W Just Had An Earthquake!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
18716disaster1.jpg

Canadiens1160 said:
All you Cali peeps must be like "aww nigga please".

That's actually true. :shifty: 4.7 is big enough to feel, but we wouldn't crap. It has to be at least 6.0 for us to sit up and look around.

But 4.7 is huge in a place where you don't usually get them.

My husband says it's the start of a disaster movie. It wasn't an earthquake. It was a monster coming up. :yikes:

There's been no reports of injuries or anything.

That post about cali made me laugh :lol:

Though bbc news does think it measured 5.3 :wink:
Apparantley it's the biggest here in 25 years!

Canadiens1160 said:

:lmao: :laugh: :lol:

SPEAKING AS A NATIVE CALI GIRL NOW LOCATED ELSEWHERE... MY SENTIMENTS EXACTLY...

for us cali people it's more like: "oh not again.. jeez.."

4.7 is not even a bump.. I would probably sleep right thru that one..

I was 6yrs old in 1971 (yeah, yeah, i know I am dating myself) :reject: when the big one hit (Sylmar earthquake) and that registered at 6.5. I remember being mad that my dad woke me up cuz i was gonna sleep right thru it.. He said that my twin bed (which had wheels, and was on a hardwood floor at the time) was rolling from one side of the room to the other and I was dead asleep.... :giggle:

Last edited:
:hug:

didn't england get a quake last year? i remembered hearing about it when i visited rono last year.

Canadiens1160 said:

:lol: True.

But it was quite a thrill to see one's cup of tea start vibrating across the desk.

For a second, I thought Dubya had an earthquake. Which would likely be a good thing. Though it would be a grammatical tragedy.

But, since that's not the case, glad you're OK. :hug:

Tell your mums and dads that the insurance rates are going up whether you had damage or not; UK now has the potential for quakes...

Just sit still, don't run and stay away from windows....good luck to all!

from the BBC
Earthquake hits much of England

The biggest earthquake in the UK for nearly 25 years has shaken homes across large parts of England. People in Newcastle, Yorkshire, London, Manchester, the Midlands and Norfolk and also parts of Wales, felt the tremor just before 01:00 GMT.

The British Geological Survey (BGS) said the epicentre of the 5.3 magnitude quake was near Market Rasen, Lincolnshire.

A Lincolnshire police spokeswoman said the force had received dozens of calls from residents but there were no reports of anyone in the county being injured. "There is slight structural damage, cracks and a couple of chimneys damaged. There's nothing serious at present. Mostly people were distressed by it so there were a large quantity of calls coming in."

Speaking on BBC News, Justin Cowell in Gainsborough, said: "It started as a massive shake. People had come out into the street. It seemed the whole town had woken up."

Dr Brian Baptie of the BGS said: "An earthquake of this size, of magnitude five or thereabouts, will occur roughly every ten to 20 years in the UK."

The BGS recorded an aftershock with a magnitude of 1.8 at about 04:00 GMT. The main 10-second quake, which struck at 00:56 GMT at a depth of 15.4 km (9.6 miles), was the biggest recorded example since one with a magnitude of 5.4 struck north Wales in 1984.

Back
Top Bottom