Want To Bet Me *Anything* That Ottawa Wins The Stanley Cup? - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-13-2003, 02:20 PM   #31
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 03:42 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by zonelistener
Gameday!

*Waves red and white flag with Maple Leaf on it
Oh Zony, you are very kind. I like America too, you know. I'm a big fan, actually. Diversity is awesome. And there's not only great diversity between our coutries, but aslo *within* them. To think we have two great countries side by side that are so different yet so alike. That's pretty cool, hey?

Old 05-13-2003, 02:33 PM   #32
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Last night, on The Score Scott Taylor compared this year's Senators team to the 85 Oilers and 79 Islanders, saying that they are the "team of the era" right now. Before you laugh at and dismiss this admittedly audacious notion, take a look at this article which basically says the same thing. Very interesting read...

Sens have raw materials for dynasty

http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/Toront.../13/85874.html

Tue, May 13, 2003

By MIKE ULMER

OTTAWA -- Canadians have long accepted the Edmonton Oilers as our final hockey dynasty.

The Maple Leafs and Montreal Canadiens rarely have seemed so removed from a Stanley Cup, let alone a series of them.

While the strong season turned in by the Vancouver Canucks is encouraging, Robson St. won't be seeing a parade soon.

This, Canadians are reminded, is a U.S.-based league, with players who would rather live in Phoenix or Philadelphia than Calgary or Edmonton. When the Oilers traded Wayne Gretzky to the Los Angeles Kings in 1988, Canada's fate as a producer but never a harvester of talent seemed assured.

I'm starting to wonder about that. They have something going here in Ottawa.

First, the disclaimer. It is, of course, ridiculously early to compare the Ottawa Senators with Wayne Gretzky and the Mark Messier-led Oilers clubs that captured five Stanley Cups from 1983 to 1990.

The Ottawa Senators are in their first conference final. They have won bupkus.

It has been said that teams such as the Oilers appear once a generation. Forget it. They happen, in the new parity-driven NHL, once in a lifetime.

Now, the trio of Cups won by the Detroit Red Wings over the past seven years makes them the hands down Hockeytown. Two makes the Colorado Avalanche a power.

But the Wings and Avalanche will be increasingly crippled by age. With a nod to Western Conference finalists Minnesota Wild and Anaheim Mighty Ducks and the surprisingly good Dallas Stars, there really is no Western team laden with brilliant young players.

Same thing in the East except, that is, in Ottawa.

The Senators never will be as good as the Oilers were. But neither will anyone else and Ottawa could get closer than virtually any other franchise.

The Senators have five defencemen, Zdeno Chara, Wade Redden, Chris Phillips, Anton Volchenkov and Karel Rachunek who are under 27 years old.

How good will this group be in two or three more years as they lock step into their most productive years?

Ottawa's best player, Marian Hossa, is 24. Martin Havlat, one of the league's most charismatic talents, is 22. Their goalie, 28-year-old Patrick Lalime, is entering his prime.

Jason Spezza, a former first overall choice with an absolutely brilliant offensive mind, is 19 and can't crack the Ottawa lineup.

The Senators are gaining enormous momentum as an organization.

Yes, they lost three consecutive playoffs to the Maple Leafs, but last year's team finished tied for 13th overall. This year the Sens finished first and have dispatched the New York Islanders and Philadelphia Flyers without really being tested. They will be pushed, of course, by the New Jersey Devils, but the Senators are a team poised to be among the league's elite. Ottawa's average age of 27.3 is a full three years younger than that of the Devils.

And the Senators now have one advantage the Oilers did not possess: A billionaire owner.

Peter Pocklington was a car dealer and entrepreneur whose hockey team stood out as his principal holding.

When business went bad elsewhere, he sold off assets, his players, beginning of course, with Gretzky.

