Wanglik, Guangdong Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've honestly no idea who Richard Thompson is. What sort of music are we talking about here?

He's classified under British folk. This particular record sounds considerably more contemporary than that, but is entirely downbeat. It was recorded with his wife (who has a killer voice) during their divorce, and reflects this.

He's classified under British folk. This particular record sounds considerably more contemporary than that, but is entirely downbeat. It was recorded with his wife (who has a killer voice) during their divorce, and reflects this.

Oh, that sounds pretty intense. By British folk, are we talking along the lines of Nick Drake?

Oh, that sounds pretty intense. By British folk, are we talking along the lines of Nick Drake?

No, actually, this record sounds like a more stripped-down REM. Melodic folk, with dark lyrics. As a matter of fact, REM covered one of the songs for a tribute album.

I mostly just picked it out because it's high up on rateyourmusic's all-time albums list, but I was pleasantly surprised. Good stuff.

No, actually, this record sounds like a more stripped-down REM. Melodic folk, with dark lyrics. As a matter of fact, REM covered one of the songs for a tribute album.

I mostly just picked it out because it's high up on rateyourmusic's all-time albums list, but I was pleasantly surprised. Good stuff.

I'm sufficiently intrigued that I think I'd like to check it out too. Hint, hint. :wink:

PS Thanks for Five Leaves Left. Will give it a listen tomorrow.

I'm sufficiently intrigued that I think I'd like to check it out too. Hint, hint. :wink:

PS Thanks for Five Leaves Left. Will give it a listen tomorrow.

Hope you like Leaves; I can't see why you wouldn't. It's just like Pink Moon with more strings and general backing.

I'm going to try to convince my mother to let me go try to get tickets for The Dark Knight today.

Hope you like Leaves; I can't see why you wouldn't. It's just like Pink Moon with more strings and general backing.

Honestly, I expect not to like it immediately. Pink Moon did nothing for me on the first two listens. By the fifth, though, I was absolutely hooked. So it's certainly something I will play a few times and I look forward to it sinking in.

Honestly, I expect not to like it immediately. Pink Moon did nothing for me on the first two listens. By the fifth, though, I was absolutely hooked. So it's certainly something I will play a few times and I look forward to it sinking in.

It's more accessible than Pink Moon, but not by much. River Man is as dark and atmospheric as anything on Pink Moon.

If you're interested in Richard Thompson, here's a particularly great live video for now. It's better than the album version of the song, a little heavier and creepier:

YouTube - Richard Thompson - Shoot Out the Lights

YESSSSSSS.

There's shows at 3:40 and 4:10 about fifteen minutes from here. I'm heading over around 3:15 to try to buy a single ticket for either show at the door.

Yes, I'm going alone, but once the film starts, who the hell's going to care?

I'm trying to go ASAP because I'll be in New York next week. I want to see this before then.

Last night at my theatre of choice, 16 theatres were playing it at midnight... and 90% of all tickets sold out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom