Vrbno pod Pradědem Superthread - Page 57 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-13-2008, 09:31 AM   #841
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 01:12 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Alisaura

Dude, didn't you know? Sex is EEEEEVIL.
What's that make people like Jen and WildHoneyAlways then?

Whoah, 45d for the first time tonight!

Old 03-13-2008, 09:33 AM   #842
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:12 PM
And sorry Bonnie, I don't think I have many pics of the R&H premiere (she says, three pages after question was asked)...

Besides, my pic folder is woefully disorganised.

more random: I love that sniff 'n' stiff ad!!

Old 03-13-2008, 09:34 AM   #843
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by Axver

Buddhism is quite possibly the religion I respect the most, all things considered. I could never be a Buddhist though. Its practices simply don't suit me.
Not the quiet meditative type?

Quote:

When you come to Melbourne later this year, you, the Maj., and I should totally go out, get a bottle of good wine and some nibbles, and sit around having a theological discussion. All my life I've wanted to have an intelligent and open minded discussion about religion with a group of people my age ... all the folks I knew on the Gold Coast were either too absorbed in their almost fundie Christianity or simply didn't care for religion.
For sure. I'm always happy to discuss theology, although every once in a while I need to stop to clear my brain, it gets bottled up sometimes.

And on a side note, man I wish Larry was still drumming like he did on War or October. I mean, the live version of COBL's great, but stuff like Vertigo and ISHFWILF could be so, so, so much better. He needs to reinvigorate WOWY too.
Old 03-13-2008, 09:37 AM   #844
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Just came across this on Wikipedia and thought I'd post it for the hell of it: The Four Noble Truths of Buddhism

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_Noble_Truths

Quote:
# The Nature of Suffering (Dukkha):
"Now this ... is the noble truth of suffering: birth is suffering, aging is suffering, illness is suffering, death is suffering; union with what is displeasing is suffering; separation from what is pleasing is suffering; not to get what one wants is suffering; in brief, the five aggregates subject to clinging are suffering."

# Suffering's Origin (Samudaya):
"Now this ... is the noble truth of the origin of suffering: it is this craving which leads to renewed existence, accompanied by delight and lust, seeking delight here and there, that is, craving for sensual pleasures, craving for existence, craving for extermination."

# Suffering's Cessation (Nirodha):
"Now this ... is the noble truth of the cessation of suffering: it is the remainderless fading away and cessation of that same craving, the giving up and relinquishing of it, freedom from it, nonreliance on it."

# The Way (Marga) Leading to the Cessation of Suffering:
"Now this ... is the noble truth of the way leading to the cessation of suffering: it is the Noble Eightfold Path; that is, right view, right intention, right speech, right action, right livelihood, right effort, right mindfulness, right concentration."
Fascinating, isn't it?
Old 03-13-2008, 09:37 AM   #845
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
I've wondered if I am perhaps an atheist rather than an agnostic. But I'm not comfortable with the label of atheist. I am, perhaps, strictly a weak atheist, but the line betweeen weak atheism and agnosticism is hopelessly blurred anyway. I love being an agnostic.
The only problem I have with the "atheist" thing is that choosing to NOT believe in God is just as strong a statement (to me) as believing in God is. A Christian believes there is a God - an atheist believes, just as strongly (again, this is my understanding), that there is NO God.

I'm inherently incapable of making such a definitive choice about anything I don't feel qualified to state definitively either way.

Fence-sitting FTW! ... I think agnosticism is the closest thing to that....

Can I sit in on your wine-fuelled theology discussion? I'll just sit quietly at the back and absorb your wisdom

Must go to bed....
Old 03-13-2008, 09:38 AM   #846
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally posted by major_panic
I think people sometimes just read waaay too much into the Bible, or forget that God as shown in the Old Testament still has traces of polytheism clinging to Him (El, Yah, Jehovah, etc are all taken now to be "facets" of God - but could it just be the remnants of polytheism?)

Heresy I find hilarious, and always mention it for cheap lolz. Although, Jehovah's Witnesses and Mormons...
Parts of Genesis CLEARLY show the polytheist origins of Judaism. I'm rusty on my Judaism history, but I know the original conceptualisations of Yahweh did not view him as the sole deity - just the sole deity for Israel to worship.

JWs and Mormons ... well, if I've nothing nice to say, maybe I shouldn't say anything! I don't know how people buy into that stuff. I especially love JW interpretations of the Book of Revelation. Nearly as bad as the Rapture theory kooks and the Left Behind series.

Quote:
I think you misunderstood me a bit, old chap. I think humanity's great, it's just that it can never find God on its own due to its defects. Hence, "we're screwed". It does frighten me, though, that humans are capable of so much brilliance and so much violence at the same time - the atomic bomb being one example.
Ah, I must've misunderstood you, yeah. I'm just so used to the "we're screwed" sort of talk from folks putting forth a negative conceptualisation of humanity. I find a negative conceptualisation simply too depressing. Here I have an interesting theological and political interaction regarding the innate positivity of humanity in all its finitude, and the value of life within my pacifism.

Quote:
Like I said to Saddo, it's a search that can take a lifetime, and I'm just glad that you've found something that you find peace in. Answers, however... That's a much harder and much more frustrating quest altogether.
I have so many questions these days and few answers. Theories, yes; conclusions, no. I love it though. The more inquiry, the better. My answer to "what is the point?" is knowledge ... unfortunately something being very challenged right now ...

