Wait for the Summer - Brought to you by the CSGWs!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:crack: That'd make me go :crazy: too.

If the writing style works than it isn't that bizarre. :up: I actually wish I could write papers like that. It sounds a lot easier in a way. :lol:

:lol: It's been alright, the interviews are pretty interesting, and Will Sheff, the lead singer of the band, is a great interview subject. It's a lot of pages to go through though. :crack:

Yeah, and it does, for the most part. Apparently, my professor and I work in similar ways, as he's pointed out to me a few times now this semester. So, it's nice to know that someone else writes things weirdly too. :lol:

It's odd though, it makes it easier in some senses, like when I do sit down to write it out, I can usually produce final draft-ready work, and since I've thought it out so much, I have no trouble writing about the themes or issues for whatever song or album it is. But, on the other hand, now I've been trying to write more linear papers for other classes, and I have problems with starting it, because it's so overwhelming for me to write an introduction first...I feel like it ties me down to writing in that path that I set for myself. And, keeping myself on topic and making the transitions work as I'm writing is harder when I'm writing it in order.

The clocks just went forward...:( my timezone just started sucking more

:lol: That's right, we moved Daylight Savings ahead a couple weeks in the U.S., so yours is happening now. Weird how the government can manipulate time, huh? :wink:

Why did your clocks move forward? :ohmy:

Daylight Savings Time, started or ended, I don't know what it is :lol:

:lol: That's right, we moved Daylight Savings ahead a couple weeks in the U.S., so yours is happening now. Weird how the government can manipulate time, huh? :wink:

They're making time irrelevant by making it non-linear, and sticking tongues in our ears oh oh oh...wait...that's a song :wink:

Meh, it's okay, time's always been a human construction. :shrug: It would make sense that the gov. would assume they could change it too. :wink:

Is time really constant Cassie or is it all relevant? I mean obviously it is constant in a way, as a second is defined and all clocks use it and it's based on the speed of the earth but from a personal perspective it doesn't feel constant. I mean each second doesn't always feel the same length...the concept of time is an interesting one :hmm:

Maybe a future stimulus plan involves Obama making it December. :wink:

:lol: Possibly...he's had some crazy ideas so far, this might be another one! :wink:

Is time really constant Cassie or is it all relevant? I mean obviously it is constant in a way, as a second is defined and all clocks use it and it's based on the speed of the earth but from a personal perspective it doesn't feel constant. I mean each second doesn't always feel the same length...the concept of time is an interesting one :hmm:

I think it's all relevant. I mean, what says that a second is a second or a minute is a minute? Who decided that 60 seconds=1 minute? Why does noon have to occur during the day? None of those are necessarily concrete. They could be changed, and people would eventually adjust, but there's nothing inherent to its meanings. I also feel like because of our perceptions, especially in regards to memory, time is always relevant, like what you were saying about each second not feeling the same way.

It is an interesting concept. You are right, each second doesn't feel the same. Perhaps time is nothing more than a thread of order in a universe of chaos. It might be that one cannot exist without an equal amount of the other? We are creatures of chaos but follow certain rules. :hmm:

I guess in a way time needs to be defined to make the world practical. And the idea of having days and years makes sense. As the year is based on the earth's orbit, which allows us to anticipate seasons and weather better. And the day being based on light and dark cycle again makes sense.

But I think on a personal level time is much more relevant. I mean I don't believe we all experience time at the exact same pace. I mean it's obviously a very similar pace but not the exact same. I base this on how fast our brains are capable of basically absorbing the information, surely if we could absorb information and act on it twice as fast time would appear to move by at half the speed?

But I think on a personal level time is much more relevant. I mean I don't believe we all experience time at the exact same pace. I mean it's obviously a very similar pace but not the exact same. I base this on how fast our brains are capable of basically absorbing the information, surely if we could absorb information and act on it twice as fast time would appear to move by at half the speed?

:hmm: That's a very interesting question. I know that time doesn't seem to be at the same pace when you are tired, in an altered state of consciousness (drunk, high, etc.) or in a highly focused activity. The first two of those would likely lower the rate you absorb information while the last one would increase it. I wonder if there is a yet unknown equation to explain the perception of time in different situations or consciousness? Put in another way, is there a yet unknown order to the experience of time? :hmm:

:yes: I would definitely agree with that.

:hmm: That's a very interesting question. I know that time doesn't seem to be at the same pace when you are tired, in an altered state of consciousness (drunk, high, etc.) or in a highly focused activity. The first two of those would likely lower the rate you absorb information while the last one would increase it. I wonder if there is a yet unknown equation to explain the perception of time in different situations or consciousness? Put in another way, is there a yet unknown order to the experience of time? :hmm:

Maybe that's why sleeplessness and altered states lead to confusion. Imagine your body is still trying to process information at the same speed but the speed at which you can interpret it has changed. Imagine if you're tired, everything seems to be moving in a way too fast for your mind to handle, like it needs to be slowed down to make more sense. And when you're high maybe your mind has sped up, and your body becomes confused due to too much information, as in if you perceived things faster it would all make sense, as their wouldn't be enough time for information overload to acquire.

I wonder how long it would take for a body to adjust to a different state than the norm :hmm:

Since you brought it up, I can comment a bit on time perception while altered. Being high in particular, after smoking pot, definitely does cause a warped sense of time. Time moves slower, usually. I've been known to talk to someone on the phone, think it was a 10 or 15 minute conversation, and it turned out to be less than 5. :lol: But, I'm not sure if that's related to the speed of thought-processing or not. I think there's still a focus going on, it's directed towards different things though...it's difficult to explain, especially with something that is as varied as marijuana.

I do think it's an interesting question you bring up though. There probably is some kind of order in the experience of it all. :hmm:

Maybe that's why sleeplessness and altered states lead to confusion. Imagine your body is still trying to process information at the same speed but the speed at which you can interpret it has changed. Imagine if you're tired, everything seems to be moving in a way too fast for your mind to handle, like it needs to be slowed down to make more sense. And when you're high maybe your mind has sped up, and your body becomes confused due to too much information, as in if you perceived things faster it would all make sense, as their wouldn't be enough time for information overload to acquire.

I wonder how long it would take for a body to adjust to a different state than the norm :hmm:

Since you brought it up, I can comment a bit on time perception while altered. Being high in particular, after smoking pot, definitely does cause a warped sense of time. Time moves slower, usually. I've been known to talk to someone on the phone, think it was a 10 or 15 minute conversation, and it turned out to be less than 5. :lol: But, I'm not sure if that's related to the speed of thought-processing or not. I think there's still a focus going on, it's directed towards different things though...it's difficult to explain, especially with something that is as varied as marijuana.

I do think it's an interesting question you bring up though. There probably is some kind of order in the experience of it all. :hmm:

That's what I'm thinking might be happening too, John. Just a thought based on what Cassie said, perhaps we are already capable of faster preception but it takes a lot more mental focus? For instance, in dreams I've had I remember days worth of what I was dreaming about. When you are in REM, your mind isn't as active as when you are awake. The way Cassie describes being high, it almost seems like the same thing is occuring. Maybe the brain is capable of a lot faster perception of time but needs to shut down certain areas. That's why we have these odd differences. :hmm:

That's what I'm thinking might be happening too, John. Just a thought based on what Cassie said, perhaps we are already capable of faster preception but it takes a lot more mental focus? For instance, in dreams I've had I remember days worth of what I was dreaming about. When you are in REM, your mind isn't as active as when you are awake. The way Cassie describes being high, it almost seems like the same thing is occuring. Maybe the brain is capable of a lot faster perception of time but needs to shut down certain areas. That's why we have these odd differences. :hmm:

I think that's a good way of describing it. It's always intriguing for me to think that only 10% of an average person's brain is used at a time, and it goes to show how much we're probably capable of, but the pathways have been shut off or blocked (and can be broken down in various ways) through evolution. :hmm:

I thought about the phone calls a bit more, and I think what happens for me is a kind of "hyperfocus," where all of my concentration is poured into the content of the conversation, and I become absorbed in that, rather than keeping track of things I normally would, like how much time has passes.

Maybe it also has to do with your body as well. Your body is most likely designed to go with your mind's default setting. However when your mind alters your body doesn't so there's that limitation on it

Maybe it also has to do with your body as well. Your body is most likely designed to go with your mind's default setting. However when your mind alters your body doesn't so there's that limitation on it

That makes a lot of sense, actually. I mean, when you're in an altered state, a lot of times, it feels like your body isn't moving fast enough for you, or is moving too fast, depending on how you're altered.

I think that's a good way of describing it. It's always intriguing for me to think that only 10% of an average person's brain is used at a time, and it goes to show how much we're probably capable of, but the pathways have been shut off or blocked (and can be broken down in various ways) through evolution. :hmm:

I thought about the phone calls a bit more, and I think what happens for me is a kind of "hyperfocus," where all of my concentration is poured into the content of the conversation, and I become absorbed in that, rather than keeping track of things I normally would, like how much time has passes.

I tend to think that evolution works sometimes in a way of not making a lifeform too advanced in a short time because it might die out if it is too advanced. For instance, you tend to see dinosaurs that were the tops of the food chain and completely dominate that end up dying out because they are more advanced than the environment and food supply can handle.

:hmm: "Hyperfocus"? That does sound similar to REM sleep and dreams. :up:

I tend to think that evolution works sometimes in a way of not making a lifeform too advanced in a short time because it might die out if it is too advanced. For instance, you tend to see dinosaurs that were the tops of the food chain and completely dominate that end up dying out because they are more advanced than the environment and food supply can handle.

:hmm: "Hyperfocus"? That does sound similar to REM sleep and dreams. :up:

:lol: It's a made-up word...but, I think it describes fairly well what I mean, just a state of focus that's tuned into very particular things, while completely tuning out outside distractions.

I can't say much about the similarity between it and dreams, because I rarely remember any of mine. I know that they occur, but I only remember a dream every three months or so. :huh:

:lol: It's a made-up word...but, I think it describes fairly well what I mean, just a state of focus that's tuned into very particular things, while completely tuning out outside distractions.

I can't say much about the similarity between it and dreams, because I rarely remember any of mine. I know that they occur, but I only remember a dream every three months or so. :huh:

I actually quite like the term. :wink:

I'm the exact opposite. I remember most of them and with great detail. :lol:

I actually quite like the term. :wink:

I'm the exact opposite. I remember most of them and with great detail. :lol:

:lol: Well, thanks! Maybe I should work on getting it into common use? :wink:

I wish I were like that! I think it would be so cool if I could remember them...I feel like I'm missing out on an essential part of life or something. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom