Want To Bet Me *Anything* That Ottawa Wins The Stanley Cup?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:
OK, I guess I am on the Sinister bandwagon now (esp after being made a *true* honorary Canuck by Michael tonight

Well looks like it's me and you chizzer... Team Sinister, you going down hardcore.

I'm so disappointed Angel, I thought my opinion was vindication enough for your citizenship. The igloo will be extra cold tonight.

:sad:

cujo said:

It looks like there are two camps here at interference... chizzer and me with the Ducks, and the listener/sinister team of the Devils. Should prove interesting.

Hey, count me on the Ducks bandwagon. :wave:

Except I've cursed every team I rooted for, so maybe I should keep my big mouth shut.

Anyone see Giguere on Jay Leno tonight? Wow, he's hot. :drool:
(Sorry, I had to throw a puck bunny comment in)

cujo said:

Well looks like it's me and you chizzer... Team Sinister, you going down hardcore.

:madspit: BRING IT :madspit:

I'm so disappointed Angel, I thought my opinion was vindication enough for your citizenship. The igloo will be extra cold tonight.

:sad:

Well, like I told Michael the other night, I just can't bring myself to root for a team that has an accompanying cartoon show. It just isn't right! :shrug:

Anyway, I'm sure some Tim Horton's coffee might be well enough to warm your little igloo up, cujo. :sexywink:

Last edited:
AvsGirl41 said:

Hey, count me on the Ducks bandwagon. :wave:

Except I've cursed every team I rooted for, so maybe I should keep my big mouth shut.

Anyone see Giguere on Jay Leno tonight? Wow, he's hot. :drool:
(Sorry, I had to throw a puck bunny comment in)

OK, cool! Root for dem Ducks... Wait a minute, what am I saying? The same thing's happened to me this year. :|

I don't get the Giguere thing, Avs Girl. Now, Keith Carney... :hyper: :drool: :combust: Be still my beating heart! :macdevil:

*We now return you to our regularly scheduled arguing. :tongue:

I just can't bring myself to root for a team that has an accompanying cartoon show. It just isn't right!

but you can root for a team who's mascot is the symbol for all that is evil and wrong in this world?

_38370263_mickey_150.jpg

Chizip, that smile just won't go away. It's in this thread, it's in that thread, it's everywhere!!! You are the evil one. It's not the Devils, it's you. It's that face, that smile, that sparkle in that eye. It's a mouse that's not quite right, and that's you. I can't look at that anymore.

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:

OK, cool! Root for dem Ducks... Wait a minute, what am I saying? The same thing's happened to me this year. :|

I don't get the Giguere thing, Avs Girl. Now, Keith Carney... :hyper: :drool: :combust: Be still my beating heart! :macdevil:

LOL, to each her own! Keith Carney reminds me of someone I hate. :laugh:

I did have good luck rooting *against* Dallas, so maybe that's the secret... :eyebrow:

Last edited:
Bryan Marchment?... Keith Carney.

The resemblance is uncarney.

hahahaha... hehehe... :eyebrow:

cujo said:
Bryan Marchment?... Keith Carney.

The resemblance is uncarney.

hahahaha... hehehe... :eyebrow:

:laugh:

Actually, I can't remember who he reminds me of. My shit list is so long, you know. :evil:

He kind of looks like Scott Gomez to me.

No miracles left
Senators stellar season over with sickening abruptness

By WAYNE SCANLAN
The Ottawa Citizen

http://faceoff.com/scripts/news/printer.asp?f=/news/20030524/271430.html

I-030524ottawaHockey1-1.jpg

Ottawa Senators' Karel Rachunek slumps on the ice as Chris Phillips, far left, Curtis Leschyshyn, Anton Volchenkov, and Zdeno Chara react to last night's 3-2 loss to New Jersey in Game 7 at the Corel Centre.

They stood and cheered their heroes before they were on the scene.

They stood and saluted them on their way off the ice.

An emotional farewell to a terrific season by the Ottawa Senators, a season that fell short, by a single goal in a single game, of being a Stanley Cup kind of season.

