Wanglik, Guangdong Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nah, I knew a lot of people that didn't like it. I didn't like it at first, either - but it caught me in. I actually got into it again a couple of years ago, finishing off the manga collection. Yeah, that's a little sad. But the story is actually pretty neat, really! And Akira Toriyama's artwork isn't all typical anime either, it was more Western inspired.

Digimon, oh I hated that at first, but... yes, I dug that for a while, too. Not for long, though. But there were a few Digimon that I still think had pretty cool character designs.

It just seemed kind of lame to me. Plus, I was never really into that stuff anyway. Pokemon for a bit, yeah, but if I'm honest, I had no friends for my first year in Australia and these two guys who included me were right into Pokemon, so I got into it as a way to belong, really. Went to a different high school to them and pretty much lost interest straight away.

So, yeah, I know very little of this stuff, but Digimon just struck me as a lame-arse Pokemon ripoff. For all I know, maybe it was first or something. But that's how I perceived it.

Nah, I knew a lot of people that didn't like it. I didn't like it at first, either - but it caught me in. I actually got into it again a couple of years ago, finishing off the manga collection. Yeah, that's a little sad. But the story is actually pretty neat, really! And Akira Toriyama's artwork isn't all typical anime either, it was more Western inspired.

Digimon, oh I hated that at first, but... yes, I dug that for a while, too. Not for long, though. But there were a few Digimon that I still think had pretty cool character designs.
He also did the artwork for the old school Nintendo game, that I fell in love with at the age of 5, Dragon Warrior (Or Quest, depending.) IV. :cute:

I still have that game. And a proper working Nintendo to play it.

It just seemed kind of lame to me. Plus, I was never really into that stuff anyway. Pokemon for a bit, yeah, but if I'm honest, I had no friends for my first year in Australia and these two guys who included me were right into Pokemon, so I got into it as a way to belong, really. Went to a different high school to them and pretty much lost interest straight away.

So, yeah, I know very little of this stuff, but Digimon just struck me as a lame-arse Pokemon ripoff. For all I know, maybe it was first or something. But that's how I perceived it.

Fair enough. Probably around high school people lost interest in it, anyway. :wink:

If I'm not mistaken, Pokemon and Digimon both were invented around a similar time, but in different parts of Japan. It's not that ridiculous of a coincidence if you knew what the Japanese were digging at that time. They weren't exactly similar, but since Digimon had the 'mon' at the end of its name, people bullshitted it immediately.

Never got into anything after that, though. Yu-gi-oh, what the hell. I got into U2 instead, then.

iTunes just updated.

Hope it still cooperates.

...damn you, Heath Ledger's Joker voice, Get out of my head!

Fuck you, early Verve, and your shoegazy tendencies.

:has just repeated Make It Till Monday more times than he cares to admit:

Never got into anything after that, though. Yu-gi-oh, what the hell. I got into U2 instead, then.
:lol:
I was still about 13 or 14 at the particular time, if memory serves. All my friends were into it, so I got into it. But it didn't even last. I used to draw from the cards but that was about it.

Fair enough. Probably around high school people lost interest in it, anyway. :wink:

If I'm not mistaken, Pokemon and Digimon both were invented around a similar time, but in different parts of Japan. It's not that ridiculous of a coincidence if you knew what the Japanese were digging at that time. They weren't exactly similar, but since Digimon had the 'mon' at the end of its name, people bullshitted it immediately.

Eh, in grade eight there were some people interested in it, but they weren't people I hung out with. My friends wanted to leech my copy of Age Of Empires and shit.

Ah, OK. And I never knew what the fuck Yu-Gi-Oh is beyond hearing its name.

Ah, OK. And I never knew what the fuck Yu-Gi-Oh is beyond hearing its name.
It was this dumb anime where these characters played each other using decks of cards to determine the fate of the world.
OH NOES, IF I LOSE THIS GAME, THE WORLD WILL SUCCUMB TO DARKNESS~

:laugh: It was fun to draw some of the more complex creatures though.

It was this dumb anime where these characters played each other using decks of cards to determine the fate of the world.
OH NOES, IF I LOSE THIS GAME, THE WORLD WILL SUCCUMB TO DARKNESS~

:laugh: It was fun to draw some of the more complex creatures though.

Decks ... of cards? To determine the fate of the world?

Oh dear.

Decks ... of cards? To determine the fate of the world?

Oh dear.

I know, right? That was what immediately put me off it.
I'm just like, what the fuck? Honestly. These teenagers battling with decks of cards and all teh dramas!!11 going on in the background.

The fact that card decks were involved immediately made me think it was clearly just some dumb ploy to sell a whole lot of trading cards.

Which it was.

I know, right? That was what immediately put me off it.
I'm just like, what the fuck? Honestly. These teenagers battling with decks of cards and all teh dramas!!11 going on in the background.

I now have visions in my head of a game of blackjack determining the fate of the world. "Oh noez, if I'm given anything over a seven, TEH WURLD WULL IND." :laugh:

Also, it has a stupid name.

The fact that card decks were involved immediately made me think it was clearly just some dumb ploy to sell a whole lot of trading cards.

Which it was.

Yeah, they designed the cards after the decks of cards in the show and essentially, it was just a way to get people to buy them because you could pretty much see every card that existed in the show.
My brother was into it quite heavily back in 2003 or so. And so were all of my circle of friends. I was just like, "screw this" and stuck to what I knew, video games.

I now have visions in my head of a game of blackjack determining the fate of the world. "Oh noez, if I'm given anything over a seven, TEH WURLD WULL IND." :laugh:

Also, it has a stupid name.
:laugh: Pretty much!

And yeah, I can't say the name was the brightest thing about it, either. I like how the characters and the creatures were drawn though.
But then again, I am artist who is into the whole cartooning thing and I appreciate some good anime drawing.

:laugh: Pretty much!

And yeah, I can't say the name was the brightest thing about it, either. I like how the characters and the creatures were drawn though.
But then again, I am artist who is into the whole cartooning thing and I appreciate some good anime drawing.

How do creatures fit in with the whole world-will-end-from-a-card-game thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom