Wanglik, Guangdong Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's me taking an....arty....photo.

IMG_2156.jpg

:laugh:

I do like the shade of green, though. It's an attractive livery.

Yeah, it's silly. Did we really need two Telstra-named stadiums ANYWAY? Do we really need corporate naming of stadiums in the first place? Bleh.

And I like that livery, but I'm more keen on the new one they're introducing:

s640x480

(Yeah, poor shot; it was early on a dull morning and I only just got to the spot in time so I didn't even have a chance to figure out the best spot to capture it.)

Hmmmmmmmmmm. I'm not sure about mixing yellow and blue.

Orange and grey (wtf!)

I totally need to check the Kiwi railway communities more often. I just haven't bothered over the last few months.

Orange is cool, but ... grey? So the train blends in with the sky on the 363 dull days a year New Zealand has? Smart move. V/Line's introducing a lot of grey too. Twits.

Hmmmmmmmmmm. I'm not sure about mixing yellow and blue.

They're two of my favourite colours, so it goes down a treat for me.

Here's a view from the other end, complete with Telscum It'snotafuckingDome in the background for you.

s640x480

I totally need to check the Kiwi railway communities more often. I just haven't bothered over the last few months.

Orange is cool, but ... grey? So the train blends in with the sky on the 363 dull days a year New Zealand has? Smart move. V/Line's introducing a lot of grey too. Twits.

If I remember correctly, it's not a vibrant livery.

I'm surprised by it. When I first heard about them painting a plane in an Air NZ Holidays livery I thought it would be dreadful, but the shade of green comes across quite well on the plane, instead of in the shops.

I can't say I recall seeing it in shops, but I can imagine it wouldn't look so good. The plane's very attractive, though. I'm pretty sure I've seen it myself, presumably in Wellington, and it definitely makes a good impression up close.

My favourites remain the hyper-yellow Freedom Air planes, though.

If I remember correctly, it's not a vibrant livery.

Grey has that tendency. Occasionally, you can work grey well into a livery (See: International Orange on pretty much every Kiwi locomotive in the late eighties - and some still rock around in it, with the yellow nose, grey cab sides, and orange the rest of the way). But generally, it's drab and I honestly think it just makes things look rundown. Especially if you're going to whack it on locos from the 1970s that should have been retired about 5-10 years ago.

Ah, that's quite nice actually. I suppose the yellow is visibility related?

Yep. How's this for fucking stupid for you? At an unprotected level crossing in rural NSW (not sure if it was just one without boom gates or some hyper-rural completely unprotected crossing), five young guys got themselves killed by driving in front of an XPT motoring along at close to 160km/h. The XPTs once held the Aussie speed record at 193km/h (the 200km/h barrier has been passed now) and ran at up to 160km/h in regular service. Since the accident, though? Let's not make level crossings safer or remove them, oh no. Let's pander to fucking morons by NOT LETTING THE TRAINS RUN PAST 115KM/H.

Fucking DUMB.

Amusingly, the green one is an ex-Freedom Air plane.

Unfortunately, this is what has become of the Freedom Air fleet:

IMG_2042.jpg

This one was the one in the Looney Tunes / Movie World livery too.

Oh MAN, that's just sad. I've always liked the koru on the tail, but the rest of the plane really needs a splash of colour or ... well, anything to break up the white monotony.

Yep. How's this for fucking stupid for you? At an unprotected level crossing in rural NSW (not sure if it was just one without boom gates or some hyper-rural completely unprotected crossing), five young guys got themselves killed by driving in front of an XPT motoring along at close to 160km/h. The XPTs once held the Aussie speed record at 193km/h (the 200km/h barrier has been passed now) and ran at up to 160km/h in regular service. Since the accident, though? Let's not make level crossings safer or remove them, oh no. Let's pander to fucking morons by NOT LETTING THE TRAINS RUN PAST 115KM/H.

Fucking DUMB.

You're in bumfuck, nowhere. You can wait for the fucking train to go past.