To Eugene Melnyk, a pharmaceutical maven whose principal resident is the tax-friendly Barbados, the Senators are a hobby. It is, I have been assured, very difficult to blow more than $1 billion. Melnyk is 43, he will be around for a while.

Player salaries, the one factor that could unseat the Senators, now becomes a non-issue.

Melnyk doesn't have to bring free agents to Ottawa. He doesn't even necessarily need to keep the ones he has. But he can if he wants to and that radically changes the prospectus for the organization.

In a league bleeding red ink, the Ottawa Senators have a bargain-basement lineup. They possess the foremost collection of ready for prime time players in the league and they now have the means to keep their core intact for as long as they like.

They have a solid draft record and an enviable management group. They have tasted enough playoff failure to make it permanently unpalatable. They are vaulting toward the Stanley Cup final, if not this season, then very soon.

That sounds an awful lot like the raw materials for a dynasty to me.

Old 05-13-2003, 02:45 PM   #33
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:42 PM
Quote:
a team poised to be among the league's elite.
yes, maybe one day they can reach the Canuck's level, aint that right griffmeister?
Old 05-13-2003, 02:51 PM   #34
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Their are some remarkable similarities, you know. The Canucks are basically in the same position the Sens were in 3 or 4 years ago. They have two superstars, a couple stars, had a record breaking year, and were a point or two out of the division lead, and now have much needed playoff experience. If the core of the Canucks stays in tact -- and it will -- the future looks bright in Vancouver indeed.
Old 05-13-2003, 02:58 PM   #35
Blue Crack Addict

yes, they are both teams in Canada, that is a remarkable similiarity. Vancouver will never win a championship with Bertuzzi, mark it down, put it in the books, write it on the board, put it in your pipe and smoke it.
Old 05-13-2003, 03:05 PM   #36
Rock n' Roll Doggie

I guess you won't like the rumblings I've been hearing out of the Steve Tambellini inner circle then. I was going to mention it earlier, but it's hush hush, and you will most definitely not enjoy it. Let's just say it involves a certain two way offensive centre whom the Canucks are seeking.
Old 05-13-2003, 03:09 PM   #37
Blue Crack Addict

Rumors are like jokes. Everyone has a good laugh, but you'd be insane to base your life on what you hear.
Old 05-13-2003, 03:10 PM   #38
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Can you take a guess at the punch line?
Old 05-13-2003, 03:10 PM   #39
Blue Crack Addict

a senor federov?

rumors are like seagulls, once they start to fly they get crap on everybody
Old 05-13-2003, 03:12 PM   #40
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Which is why you'll be singing the Blues if this one comes true!

And no, not Fedorov. Wrong team. You're waaay too red right now, way too red. Hint: go toward the other end of the spectrum.
Old 05-13-2003, 03:15 PM   #41
Blue Crack Addict

ok who?
Old 05-13-2003, 03:24 PM   #42
Rock n' Roll Doggie

It's much closer to the little place that rests oh so softly in your heart of hearts. Once could say, that place where wonderous arches bestow your hopes...and dreams...
Old 05-13-2003, 03:26 PM   #43
Blue Crack Addict

its not arches mikey, its the arch, there is only 1

youve made this mistkae before, as have other people, and i have let it slide, but now i wont, its called the arch, not the arches

and if you are talking about doug weight you are a fool
Old 05-13-2003, 03:31 PM   #44
Rock n' Roll Doggie

I didn't say it was called "the arches". I know that it's called The Arch! I was simply referring to each side that comes down. Just a figure of speech.

As for your guess, I can neither confirm nor deny that. We will all see, like the "arch" that comes down from heaven and lands squarely at GM Place.
Old 05-13-2003, 03:35 PM   #45
Blue Crack Addict

he is the one guy the blues would not trade, he is the only guy who showed up in the playoffs last year

if anyone is gonna be traded it's tkachuk or demitra, so dont get your hopes up

and you dont really have anything that we would want anyway, so this is one of the most foolish things ive heard in a while