Wake Island, USA Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
K Rudd is better than some of our predecessors.
they are keen to be seen to be doing something at the moment as australia is after a seat in the security council.

however it has taken till 2 weeks ago to sign the protocol on indigenous peoples and last year to sign the protocol on people with disabilities.

Don't even get me started on some of the stuff in the 1950s-60s, when the only reason we signed anything was when we started being denounced as hypocrites for protesting Apartheid while treating Aboriginals just as badly.

ha, true. just hearing things like this make me realize how lucky we have it in america, where basic human rights are protected...most of the time, anyway.

:hi5:

It's just comforting once in a while, because, sometimes I really feel like the only one around here that doesn't mind being American :lol:

You're a Yank now?

If only there was a smilie of a kiwi crying in front of the silver fern flag.
sadly, the best i've got is this:
flag-australia.gif

cuz australia and nz are totally the same right

Really, the simple fact that my desire and belief that Australia could be a great, tolerant country (and truly, not like what it proclaims itself to be to the outside world) outweighs my absolute disgust at its history and the deap-seated racism that is still evident in so many people here is all that makes me want to remain here. Every country has skeletons in its closet, but Australia's closet is waiting to explode.

well, not quite yet bonnie.

but that smiley would be so many shades of amazing.

... gimme a few.

It's just comforting once in a while, because, sometimes I really feel like the only one around here that doesn't mind being American :lol:
this sounds so stereotypical i know, but my faith was somewhat restored in this country with obama being elected. but regardless, i've never been at a point where i could say i hate america or anything. i'm sure for some period of my life i won't live here, but it's not like i plan on renouncing my citizenship or anything.

Really, the simple fact that my desire and belief that Australia could be a great, tolerant country (and truly, not like what it proclaims itself to be to the outside world) outweighs my absolute disgust at its history and the deap-seated racism that is still evident in so many people here is all that makes me want to remain here. Every country has skeletons in its closet, but Australia's closet is waiting to explode.

QUOTE]

We get so swallowed up in our own mateship values and our principles of a fair go (as long as its for your white normal straight aussie bloke mates) it makes me want to puke at times.

we are one of the wealthiest and most wonderful countries in the world but we still have people living in 3rd world conditions and horrific poverty. this is inner city and in remote areas of the country .

this sounds so stereotypical i know, but my faith was somewhat restored in this country with obama being elected. but regardless, i've never been at a point where i could say i hate america or anything. i'm sure for some period of my life i won't live here, but it's not like i plan on renouncing my citizenship or anything.

Obama gives all alot of hope, and he appears to be a special guy,
very JFK esque. full of great ideals and set on creating a better world. but i dont know how long he will last.

Hey Cin! :wave:

this has been on the news for like 2 days or more. must be a slow week. never mind the coup in Fiji or the demonstrations in thailand.

It seems the only network that even wants to know about Fiji or Thailand is SBS.

this has been on the news for like 2 days or more. must be a slow week. never mind the coup in Fiji or the demonstrations in thailand.

although i coudlnt tell you who the vice president was but i can name the dog. :lol:

I couldn't tell you either, but I'll make it my mission to find out the dogs name. :lol:

theres cin here :drool:

hows everything ? :hug:

everything is ok. Mr Cin is at work and should be calling anytime to make sure that I'm home. . . .alone. :rolleyes:

god, nothing cracks me up more than the fucking idiot theory that someone will shoot obama.

seriously, what rational grounds does anyone really have to say it, other than seeking a reaction?

History repeating itself?

That's not to say I expect it...but history does tend to show that there are crazy-ass people out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom