Vrbno pod Pradědem Superthread - Page 62 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-13-2008, 10:54 AM   #916
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 10:09 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by The Sad Punk
Can somebody tell me what the fuck is up with Luke 14:26?

"If anyone comes to me and does not hate his father and mother, his wife and children, his brothers and sisters—yes, even his own life—he cannot be my disciple."
This verse has always bothered me. I usually see it explained away with a simplistic "it's hyperbole emphasising the depth of devotion required!"

Along with that verse, there's also that "I did not come to bring peace, but a sword" verse that doesn't quite fit cohesively with the peaceful rhetoric found through much of the Gospels, especially in the Sermon on the Mount. So much for Biblical inerrancy ...

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 03-13-2008, 10:58 AM   #917
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:39 AM
Quote:

I actually have no idea what UDLs even are anyway!

As for my experiences with alcohol, beyond wine all I really know is that I haven't enjoyed the beers I've tried, but that's just been Kiwi and Aussie stuff, and that I hate straight rum. I have tried a couple of other alcohols but I can't remember them now. Sad, huh? I know my wine, but forget anything else.
[url=http://www.udl.net.au/]UDLs[url] are pre-mixed drinks. Do you know what Cruisers are, those bottles of colourful drink that teenage girls often buy? They're basically the same as that, but for whatever reason, local bogans enjoy UDLs and think Cruisers are sissy - which is very much hypocritical, as both taste like lolly water.

Beer's interesting in that it takes time to grow on you. I started off drinking wines and eventually became a beer drinker when I started to respect its bitterness and found it more rewarding. There are, however, some very tasty beers that I'll try to get you to sample if I have the money, and you have a good bottle-o around.

Old 03-13-2008, 11:00 AM   #918
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally posted by Alisaura

Sounds good! I'm up for more scaring people with unceasing U2 (or theology!) chatter in DFO's food court, if we run short of ideas

We could at least choose a proper cafe or restaurant! Yikes, 36C is just made of phailure. Somehow I think strolling around in the heat is right out ...

"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 03-13-2008, 11:00 AM   #919
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Axver
This verse has always bothered me. I usually see it explained away with a simplistic "it's hyperbole emphasising the depth of devotion required!"

Along with that verse, there's also that "I did not come to bring peace, but a sword" verse that doesn't quite fit cohesively with the peaceful rhetoric found through much of the Gospels, especially in the Sermon on the Mount. So much for Biblical inerrancy ...
Hello self-contradiction! I was somewhat relieved when I found out that the Bible isn't one cohesive volume (okay, two), but bits and pieces of loads of other texts that have been kinda cobbled together. I still wonder why they left those very inconsistent bits in...

It's a case for either shoddy editing, or an accurate portrayal of some very confusing mixed messages that were flying about at the time...

And omg, where did the last hour go?!

Seeya folks
Old 03-13-2008, 11:01 AM   #920
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
We could at least choose a proper cafe or restaurant! Yikes, 36C is just made of phailure. Somehow I think strolling around in the heat is right out ...
Proper cafe... with air con...
Old 03-13-2008, 11:03 AM   #921
Blue Crack Supplier

*runs before any more tempting posts appear*
Old 03-13-2008, 11:05 AM   #922
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Haha, wait, I didn't even notice that Left Behind was that series.

Oh well, doesn't change how I see you.
Thanks.

Actually, part of the reason I'm here, having this discussion now, is indirectly due to Left Behind. As it dawned on me that Christianity was not just the one viewpoint my two friends presented to me, I wanted to know what it was. That's where my interest in theology came from, as I very quickly discarded the embarrassing shit that I couldn't believe had been sold to me, and I tried to find the good stuff instead. As it happened, I cruised through liberal Christianity for a few years until the house of cards collapsed in early 2006 (though I didn't tell everyone about my agnosticism until late last year, for various reasons).