Alas, you can make something idiot proof, but there will always be a better idiot.

IMG_2142.jpg

Here's some bastard's very nice private jet.

I want one.

Though if you could slice off the wings, give it some flanged wheels, and shave off whatever you need to shave off to make it fit the New Zealand loading gauge, that'd be even better.

Actually, you ever seen pictures of the US trains carrying parts of Boeing planes? That's some fucking impressive stuff, and I'm jealous of the US railways having a loading gauge generous enough to allow them to carry that stuff in the first place.

You're in bumfuck, nowhere. You can wait for the fucking train to go past.

Alas, you can make something idiot proof, but there will always be a better idiot.

Personally, I think the trains should run even faster. If you're dumb enough to try to beat a train, you deserve to get cleaned up. You obviously lack the basic common sense to be a fully functional member of society.

Oh MAN, that's just sad. I've always liked the koru on the tail, but the rest of the plane really needs a splash of colour or ... well, anything to break up the white monotony.

On the positive side, it was given a very basic repaint in anticipation of a new livery for Air New Zealand, although I understand plans for this are currently shelved. I don't know if it's cost or design related, but normally a new livery is rolled out with new ground signage, which was done by Air NZ in 2006 or so.

The fact that they're still preparing for a new livery is a positive sign, though.

Incidentally, here is the 'regular' livery, to compare to the stripped down, acoustic (wtf!) version.

IMG_2027.jpg

Looks like you just walked in on the genesis of a picspam! :lol:

And this is pretty much a replica of an earlier image I posted, but with the mildly more attractive EDI-refurbished Comengs rather than the Alstom ones.

s640x480

On the positive side, it was given a very basic repaint in anticipation of a new livery for Air New Zealand, although I understand plans for this are currently shelved. I don't know if it's cost or design related, but normally a new livery is rolled out with new ground signage, which was done by Air NZ in 2006 or so.

The fact that they're still preparing for a new livery is a positive sign, though.

Incidentally, here is the 'regular' livery, to compare to the stripped down, acoustic (wtf!) version.

Ah, well, that's good news then. I hope that if it's a dramatic redesign, they at least keep the koru. It'd be weird to not have that.

Ooh yes, the dashes on the side, of course. Not exactly much though, is it? And "stripped down, acoustic"? :laugh:

so, you guys are talking planes now instead of trains??

We've got both going.

Shame that the rail and air networks down here aren't integrated like you folks have over in Europe. If you're lucky, you can catch a commuter train to the airport, but that's only in Sydney or Brisbane, and it's not like the German ICE rocking up at Frankfurt Airport or whatever.

well, the train I take to school each day goes to Schiphol... and that's one train every 15 30 minutes :wink: so yea, we've good connections!

I want one.

Though if you could slice off the wings, give it some flanged wheels, and shave off whatever you need to shave off to make it fit the New Zealand loading gauge, that'd be even better.

Actually, you ever seen pictures of the US trains carrying parts of Boeing planes? That's some fucking impressive stuff, and I'm jealous of the US railways having a loading gauge generous enough to allow them to carry that stuff in the first place.

All well and good, but exactly how do you intend to do any overseas travel?

I've seen the Boeing trains, they're brilliant. Personally I'm more impressed by Airbus hauling huge A380 parts through little French villages though

All well and good, but exactly how do you intend to do any overseas travel?

I've seen the Boeing trains, they're brilliant. Personally I'm more impressed by Airbus hauling huge A380 parts through little French villages though

Hmm. How about making the wings retractable to fit in the railway loading gauge, but useful should I ever want to go elsewhere?

Oh, what's Airbus doing? Rail or road?

Ah, well, that's good news then. I hope that if it's a dramatic redesign, they at least keep the koru. It'd be weird to not have that.

Ooh yes, the dashes on the side, of course. Not exactly much though, is it? And "stripped down, acoustic"? :laugh:

I can't see them ever dumping the Koru.

If this was a possible option, I'd volunteer to pay for it myself:

phpvqdMN6.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom