Wake Forest coach Prosser collapses, dies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Headache in a Suitcase

Site Team
Staff member
With the other morally corrupt bootlicking rubes.
Wake Forest coach Prosser collapses, dies

July 26, 2007
WINSTON-SALEM, North Carolina (Ticker) -- Wake Forest coach Skip Prosser died on Thursday after collapsing while jogging. He was 56.

Prosser was rushed to Wake Forest University Baptist Medical Center and reportedly died of a heart attack.

One of the most well-liked coaches in the country, Prosser spent seven seasons with the Demon Deacons after one year at Loyola (Maryland) and seven at Xavier. With the three schools, the veteran coach compiled a 291-146 record.

Former Wake Forest point guard and current CBS broadcaster Billy Packer could not have been more surprised.

"It's difficult to hear this about someone who I've come to know very well," Packer told WFAN Radio in New York. "He was young at 56 and in excellent condition. For a guy who loved his wife, and lived his life in moderation, it's shocking."

Prosser enjoyed a good run at Wake Forest, making the NCAA Tournament in each of his first four campaigns with the school and winning the Atlantic Coast Conference title in 2003.

In recent years, however, Prosser and the Demon Deacons have struggled - missing the tournament in each of the past two seasons after the departure of star guard Chris Paul.

But according to FoxSports.com, Prosser had recently been in high spirits after two of the nation's top high school players - Al Farouq Aminu and Tony Woods - signed with the school.

Many of Prosser's peers remembered him fondly.

"It's so sad. I feel so bad for his wife, Nancy," Arizona State coach Herb Sendek said to FoxSports.com. "Skip was a gentleman and someone who represented what was good about our profession. He was the kind of person you wanted your son to play for."

"I was sitting with him (Wednesday) in Orlando," Georgia Tech coach Paul Hewitt told the web site. "He was just a great person. It's so sad."

Prosser is survived by his wife, Nancy, and two sons, Scott and Mark.

never met prosser but a good friend of mine who i coach with was a 4 year walk on at wake and he holds the man in the utmost esteem and would never stop talking about what a great guy and coach he was. tragic loss for the game of basketball.

Oh my. How very sad. I really feel for his family and friends. :(

I'm not a big sports fan, but living in the Cinti area most of my life I couldn't help but know the name.

Back
Top Bottom