Walk the Line - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-10-2005, 03:16 PM   #1
War Child

Local Time: 06:02 AM
Walk the Line

I am looking forward to this movie as a casual fan of The Man in Black and a fan of Joaquin Pheonix. I haven't heard any scuttlebut on wheter or not Cash fans are impressed with Phoenix's rendering or not.

Old 11-10-2005, 03:27 PM   #2
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:02 AM
I am going to try to see it the day it comes out. I love Joaquin Phoenix... I have known about Johnny Cash since I was a kid and my Mother would rave about him.

I think he and June had a true and real love story, hopefully that will show in the movie.

Old 11-10-2005, 05:52 PM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

from msn

There haven't yet been any Mr. Toad sightings, but Joaquin Phoenix appears to be having a ribbit-filled wild ride while stumping for "Walk the Line." The rehabbed actor, who is getting oodles of Oscar buzz for his spot-on performance as Johnny Cash, has been "acting very oddly" during his promotional duties, claims the New York Post.

"It seems like he is on the verge of a nervous breakdown," a source evidently steeped in psychology helpfully diagnoses for the paper.

Talk of trouble began at the film's L.A. premiere Thursday night, when Phoenix felt something funny hoppin' on his noggin during an interview with the Associated Press.

"Do I have a large frog in my hair?" he asked the reporter, who assured him his coif was amphibian-free. "Something's crawling out of my scalp," the star explained.

Despite the journalist's assertion that he "looked great," Joaquin wasn't convinced: "No, but I feel it. I'm not worried about the looks. I'm worried about the sensation of my brain being eaten ... What did you ask me?"

Phoenix then turned to his publicist, whispered something and they both laughed, leading the reporter to conclude the actor was "just messing with" him, a sentiment echoed by the rep.

"I think a fly flew on his head," his spokeswoman clarifies to the Post. "I was standing right there and was laughing with him. He then went right back to the press line. He's doing interviews every damn day. And no, he's not having a nervous breakdown and is still sober. He's fantastic."

And what about reports that a fed-up Phoenix bailed out of some interview sessions last week, supposedly stating, "I can't do this" (co-star Reese Witherspoon, meanwhile, is said to have made it through her sit-downs despite a bout of sinusitis)?

"He was done and didn't want to do any more," says his mouthpiece. "I can't blame him -- he has been working like crazy. He has never done this much press."
Old 11-10-2005, 07:09 PM   #4
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 06:02 AM
the commercials i've seen and the preview thingy CMT did make it look like i really don't want to see this movie there's something that really bothered me about watching joaquim phoenix say "i'm johnny cash." really? you look/sound a lot more like elvis, to me.
Old 11-10-2005, 08:12 PM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

This movie looks sweet.
Old 11-11-2005, 07:08 PM   #6
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 10:02 AM
Looking forward in seeing this movie!
Old 11-12-2005, 12:53 AM   #7
Blue Crack Overdose
Get me off the internetz!

Local Time: 02:02 AM
I think I will wait for it to come out on DVD and rent it
Old 11-12-2005, 01:12 AM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

hope it's good, perhaps I will go watch it, havent been to the movies since i saw broken flowers which i absolutely loved. i also want to see shop girl, constant gardener, & the squid and the whale
Old 11-16-2005, 08:59 AM   #9
Blue Crack Addict

from pop candy

"The lowdown on 'Line'

Last night I saw a screening of Walk the Line, and I'm happy to report it's worth the price of admission. Joaquin Phoenix and Reese Witherspoon surpassed my expectations as Johnny and June Carter Cash, and the film manages to be entertaining, smart and true -- three qualities that rarely co-exist in one movie.

Unexpected pleasures included newcomer Waylon Payne's amusing performance as Jerry Lee Lewis and Phoenix's singing voice, which isn't as deep as Cash's (whose is?) but got my toes tapping nonetheless. I moved my feet so frequently during the movie, in fact, that they were kind of sore during the ride home.

As for Phoenix's Oscar chances, I expect he'll be nominated, but I'm unsure whether Jamie Foxx's win last year will handicap him. Cash and Ray Charles may have left two different legacies, but both musicians struggled with drugs and women, and in the eyes of Oscar voters, that may be reason enough to pick someone else.

Aside from Line's length (the 136 minutes could've been trimmed), my only big complaint about the flick involves its use of the title song. Walk the Line manages to omit my favorite line from, well, Walk the Line: "I find it very, very easy to be true." Something about those words makes me sigh every time I hear them. Of course, between Joaquin's sexy stare and Cash's thumping basslines, I suppose I was already sighing enough."

Rolling Stone review

http://www.rollingstone.com/reviews/...player=unknown
Old 11-16-2005, 05:20 PM   #10
Blue Crack Addict

Location: basking in my post-concert glow still mesmerized by the orbit of his hips..Also Holding Bono Close as he requested.
apparently friends of Johnny and June are praising the film.
Old 11-16-2005, 06:25 PM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

except their daughter, who complained saying they made her mom, June, look unsupportive and bitchy. She did at least praise the actors for their performances...
Old 11-16-2005, 07:03 PM   #12
Blue Crack Addict

i'll wait for it to come out on bit torrent
Old 11-17-2005, 12:27 AM   #13
Blue Crack Overdose
Get me off the internetz!

Nice performance U2 did of The Wanderer on CBS tonite
Old 11-17-2005, 12:29 AM   #14
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by elevation2u
except their daughter, who complained saying they made her mom, June, look unsupportive and bitchy. She did at least praise the actors for their performances...
I thought it was the daughter of Johnny's first wife (don't know her name, sorry) that was complaining about the way her mother was portrayed, not June.

Or is there another daughter complaining?

Regardless, I think this will be one of the few movies I'll get off my ass and actually go see in the theater.
Old 11-17-2005, 11:00 AM   #15
Blue Crack Addict

no it's not June

Kathy Cash, one of Johnny Cash's five children, was so upset about how her mother is portrayed in the upcoming movie "Walk the Line" that she walked out of a family-only screening — five times.

She thinks the movie, which opens nationwide Nov. 18, is good and that performances by Joaquin Phoenix as her dad and Reese Witherspoon as her stepmother, June Carter Cash, are Oscar-worthy.

But she also said the film unfairly shows her mother, Vivian Liberto Distin, Johnny Cash's first wife, as a shrew. Actress Ginnifer Goodwin plays her in the movie.

"My mom was basically a nonentity in the entire film except for the mad little psycho who hated his career. That's not true. She loved his career and was proud of him until he started taking drugs and stopped coming home," Kathy Cash said.

Vivian Liberto Distin died earlier this year as a result of complications from lung cancer. She and Cash were married 13 years and had four children together. He pledged to remain faithful to her in his song "I Walk the Line."

Kathy Cash also said the movie fails to include any meaningful scenes with the children or show the pain she and her three sisters endured during their father's fight with drugs and their parents' divorce. She says it portrays Johnny Cash's father too negatively.

"Anyone who wants a good sex, drugs and rock 'n' roll movie is gonna love it," she said. "I'm anticipating dyed-in-the-wool fans objecting to a lot of stuff."

John Carter Cash — Johnny and June's only child together and an executive producer for "Walk the Line" — says his half-sister's criticisms have merit. But he says it's OK to take some license and that, in the bigger picture, the movie succeeds in telling his parents' love story.

"I'm compassionately understanding," he said, adding, "the point of the film is my parents' love affair."