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 03-13-2008, 11:06 AM   #923
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:09 PM
http://wonkette.com/367259/keith-olb...-is-horrifying

for keith olberman
Old 03-13-2008, 11:12 AM   #924
Vocal parasite

Quote:
UDLs are pre-mixed drinks. Do you know what Cruisers are, those bottles of colourful drink that teenage girls often buy? They're basically the same as that, but for whatever reason, local bogans enjoy UDLs and think Cruisers are sissy - which is very much hypocritical, as both taste like lolly water.
Ahhh, right. I know what you mean. I remember that when Kate's Aussie family discovered she not only didn't drink alcohol, but didn't like anything they gave her to try, they gave her something like that and she somewhat liked it. I remember her describing it to me and I made fun of her for drinking "pseudo-alcohol".

Quote:
Beer's interesting in that it takes time to grow on you. I started off drinking wines and eventually became a beer drinker when I started to respect its bitterness and found it more rewarding. There are, however, some very tasty beers that I'll try to get you to sample if I have the money, and you have a good bottle-o around.
I grew up drinking both wine and beer, actually. When I was little, I had just as much of my relatives' beer as I did wine. I just found that I preferred the flavour and texture of wines, and by the time I was about nine, I was consciously favouring wine over beer whenever I was offered a little glass of my own alcohol.

Also, being raised around alcohol is made of win. I always had the taste for it, so I'm not like my friends who find red wine repulsive and struggle to acquire a taste for it; I always drank responsibly; and it was never some "forbidden fruit" so I wasn't like those idiot 15 year olds you see who go out and binge drink like mad when Mum and Dad aren't looking.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 03-13-2008, 11:14 AM   #925
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally posted by Alisaura

Hello self-contradiction! I was somewhat relieved when I found out that the Bible isn't one cohesive volume (okay, two), but bits and pieces of loads of other texts that have been kinda cobbled together. I still wonder why they left those very inconsistent bits in...

It's a case for either shoddy editing, or an accurate portrayal of some very confusing mixed messages that were flying about at the time...

And omg, where did the last hour go?!

Seeya folks
Yeah, I just don't get quite how some of that stuff ended up the way it did. I mean, surely they were aware of the inconsistencies? Then again, the people who compiled the Biblical canon were understanding and interpreting the texts in ways completely foreign and unfamiliar to those of us almost 2,000 years down the track.

And shit, this evening has shot by. Have a good night!

I should go soon too ...

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 03-13-2008, 11:16 AM   #926
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

Thanks.

Actually, part of the reason I'm here, having this discussion now, is indirectly due to Left Behind. As it dawned on me that Christianity was not just the one viewpoint my two friends presented to me, I wanted to know what it was. That's where my interest in theology came from, as I very quickly discarded the embarrassing shit that I couldn't believe had been sold to me, and I tried to find the good stuff instead. As it happened, I cruised through liberal Christianity for a few years until the house of cards collapsed in early 2006 (though I didn't tell everyone about my agnosticism until late last year, for various reasons).
Haha, I let go of Christianity in early '06 too. In fact, I'll never forget it, because it was around the time I turned 17. Unlike you, though (I won't ask about the reasons) - I immediately told my mother about my doubts because I knew she would understand. It was very complex. Mum didn't try to force anything on me, she did understand. She suggested I talked to the priest about it, which I did, and that's when I noticed his massive library on books about different religions (and a pretty keen CD collection, I copied a few onto his iPod after our talks while he was working on material. He would give me some crispy Stella Artois in return). So, because of this I didn't lost faith in the people that still had the faith, and continued to attend Church for a while, just for the sake of learning.
Old 03-13-2008, 11:22 AM   #927
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Also, being raised around alcohol is made of win. I always had the taste for it, so I'm not like my friends who find red wine repulsive and struggle to acquire a taste for it; I always drank responsibly; and it was never some "forbidden fruit" so I wasn't like those idiot 15 year olds you see who go out and binge drink like mad when Mum and Dad aren't looking.
I grew up around booze too. Not that my family were alcoholics, they were just lax about me being aware of it. I am indeed the only person I know who attended Sunday School hungover after accidentally drinking a glass of port at the age of two or three, mistaking it for cola. I'd get swigs of beer every now and then before turning 10, which didn't harm me in the least. I didn't enjoy it those times, however - perhaps because it was a lesser Australian lager, or maybe just because I had to settle into beer.

Seriously, I don't understand why the legal age is 21 in the States. Unbelievably high, for no good reason. I think 18 is a good age. 16 year olds are, on reflection, usually a little more rowdy and don't have the pocket money for frequent purchase of Coopers Pale Ale cartons, so I'm sort of happy that it was increased.
Old 03-13-2008, 11:27 AM   #928
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally posted by Varitek
http://wonkette.com/367259/keith-olb...-is-horrifying

for keith olberman
Holy shit, Olbermann for the SuperWin! He's got to be one of the very few sane political commentators I've seen from the mainstream American media.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 03-13-2008, 11:38 AM   #929
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Haha, I let go of Christianity in early '06 too. In fact, I'll never forget it, because it was around the time I turned 17. Unlike you, though (I won't ask about the reasons) - I immediately told my mother about my doubts because I knew she would understand. It was very complex. Mum didn't try to force anything on me, she did understand. She suggested I talked to the priest about it, which I did, and that's when I noticed his massive library on books about different religions (and a pretty keen CD collection, I copied a few onto his iPod after our talks while he was working on material. He would give me some crispy Stella Artois in return). So, because of this I didn't lost faith in the people that still had the faith, and continued to attend Church for a while, just for the sake of learning.
Wow, I'm glad things went so well for you there. I was lucky in that I had relatively few connections to religion. I had never been a regular churchgoer and had no real community. My main fear was letting down people I respected, and at the time I was still with Kate. She emphasised that she wanted to be with someone who was a Christian. I felt intellectually stifled, like I could only reach certain acceptable answers. But my intellectual curiosity is really my main driving force, and religion just crumbled around me. Although I say I was an agnostic from early 2006, at that point it was only implicit agnosticism and I didn't self-identify as such until early 2007. It was a gradual process, and during last year, I was reading Paul Tillich as the last attempt to find something that it might respark belief. But when Dynamics Of Faith did nothing for me, I knew there was no going back.

Luckily everybody I respect took it well. In fact, everything's better than before. I wish I hadn't dithered and let the process be so gradual now.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 03-13-2008, 11:43 AM   #930
Vocal parasite

Quote:

I grew up around booze too. Not that my family were alcoholics, they were just lax about me being aware of it. I am indeed the only person I know who attended Sunday School hungover after accidentally drinking a glass of port at the age of two or three, mistaking it for cola. I'd get swigs of beer every now and then before turning 10, which didn't harm me in the least. I didn't enjoy it those times, however - perhaps because it was a lesser Australian lager, or maybe just because I had to settle into beer.
Sunday School with a hangover?

Alcohol was just part of my family's culture. It was a perfectly normal thing to have around, and they would happily let me have a little, just as long as it wasn't enough to get me drunk. My father's a wine connossieur and would take me around vineyards with him. I remember having great fun picking grapes during the harvest in about 1994. I know that by the time I was seven, my favourite wine was Ata Rangi pinot noir. Very good stuff, that.

Quote:
Seriously, I don't understand why the legal age is 21 in the States. Unbelievably high, for no good reason.
I think it can be summarised in one word: Puritans.

I agree 18 is the ideal age. Though my family always flouted it for me before I turned 18. At family dinners at restaurants, my mother would order a glass of wine, but she very rarely drinks the stuff (she says most of it has tasted like vinegar to her ever since she became pregnant with me!), so although the wine was ostensibly for her, I would drink it all!

Gig pictures | Blog

Tags
superthread