Wank, Bavaria Superthread - Page 57 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-27-2008, 01:31 PM   #841
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 12:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwtape2 View Post
Hey I'm not saying it works out but it is fairly common. I can sort of understand being in love in high school and wanting to start a life together by getting married though.
Oh, yeah, true. I'd say it's becoming uncommon here, but that is partly due to de facto relationships being more socially acceptable (and legally acknowledged) than over your way. Hell, my aunt and uncle aren't actually married, but because they're de facto, they have all the legal standing of a married couple, and have been together since high school (aforementioned uncle turned 50 this week). So a lot of people here will move in with their partner when they go off to university and essentially live like a couple, but not bother to get married until well into their twenties, assuming the relationship even lasts. Kate gave me the distinct impression this was socially unacceptable in many quarters of the US, and it was one of her prime arguments why we would not flat together at university.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 06-27-2008, 01:31 PM   #842
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:49 PM
No one has any fucking clue what's going on at age 20 or 21.

Old 06-27-2008, 01:32 PM   #843
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 05:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by phanan View Post
Ashley, I know you asked Khan for Retro Island suggestions previously, but if you didn't see this link to allmusic that I posted, you might want to check it out.

allmusic
Yeah, I went there first, made a list of bands that I liked, and double checked with her that they were New Wave. I'm almost done with my list now. I just need a couple more songs.

And a new copy of this one
Old 06-27-2008, 01:33 PM   #844
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
Oh, yeah, true. I'd say it's becoming uncommon here, but that is partly due to de facto relationships being more socially acceptable (and legally acknowledged) than over your way. Hell, my aunt and uncle aren't actually married, but because they're de facto, they have all the legal standing of a married couple, and have been together since high school (aforementioned uncle turned 50 this week). So a lot of people here will move in with their partner when they go off to university and essentially live like a couple, but not bother to get married until well into their twenties, assuming the relationship even lasts. Kate gave me the distinct impression this was socially unacceptable in many quarters of the US, and it was one of her prime arguments why we would not flat together at university.
Marriage is half religious, half legal here.

I think it's something that should be desired, just something that requires time and effort first. I mean, weddings and funerals are the two biggest gatherings of friends and families in your life, and ... well, yeah, you can tell the differences between those two things.
Old 06-27-2008, 01:34 PM   #845
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfan26 View Post
I was barely 23.
Old 06-27-2008, 01:36 PM   #846
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
I was barely 23.
But how long had you been together?

I don't literally mean "no one" but it's rare that people know what they're doing. And you can usually tell whether they're prepared or not.

Maybe I'm a bit cynical about it: of my parents' only siblings to get married that young, 2 of 3 ended in messy divorces.
Old 06-27-2008, 01:36 PM   #847
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 12:49 PM
Quote:
Yeah, and I think one of my friends is stunningly illustrating that right now. She's one of my longest friends and the only one actually engaged. She's about to turn 21. Last year, in about April, she met this guy and fell for him straight away. Head over heels. By June, he had proposed. She was still 19 at the time. They're getting married in November this year, I think.

She's rather busy now and I don't talk to her that much, maybe once a week. But almost every time, there seems to be some kind of argument or dispute or tension between her and her fiancee. I've noticed this pattern developing since about February. She is still absolutely convinced he's the one, etc., etc., but warning signs are going off everywhere for me. I've tried to say things delicately, but the hints haven't got through and I'm a bit nervous to say anything more overtly.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 06-27-2008, 01:37 PM   #848
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Quote:
Personally, I would want to be with a person and get married down the road. Why be apart because of social pressures? It is sort of romantic being two against the world.
Old 06-27-2008, 01:38 PM   #849
Blue Crack Supplier

My mother was 32 and my father was 27 when they were married. They'd been together for four years.
Old 06-27-2008, 01:38 PM   #850
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Quote:
Yeah, and I think one of my friends is stunningly illustrating that right now. She's one of my longest friends and the only one actually engaged. She's about to turn 21. Last year, in about April, she met this guy and fell for him straight away. Head over heels. By June, he had proposed. She was still 19 at the time. They're getting married in November this year, I think.

She's rather busy now and I don't talk to her that much, maybe once a week. But almost every time, there seems to be some kind of argument or dispute or tension between her and her fiancee. I've noticed this pattern developing since about February. She is still absolutely convinced he's the one, etc., etc., but warning signs are going off everywhere for me. I've tried to say things delicately, but the hints haven't got through and I'm a bit nervous to say anything more overtly.
That's rough. It is nice she has a friend like you though.
Old 06-27-2008, 01:38 PM   #851
The Male

Quote:
Ashley, I know you asked Khan for Retro Island suggestions previously, but if you didn't see this link to allmusic that I posted, you might want to check it out.

allmusic
That's quite helpful, although I disagree with a few of their choices. Wire?

Now.
Old 06-27-2008, 01:42 PM   #852
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
I don't think age matters that much. You should be open in a relationship and find the right guy/girl. Tell them you will always care for them and always be there for them. That's the main building block in a relationship.
Old 06-27-2008, 01:43 PM   #853
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
That's quite helpful, although I disagree with a few of their choices. Wire?
I couldn't believe I saw U2 on a few lists
Old 06-27-2008, 01:44 PM   #854
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
But how long had you been together?

I don't literally mean "no one" but it's rare that people know what they're doing. And you can usually tell whether they're prepared or not.

Maybe I'm a bit cynical about it: of my parents' only siblings to get married that young, 2 of 3 ended in messy divorces.
My parents were married at 19 and 21, and I think it could've worked. They were married for ten years before things fell apart, but I think that had a lot more to do with problems with my dad then the two of them ever falling out of love with each other, but I don't know.
Old 06-27-2008, 01:44 PM   #855
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212 View Post
I couldn't believe I saw U2 on a few lists
Really? The Ocean is totally new wave.

Tags
superthread