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 03-13-2008, 09:39 AM   #847
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
What's that make people like Jen and WildHoneyAlways then?

Whoah, 45d for the first time tonight!
... No comment

And whoah! there's life in the old girl (the thread) yet...
Old 03-13-2008, 09:40 AM   #848
Vocal parasite

Just as an aside, I really badly hope I haven't missed anybody's posts. I think at the moment I'm running about a page behind ...

"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 03-13-2008, 09:40 AM   #849
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
He needs to reinvigorate WOWY too.
What he needs is probably a new spine and some spare tendons...
Old 03-13-2008, 09:41 AM   #850
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:42 PM
Quote:
And sorry Bonnie, I don't think I have many pics of the R&H premiere (she says, three pages after question was asked)...
Oh, that's fine. I am of course, in no rush to see twenty year old photos of U2.

Quote:
When you come to Melbourne later this year, you, the Maj., and I should totally go out, get a bottle of good wine and some nibbles, and sit around having a theological discussion. All my life I've wanted to have an intelligent and open minded discussion about religion with a group of people my age ... all the folks I knew on the Gold Coast were either too absorbed in their almost fundie Christianity or simply didn't care for religion.
That sounds fantastic. I consider myself lucky to have a couple of other amateur theologists as friends. It's basically the only thing we talk about after enough drinks, then I start rambling about Islamic reformation and why homophobia is so outdated in society, etc.

I'll have to make sure there's time for it and know where to stay in Melbourne, since most likely my brother will be coming with me.

I'm not a big wine drinker these days, though, other than fortified. Bad experiences with it and such. Since it'll probably be winter, I'll bring some gin along for tasting or some winter-type Belgian beers - that is, unless the heatwave is still going then!

Mind you, the nibbles must include the following:
- high quality feta
- quality tzatziki
- sun-dried tomato dip
- Camembert
- a shitload of Jatz.
Old 03-13-2008, 09:45 AM   #851
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Meaning of life = make more life

Meaning of consciousness = ... much more tricky.
Such a scientist.

Quote:
On the point of God being lonely/fallible... is loneliness a flaw? I would consider a being who was all alone in the vast nothingness and who didn't feel lonely to be somewhat flawed.
On the other hand, if you were the only being that has ever existed, would you be able to even conceive of the idea of having company? Of course, God being God would be able to...
This is a really good point. I think a lot of the loneliness thing depends on how you address the matter and conceptualise God in the first place. If you understand God's perfection in the sense that God lacks and needs for nothing, then loneliness would indeed be a flaw, and more than a flaw - it would be a need for something, and would thus deny God's perfection within that conceptualisation.

But is an attribute of perfection or of "being God" a need for nothing? I actually originally worded this "a lack of lacking nothing" ... hello paradox, as that in itself is a lack! A lack of lack!

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 03-13-2008, 09:46 AM   #852
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:

Parts of Genesis CLEARLY show the polytheist origins of Judaism. I'm rusty on my Judaism history, but I know the original conceptualisations of Yahweh did not view him as the sole deity - just the sole deity for Israel to worship.

JWs and Mormons ... well, if I've nothing nice to say, maybe I shouldn't say anything! I don't know how people buy into that stuff. I especially love JW interpretations of the Book of Revelation. Nearly as bad as the Rapture theory kooks and the Left Behind series.
"I am the Lord your God, who delivered you out of Egypt; you shall have no other gods but me" clearly implies the existence of other gods.

the Left Behind series. You should see how my lecturers get when someone mentions those "books", one of them will immediately pull out heaps of scriptures disproving the Rapture and spend the next 45 minutes completely shredding the theory apart. Brilliant, brilliant man.

Quote:

I have so many questions these days and few answers. Theories, yes; conclusions, no. I love it though. The more inquiry, the better. My answer to "what is the point?" is knowledge ... unfortunately something being very challenged right now ...
You remind me of this guy:

I paraphrase one of his quotes in DC's 52 series as something like "What's the point of life? Well, that's the question, isn't it? You won't always get an answer, and sometimes an answer will only lead to more questions. But you can always ask questions."
Old 03-13-2008, 09:46 AM   #853
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by The Sad Punk
Mind you, the nibbles must include the following:
- high quality feta
- quality tzatziki
- sun-dried tomato dip
- Camembert
- a shitload of Jatz.

I am definitely gatecrashing this get together!
Old 03-13-2008, 09:46 AM   #854
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
The only problem I have with the "atheist" thing is that choosing to NOT believe in God is just as strong a statement (to me) as believing in God is. A Christian believes there is a God - an atheist believes, just as strongly (again, this is my understanding), that there is NO God.

I'm inherently incapable of making such a definitive choice about anything I don't feel qualified to state definitively either way.

Fence-sitting FTW! ... I think agnosticism is the closest thing to that....
It's the uncertainty about agnosticism I love. We are ignorant. That's how my mind is now, that nobody can be certain of anything about a god. Nobody can truly be theist or atheist. Agnosticism is the limbo, the connection between the two. I feel very safe there, but still not fulfilled.
Old 03-13-2008, 09:47 AM   #855
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

I am definitely gatecrashing this get together!
Oh hell yes! I'm sure we'll probably talk about stuff other than theology, anyway.

Tags
superthread