want to expand my music choices

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2girl91289

War Child
I feel like my music tastes are somewhat restricted. Good maybe, b/c i listen to u2, but restricted to U2, coldplay, the beatles and eric clapton, who i have only heard a few of his songs. So far, I don't really like american music, i don't know why, maybe b/c i don't like american culture. What are some good, coldplay/u2ish british, irish or european alternative rock bands, not to be mixed with pop. I don't like pop.

So yeah, could someone please suggest some british/irish/european alternative rock bands that are similar to, but not ripoffs or copies of U2? Thanks!

Last edited:
Radiohead :cool: But you either love them or hate them.
Echo & The Bunnymen are great.
Bjork
Muse
Pink Floyd
The Cure

They might be American, I dunno... but they are good. I generally don't like American music either, I don't like the sound of their accents singing...

The Smiths
The Cure
Radiohead
Travis
Doves
Idlewild

I used to feel the same way about 'American' bands. I realized I just wasnt looking in the right places for music. MTV or the radio are rarely going to introduce you to a good band.

Last edited:
Interpol
Elbow
Super Furry Animals :D
Pulp
Doves
Muse
Placebo
Travis
Maniac Street Preachers
Blur

ice said:
nirvana ^^

he asked for REAL bands, not for glorified-to-the-top, over-exposed, over-rated crappy bands

yeah, you heard (read) me !:madspit:

Not exactly european
all i got for you that's new (well, they split up in 97) and amazing is a Japanese (rock and roll at its best) band called X JAPAN

just go an download Tears (10:30 min) if you want to cry, or Rusty Nail or Dahlia you wanna rock

you can't go wrong with them ;)

Last edited:
I feel the same way about "american" bands. Maybe it's just the accent as alexvilagosh said. In fact REM are my only american favourite.

So you might like REM, Doves (i recently been listening to them alot), Police and the Cure.

u2girl9, I have to clear something up.

U2 is a pop band...so is coldplay

there is nothing wrong with pop music.

now...let me see

get Beck's newest album "Sea Change"
it's very mellow, but it's very nice

Grandaddy - Sumday
this is some pretty catchy stuff!!

the shins - Chutes too Narrow
Ours - Distorted Lullabies
Radiohead - the Bends (this is their most accesible album and prolly what you're looking for)

I gotta a feeling you would like those bands

but I dunno

Bush. Sorry, I cant help it.
Also look into Radiohead. There'd be many willing to help you in this dept. When you say pop, do you mean Robbie Williams type pop or Blur type pop? Blur are great, but you probably know a lot of theirs already.

Ok, i'm just copying and pasting my 'besides u2 what do you listen to' reply...it essentially meets the criteria you were looking for. Yes, I'm lazy. There are some American ones in here, but good ones you should check out anyway. :)

Doves, Starsailor, Elbow, Mojave 3, Neil Halstead, Slowdive, Nick Drake, Neil Young, Bob Dylan, the Delgados, Beth Orton, Ed Harcourt, Idlewild, the Verve, Super Furry Animals, Bell x1, Damien Rice, Snow Patrol, the Charlatans, the Frames, Mull Historical Society, South, Coldplay, REM, Radiohead, Over the Rhine, Ben Harper, Chemical Brothers, Cornerstones, I am Kloot, Ryan Adams, Jesse Malin, Joseph Arthur, Massive Attack, Melaton, Mercury Rev, Nada Surf, Reindeer Section, Stars, Buffseeds, David Kitt, ESP, My Morning Jacket, Oasis, Jeff Buckley, Morrissey, the Smiths, David Kitt, Royskopp, MSP, Spiritualized, Tom McRae, A Northern Chorus, Josh Rouse, Budapest, Sigur Ros...

pepokiss said:

Not exactly european
all i got for you that's new (well, they split up in 97) and amazing is a Japanese (rock and roll at its best) band called X JAPAN

just go an download Tears (10:30 min) if you want to cry, or Rusty Nail or Dahlia you wanna rock

you can't go wrong with them ;)

I love X-Japan (Yoshiki is one of the best drummers ever), but they aren't a band easy to listen... are they... metal? glam? pop? j-rock? j-pop?... they are not a very conventional band

anyway, they were a great and emotional band, with a tragical end

my favorite song: Crucify My Love :up:

Back
Top Bottom