Want To Bet Me *Anything* That Ottawa Wins The Stanley Cup?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Actually, my friend, I was very fair when the Canucks were leading 3-1, and i actually went out of my way to say they could very easily come back like they did against the Avalanche -- not once, but several times. That sounds like pretty fair rhetoric to me. But thanks for coming out :wink:

all your talk was, well they could come back (haha yeah right),but looking ahead i think we will easily beat anaheim, :blahblah:

maybe you shouldnt have assumed victory and looked ahead

:wave:

I was looking at "possibilities" like you did. You didn't seem too upset when you did the same thing. I never said, "Yeah right." I was always very serious, each and every time I brought up the comeback factor. I'm not a fool. I watched every game against Minny. I knew the Canucks were lucky to be leading by such a margin. It could have been 3-1 Minny at that point, which is why I was being serious in my "rhetoric".

The Kid gets ready for the impending battle...
200305204579919-F.jpg

We may never see another quite like him...

And the peasants rejoiced...

Well, you know what they say: perception is reality. Tell a kid the money came from the tooth fairy and for him, it did. If you think that's what I was "thinking," I'm not even going to bother defending myself. You've already got your mind set a certain way. :shrug:

spezza_quote340_243_10535247513847.jpg

Jason Spezza has become an instant spokesperson for the Sens after his Game 5 performance. (CP)

Another Spezza show in store for Game 6?

John Muckler on Spezza: "I remember the Oilers put Esa Tikkanen into the lineup in Philadelphia after the first game of the final (in 1985), after they'd lost (4-1). Glen Sather put him on a line with Wayne Gretzky. It worked."

(posted May. 21, 9:46AM EDT)
OTTAWA -- When he finally got the call to play for the Ottawa Senators in the playoffs, Jason Spezza expected to do well.

But even the 19-year-old prodigy from Toronto was excited about his first NHL post-season game, in which he helped Ottawa stave off elimination from the Eastern Conference final by the New Jersey Devils with a goal and an assist.

The Senators must win the sixth game of the best-of-seven series on Wednesday night in New Jersey to force a Game 7 on Friday night back in Ottawa.

?I always try to execute under pressure,? Spezza said Tuesday, still buzzing from being named first star in the Senators' 3-1 victory in Game 5 the night before.

?I have high expectations of myself. I'm going to try to be that way because that's what you need to be successful at any level.

?It's still a game, regardless of what stage it's on or who you're playing against,? he added. ?That's the outlook I try to have.

?It's the same game since I started playing, but obviously, it's a little more competitive than our old backyard games.?

Much is expected from Spezza, drafted second overall by Ottawa in 2001 after starring for Mississauga in the Ontario Hockey League.

But after splitting the season between Ottawa and Binghamton of the AHL, coach Jacques Martin was loathe to throw the rookie into the playoff pressure cooker, ignoring repeated pleas from the local media and fans on the radio talk shows.

But with his power play at 0-for-15 going into what could have been the Sens' final game of the season, Martin took a chance on Spezza, if only for what his playmaking may produce with the man advantage.

It worked, as Spezza, who drew cheers from the sellout crowd of 18,500 for each of his 16 shifts, scored the team's first power-play goal of the series in the third period.

?It's something you dream about,? Spezza, a lanky six-foot-two centre who seems to wear a constant grin, told a horde of reporters around his locker-room stall. ?My parents were here and that's great.

?But now it's a new day. It's important to move on. Hopefully we can keep winning, whether I contribute or not. Winning is the fun part and that's what we'll try to do in Game 6.?

Ottawa seems to be gripped with Spezza-mania, but while his teammates also praised him, they were quick to point out that the rest of the Senators deserved some credit as well.

?He played a big part in our win, but we had big contributions from everyone and that can't be overlooked,? said defenceman Custis Leschyshyn.

Spezza admitted he had trouble sleeping after his big night, even though his body was drained from playing his first game since a two-match stint in Binghamton in late April.

The Senators may need him fresh for their second do-or-die game against New Jersey, particularly with star right-winger Marian Hossa playing hurt.

Hossa skated with the team on Tuesday morning after having to leave Game 5 for 10 minutes in the first period with what he said was a bruised knee. He had been clocked at the blue-line by Devils' defenceman Scott Stevens.

The Slovak winger returned to the game in the second period, but was used sparingly.

?The doctors said it was nothing serious,? said Hossa, who has yet to score in the series. ?I stretched it and I was ready to go in the second period.

?It's not as bad as I expected it to be (Monday) morning. I was able to skate on it.?

The Senators had received an inspirational speech from cancer-stricken assistant coach Roger Neilson before the game and then got the job done against the relentless checking and hitting of the more experienced Devils.

It will be much tougher in New Jersey, where the Devils are 8-0 in the playoffs this year and where the Senators are less likely to get the benevolent calls that gave them seven power plays in Game 5.

?Going home, we've got to play with the same desperation their team did,? said Devils veteran Joe Nieuwendyk. ?You could tell they wanted it more than us and that's unacceptable.?

Goaltender Martin Brodeur's wife Melanie reportedly filed a divorce complaint in a New Jersey court this week asking for custody of their fourldren and a share of their assets.

But stories in the media of his marital troubles and taunts from fans throughout the playoffs haven't bothered Brodeur thus far, as his 1.60 goals-against average would attest.

Brodeur, who has refused comment on his home life, called Game 5 ?the type of game we usually win, but they got the break.

?We let it slip away, but now we have two more chances.?

Much will depend on the play of the man in the Ottawa net, Patrick Lalime, who was hardly tested as New Jersey coasted through Game 5.

In the fourth game in New Jersey, he was bombed for five goals.

?Game 4, that's just something that happened,? said Lalime. ?We're not in a perfect world.

?It's something to bounce back from. We had a good game in Game 5 and that's something to build on.?

Big defenceman Zdeno Chara did not skate for Ottawa on Tuesday, but Martin said he would be ready to play on Wednesday.

you canadians tend to get prematurely excited about things. he's had 1 good game in the nhl and now he is the next gretzky.

Martin Brodeur's wife Melanie reportedly filed a divorce complaint in a New Jersey court this week asking for custody of their fourldren

actually its 4, but there was a typo that made it look like 14

jajajajajajaja, michael no habla espanol

Chizip: Adios Ottawa :wave:

Last edited:
I want to take spanish, so i can actually write it! French is the other language up here, but no one speaks it really, except for people in Quebec and out East. Actually, Saskatchewan surprisingly enough, has a lot of French speaking people from what I hear.

Back
Top Bottom