, was excellent.
__________________
phanan is offline  
Old 07-01-2005, 11:16 AM   #59
Blue Crack Addict
 
deep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: A far distance down.
Posts: 28,501
Local Time: 01:57 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen
I'd give it 2 or 2 1/2 stars. Very impressive technical achievement, but it's just not what I've come to expect from Steven Spielberg. To me he is a storyteller w/ that rare quality of subtlety, and this has no subtlety whatsoever-and very little story.

Dakota Fanning is one fine actress, and I thought Tom did a decent job.

One thing I have to say-this movie is NOT appropriate for kids. There were two kids in front of me who looked about 7 or 8..they were terrified and the parents eventually left. It took them long enough. I don't understand why people don't read up on the content of these movies. It should be rated R.

People had strange reactions to it-the scene where Dakota goes to the river and sees what she sees, people were laughing Maybe it's that situation where people laugh because they're so unnerved and uncomfortable.

i pretty much agree with most of this


not for children


and i would call it nervous laughter
__________________
deep is offline  
Old 07-01-2005, 11:22 AM   #60
Blue Crack Addict
 
deep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: A far distance down.
Posts: 28,501
Local Time: 01:57 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2Girl1978
I think TC exerted some sort of control over the movie and SS to be honest. Do you think I'm wrong?

yes, very wrong


maybe h. g . wells did


Quote:
The film's second half is weaker because the aliens have to compete for screen time with Los Angeles mob scenes, a showy and irksome display of American military hardware, and dry narration of military war tactics. But even in this second half, suspense filters through, as we watch the heartless "swans" eject their heat rays on a helpless Los Angeles.



This movie is very close to




This "War of the Worlds"


Am I the only one that has seen this movie?
__________________

__________________
deep is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:57 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com