The end, when it comes in playoff hockey, can be sickeningly abrupt. And so it was when the Senators fell 3-2 to the New Jersey Devils in Game 7 of the Eastern Conference final.

This game was there for the Senators, who poured in the Devils zone at will for most of the third period.

"We felt like we had all the momentum," said Game 6 overtime hero Chris Phillips, in a voice barely above a whisper.

"It seemed like just a matter of time before it would go in, a matter of who was going to be the hero for us.

"We were in shock when the puck went in.... I'm still in shock."

A sneaky, deadly goal by the Devils in the final two-plus minutes, stunned a Corel Centre crowd that had grown to believe a series comeback from 3-1 was inevitable.

It was a simple breakout by the Devils.

On a routine 2-on-2 play, Jeff Friesen took a pass from Grant Marshall and slipped a shot past goaltender Patrick Lalime with two minutes 14 seconds left in the third period. The goal was eerily similar to Ottawa's overtime goal in Game 6, when two Devils went after Marian Hossa and left the front of the net empty for Phillips to bang home the winner.

Last night, two Ottawa players leaned toward Marshall and Friesen was left alone.

Lalime had already stopped Patrik Elias and Scott Gomez on breakaways.

A third chance in alone was one too many.

"It's part of sport," said Ottawa head coach Jacques Martin. "It's part of learning. It's a game of mistakes ... a lost opportunity for sure."

All the heart and hustle in the world couldn't save the Senators in a game that broke a lot of Canadian hearts.

A Canadian club has not reached the Cup final since Vancouver in 1994.

The Devils did it without veteran centre Joe Nieuwendyk, their best player in Game 6. Nieuwendyk managed less than two minutes of play in the first period before his injured knee gave out.

New Jersey had a bus break down yesterday and two of their trainers were involved in a car accident, but they dodged all kinds of trouble in this game.

The Devils will meet the Anaheim Mighty Ducks in a series that begins Tuesday in New Jersey.

Ottawa will have to settle for a landmark season by the Senators and a bright future, with billionaire Biovail mogul Eugene Melnyk poised to become the next owner of the club.

Last night, the incoming owner was spotted sitting next to the outgoing Prime Minister, Jean Chretien.

With the Corel Centre crowd on its feet five minutes before the anthems, the Senators fed off the buzz to put together a perfect first 10 minutes.

They controlled the play and got the first goal, usually a tip as to the eventual game winner.

Magnus Arvedson, still looking for his first goal of the playoffs, found it when he took a pass from Martin Havlat, drove inside the faceoff circle and beat Martin Brodeur with a high shot to the stick side.

This was at 3:33 of the first period and turned the building into a Kanata lake of white, waving towels.

The Devils carried some momentum into the second period, when a harmless looking shot by Jamie Langenbrunner deflected of the skate of Ottawa defenceman Anton Volchenkov and slipped between the pads of Lalime.

It was Langenbrunner's eighth goal of the playoffs, but his first of the series, and he wasn't done yet.

Less than two minutes later, Langenbrunner, a former Peterborough Pete and a Cup winner with Dallas, ripped a high shot over Lalime's right shoulder.

The shock of New Jersey's first goal was overcome by a new shock that Ottawa had surrendered its lead.

A third period goal by Radek Bonk tied the game in the third period and then, as thoughts turned to the approaching sudden death overtime, Friesen struck.

A tough end to a day that was soaked with anticipation. Throughout the region, throughout the day, people were wired for this game. Work was optional, or so it seemed. World news, an afterthought.

In schoolyards, on street corners, at post offices and banks, men, women and children spoke about almost nothing else.

The town was painted red, and black and white - from a sea of signs, flags and team sweaters.

Schools held Senator parties for children as young as kindergarten age.

A group of boy scouts got permission to bring a 14-inch TV set, complete with rabbit ears, to an overnight camping trip in Perth. Campfire songs gave way to Hockey Night In Canada.

Jim Rome got bumped, too. For a day, Sports Radio 1200 The Team hooked the syndicated radio star in the afternoon to offer all hockey pre-game programming all the time.

The game lived up to the hype. Intense. Fierce. Precious little to separate two fine teams, the one young and hungry and the other poised and experienced.

