Wank, Bavaria Superthread - Page 58 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-27-2008, 01:44 PM   #856
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 09:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfan26 View Post
But how long had you been together?

I don't literally mean "no one" but it's rare that people know what they're doing. And you can usually tell whether they're prepared or not.

Maybe I'm a bit cynical about it: of my parents' only siblings to get married that young, 2 of 3 ended in messy divorces.
Yeah, I've got to admit I'm cynical too. I certainly believe it can happen and work, but more often than not, it's a spectacular failure. Of my own family (first age given is that of the male):

- Parents married at 24 and 21. Now divorced, live on opposite sides of the Tasman Sea.
- Maternal grandparents married at 20 and 18. Now divorced, live on opposite sides of the Tasman Sea.
- Paternal grandparents married at 20 and 24. Grandpa died in February, two months short of their 53rd wedding anniversary.

Of my three uncles and two aunts, the only relationship that has lasted is the aforementioned de facto couple, though to be fair two of my uncles are mentally disabled.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 06-27-2008, 01:44 PM   #857
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
That's quite helpful, although I disagree with a few of their choices. Wire?
Yeah, it's not perfect, but it's a good synopsis.

Old 06-27-2008, 01:44 PM   #858
The Male

Local Time: 02:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwtape2 View Post
I don't think age matters that much.
Age itself doesn't matter, but the "not having any fucking clue what's going on" part does. You can be ill-fit for marriage at any age. If more folks knew that, divorce rates would be lower, hence Axver using that argument earlier.

Now.
Old 06-27-2008, 01:45 PM   #859
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
But how long had you been together?

I don't literally mean "no one" but it's rare that people know what they're doing. And you can usually tell whether they're prepared or not.

Maybe I'm a bit cynical about it: of my parents' only siblings to get married that young, 2 of 3 ended in messy divorces.
We met freshman year in college.
Old 06-27-2008, 01:46 PM   #860
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212 View Post
I couldn't believe I saw U2 on a few lists
I can see Boy being on there.
Old 06-27-2008, 01:47 PM   #861
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by phanan View Post
I can see Boy being on there.

What do you think of Street Mission?
Old 06-27-2008, 01:47 PM   #862
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Quote:
Age itself doesn't matter, but the "not having any fucking clue what's going on" part does. You can be ill-fit for marriage at any age. If more folks knew that, divorce rates would be lower, hence Axver using that argument earlier.
That's why you have to be open and loving. Like I said tell them you will always care for and watch over them.
Old 06-27-2008, 01:47 PM   #863
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212 View Post
My parents were married at 19 and 21, and I think it could've worked. They were married for ten years before things fell apart, but I think that had a lot more to do with problems with my dad then the two of them ever falling out of love with each other, but I don't know.
Yeah, for my maternal grandparents, I sometimes wonder if they would still be together if Grandad hadn't been such a fucking moron. He would bet inordinate sums of money on horses. Nan told him enough was enough and if he didn't stop blowing all their money, she would leave him.

He didn't believe her. Biggest mistake he ever made.

"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 06-27-2008, 01:49 PM   #864
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwtape2 View Post
I don't think age matters that much. You should be open in a relationship and find the right guy/girl. Tell them you will always care for them and always be there for them. That's the main building block in a relationship.
I guarantee that there's a trend of divorces decreasing as you look at older ages. It's just the facts: maturity bodes well for a relationship's success, and age bodes well for maturity.

I mean, for every Phanan, how many underprepared people were there?
Old 06-27-2008, 01:49 PM   #865
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
Yeah, for my maternal grandparents, I sometimes wonder if they would still be together if Grandad hadn't been such a fucking moron. He would bet inordinate sums of money on horses. Nan told him enough was enough and if he didn't stop blowing all their money, she would leave him.

He didn't believe her. Biggest mistake he ever made.
Honestly, in my opinion, if they aren't the most important or one of the most important things in your life you probably shouldn't be together.
Old 06-27-2008, 01:53 PM   #866
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Yeah, exactly. A lot of people enter into stupid marriages at 40+, but I think it's safe to say that at about 20 or 21, less people have any fucking clue what's going on compared to those in their mid to late twenties. I remember when I was 17, I was told that the most dramatic changes in your own personality and life outlook take place around 18-21 and dismissed it with a quip of "I never change". But looking back on it now at the age of 21.5, I've changed shitloads and so have a good number of people I know. Getting married at the age of 20 just seems to be asking for trouble. You're still growing into who you are.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 06-27-2008, 01:55 PM   #867
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
This made me laugh. I don't know why.
Old 06-27-2008, 01:57 PM   #868
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
I guarantee that there's a trend of divorces decreasing as you look at older ages. It's just the facts: maturity bodes well for a relationship's success, and age bodes well for maturity.

You need to understand and flourish in love which comes when it is meant to. Not every relationship is meant to work but for two people to understand love and want to stay together you can succeed at any age.
Old 06-27-2008, 01:58 PM   #869
Vocal parasite

OK, it's 4am. I intended to go to bed about two hours ago but I'm starting to get into a habit of even 3am being normal. Have a good one, folks.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 06-27-2008, 01:59 PM   #870
The Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
You're still growing into who you are.

Now.

Tags
superthread