Want To Bet Me *Anything* That Ottawa Wins The Stanley Cup? - Page 18 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-25-2003, 03:47 AM   #256
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 04:15 AM
I agree... it is taking the easy way out. I honestly can't give you a good reason why they lose... they just bloody well do. I think it is safe to call them chokers, if they are expected to win the East almost every season... like Philadelphia. The Choker label is not something that is earned overnight, and I bet it does affect the mentality of the returning players future success.

Here's my challenge to Ottawa... win. Win so that I can't take the "easy" way out and call them chokers... but, by losing aren't they taking the "easy" way out? Maybe I'll gain a little courtesy, and maybe some sympathy for a team that loses to the Devils if they could for once win. Which is probably something you could even say about my namesake... although, I'd give you a royal kick in the ass if you did

Old 05-25-2003, 03:49 AM   #257
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 10:15 AM
Or even the Leafs in general for that matter. Oh, I'm sorry, that was too easy.

Old 05-25-2003, 04:00 AM   #258
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Fair enough. Let me ask you one thing though... do you base your opinion on watching the games? Or the same old bias Canuck fans have against the Leafs?

Touché

Case Closed.

I know what your answer will be, so you don't have to reply about how Toronto has no Cups to show for it. Take the OTT defensive breakdown and multiply that by 15... that's an average Leaf game.
Old 05-25-2003, 04:11 AM   #259
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Way too funny. A friend of mine is a Leafs fan, so yeah, I have seen quite a number of their games. And, yes, I am biased against them, I fully admit. They just don't provide the entertainment (for me) that the Canucks do (nor quite the win column). Bias aside, Vancouver is possibly the most exciting team in the league right now -- key word, being "exciting". I honestly think that brand of hockey will get them far in the playoffs and, yes, even to a Cup hopefully. But I digress...

Re: Toronto having no cups to show for it...actually, they do have quite a lot of Cups (which I know you know)...it's just that they haven't had one in, what, 36 years? Since the modern Sens have only been in the NHL for around 10 or 12 years, I'd hardly be all over them, especially since they haven't even had the budget nor the market the Leafs have had. I think what they've done is quite remarkable, when you think about it. Hey, 3 rounds, and 1 goal shy of the Stanley Cup final isn't anything to be ashamed of in my books.
Old 05-25-2003, 04:16 AM   #260
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Not at all shameful... but wasting an opportunity to win when you have a team that "on paper" is capable of doing it is shameful.

PS- the most exciting games I've ever seen were between Toronto and Vancouver... 6-5 scores quite often. Both teams are offensive in their philosophy, and I don't think you can label Toronto as a boring team. It just so happens that they play in a Conference notorious for trapping and tight defense. Lest you forget, TO was a Western team 6 years ago... and that character hasn't left them yet. That's why I've been lobbying for a TO, DET final for the past 6 years...

Toronto hasn't won a cup since 1967... so when I say "no cups to show for it", I mean in the present day game. 11 cups mean nothing if they all happened 36 years ago (sheesh, Curtis was born the summer they last won... maybe he is the curse?)

I know some hopeless Leaf fan out there will cling to that explanation.
Old 05-25-2003, 04:26 AM   #261
Rock n' Roll Doggie

You know what though, look at the many teams that became powerhouses, and a close look at their histories will show you the Sens are really no different. Even Detroit had to go through many growing pains in the early to mid 90s before they finally won, and they pretty much became the modern dynasty (if there is such a thing) of the NHL. Same with Colorado. As the Nordiques, they finally came together just before they left Quebec...but it took a while. I mean, even go back to the Oilers of the early 80s. They had all the talent, but "choked" each year in the playoffs, despite having stunning regular season success. In '83, they met the Islanders, and having torn through the rest of the league, with Gretzky setting a new playoff scoring point total record in the process, they bow out to the Isles in 4 straight, and Gretzky was totally shut out by Billy Smith and co. They were labelled as "chokers" as well. But then look what happened with these afformentioned teams. They went on to be great. I think it's better to have a team that *almost* makes it but doesn't than a team that doesn't make it far at all. Anyway, just thoughts to ponder.
Old 05-25-2003, 04:29 AM   #262
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Pondered I did. I grew up in Edmonton during the dynasty... maybe Ottawa will win one day, but I don't see them winning 5 Cups in a decade.

I see some of the parallels, but the league is too strong to have consumate chokers rise from the ashes to build a franchise. Win now, or you may never win at all... clichés are fun.
Old 05-25-2003, 04:31 AM   #263
Rock n' Roll Doggie

How old were you when Wayne played in Edmonton? I think I asked you this before.
Old 05-25-2003, 04:40 AM   #264
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by Michael Griffiths
How old were you when Wayne played in Edmonton? I think I asked you this before.
That's classified. But being a premium member I'm sure you'll have ways to determine it...

Actually, I was in Edmonton from '86-'90... but I was little at the time (3-7). I only remember the later years... you know, because of my drinking habits
Old 05-25-2003, 04:45 AM   #265
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Holy crap, Cujo - you're 7 years younger than me! (My math is horrible, but you're 19 by the looks of things.) I'm shocked and ashamed. Don't ask me why. I thought you were like 30 or something (no offense). Anyway, so you don't remember Wayne in his prime? I'd say the last year of his prime was '93, even though his last scoring title was in '94. Any memories?
Old 05-25-2003, 04:49 AM   #266
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I remember his "tears" leaving Edmonton. Not much of his playing days though.

Thanks for calling me 30, I get that a lot. Maybe it's a compliment, or maybe I'm the oldest 19 year old in the world. Most likely the latter... I like to keep the illusion that I'm older. Get more respect that way...

haha... respect you say? I know, I don't get much... or deserve it either.
Old 05-25-2003, 04:54 AM   #267
Rock n' Roll Doggie

haha, so you never had the pleasure of watching Wayne "in the moment" when he still had the magic? Really, Cuj, I'm not just saying this, as you're such a fan of the sport, but I want you to know it saddens me you missed out on watching him in his prime. I mean, words can't describe the things he could somehow do night in and night out on the ice. It was litterally a different sport when he was on the ice. Magic, I tell you, magic...I want to get some old taped games...that woud be cool. Did you watch the 91 Canada Cup?
Old 05-25-2003, 04:58 AM   #268
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I've lived in a lot of championship cities... it's too bad I got into sports a lot later.

Believe me though, I've seen lot's of old Gretz stuff...
Old 05-25-2003, 04:59 AM   #269
Rock n' Roll Doggie

It's just not the same unless it's live. Trust me on this.
Old 05-25-2003, 05:04 AM   #270
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by Michael Griffiths
It's just not the same unless it's live. Trust me on this.
Why would I not trust you? Why would I not trust the Sinister of Heritage?

I've heard lot's of stories. I didn't watch the 91 Canada Cup... I was still not quite into hockey then.