In the end, the difference was a small breakdown at a critical moment.

This time, no one will say the Senators lacked the heart or courage to get it done.

They will say they missed a heck of a shot at winning the Stanley Cup.

How can I take a face like that serioulsy? But come on, Chiz, even you must now admit that in order to come back from 3 games to 1 against a team like the Devils (who have Brodeur and the stingiest defensive system in the NHL), it's got to take some heart to get to the 18 minute mark of the 3rd period of the 7th game, tied, no? They played their hearts out for the last 3 games, and, really, it all came down to a lucky bounce (NJ's first goal went in off a defenseman's skate), so you can harldy say they have no heart. Even the biggest naysayers (Leaf fans and the Toronto media) are giving them credit. But to each his own I guess.

By the way, did you see the difference between the fan involvmment in Ottawa compared to NJ? Hey, a Canadian team actually can fill their building for every playoff game!!! Half the arena was empty for game 6 in NJ (and it was still half full with Sens fans!). Talk about sad.

ottawa has much more talent that new jersey

so what was the difference?

heart and desire

case closed

ottawa had all the momentum going into game 7, they were playing at home, they got the lead, joe nieuwendyk was out with an inury, everything was looking ottawa's way, but new jersey reched down into the cockles of their hearts and somehow dug out a well earned victory. more heart and guts, thats all there is to it, case closed.

and the experience excuse is piss poor. ottawa had plenty of opportunities to get experience the past few years but flushed their chances down the toilet. they have no one to blame for that but themselves.

Re: your last three posts...

1st post:

NJ caught a lucky break becuase Ottawa made a mental error. Karel Rachunek took the wrong man, ending up taking the same man that Redden was taking. This left Friesen unattended. It was a pure mental error that happened in the heat of the action. That's not about heart. Sorry, you don't have a case on that one.

2nd post:

Your post is using circular reasoning. Here's your basic argument (from your perspecitve):

1. Ottawa could use the lack of experience factor if they didn't have much

2. Ottawa had plenty of opportunity to gain experience, but they blew it each time

2. Ottawa can't use the lack of experience factor because they should have had some by now

3. Therefore, it is their fault for not having any experience

Conclusion: Therefore, forget my first premise. I've decided to backpedal. :wink:

LMFAO!!!

Last edited:
experience is soooooo important too huh?

lets see, the ducks beat the defending champs, and a recent champ in their first time in the playoffs

i guess anaheim just has more heart than ottawa to overcome the lack of experience

We weren't talking about the factors of the Ducks' series, were we? No, that's right, we were talking about the Devils/Sens series, yes. Every series has many different factors in determining the final outcome. I simply gave you the explanation behind the Sens/Devils one, nothing more. As for the Ducks, that's for another thread, but I'd be happy to analyze them, too, if you like.

I see you didn't counter any of my points from my last post, so I'll consider the case closed :wink: LMAO

i just debunked the myth the experience is a big factor, so that argument is bogus

and a better defensive system?

well that doesnt help when you are losing on the road in a game 7

you need heart to pull it out, and they did

so ha

case closed, filed, and finished

i think it's pretty clear i won this arguement, ill mark it up on the board

scorecard.GIF

You didn't counter my point that your argument as to why the Sens couldn't use the experience factor as an "excuse" was full of holes and circular. I guess that's because it's as plain as day that it was. Also, you changed your tune, initially saying that experience could be a factor (but not for the Sens you said) to saying that experience doesn't matter at all. You change directions faster than Mike Milbury!!! Ah, but that's what we've come to expect from you Chizer.

And, no, you did not debunk any "myth" that experience is a big factor. Ask any coach, any GM, any player, and they will all tell you how *big* a factor experience is. Why do you think teams constantly want to add as much experience to their linup as possible before the trading deadline? The Ducks are riddled with experienced vets, but you've failed to mention that. Who do you think knows more about this subject -- you, or NHL players and coaches? I'm thinkin' I'm sticking to the guys who do it for a living, myself :wink:

and who does ottawa have to blame for lack of experience? themselves

ha

case closed

Back
Top Bottom