Vrbno pod Pradědem Superthread - Page 36 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-12-2008, 09:31 AM   #526
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 02:54 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Axver

Yeah, I noticed the lack of swearing - though you used 'arse' earlier this evening! I honestly wondered if I should tone it down for you, but you hadn't objected and it's kind of this thread's culture ...
Eh, I don't care if people swear. Why should what I believe get in the way of what you believe?

That being said, I do find it hilarious when people refuse to swear, then use substitute words like "flip" and "frack". Pansies.

Old 03-12-2008, 09:31 AM   #527
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:54 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by unico
Precisely! You must walk dinosaurs for a living.
Don't I wish!

Anyway, I only got 4 hours sleep last night and I can't do that twice in a row any more

Seeya folks!

Old 03-12-2008, 09:32 AM   #528
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

"Muttaburrasaurus" reminds me of an Indian dish, "murtabak".

Curried mince beef and onions covered in a thin dough and pan-fried as a sort of flatbread.

Old 03-12-2008, 09:32 AM   #529
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:54 AM
Gnite Ali!
Old 03-12-2008, 09:33 AM   #530
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally posted by Alisaura
I have a feeling there's subtext there that I'm not getting...
Quote:
Originally posted by major_panic
I still think it's some sorta euphemism...
I'm certain of this. But I'm always the last to realise what the actual meaning is ...

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 03-12-2008, 09:34 AM   #531
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Anyway, I only got 4 hours sleep last night and I can't do that twice in a row any more

Seeya folks!
... and here I was, thinking six hours was bad!

Have a good night, Ali!

"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 03-12-2008, 09:35 AM   #532
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:54 AM
Quote:

I'm certain of this. But I'm always the last to realise what the actual meaning is ...
I actually never thought about it until they said something. I just figured it was another silly dance craze.
Old 03-12-2008, 09:38 AM   #533
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:

Don't I wish!

Seeya folks!
See ya Ali! Have fun tomorrow! (or today, as the case may be )
Old 03-12-2008, 09:38 AM   #534
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Eh, I don't care if people swear. Why should what I believe get in the way of what you believe?

That being said, I do find it hilarious when people refuse to swear, then use substitute words like "flip" and "frack". Pansies.
Cool. Kate and I used to sometimes argue over this. She didn't like it, and I avoided 'fuck' around her, but I point-blank refuse to even acknowledge 'shit' as a swear word. I see it as no worse than 'crap', and in terms of sound, it's better. Interestingly, my one friend who I would describe as a true fundie was always fine with me swearing. He was a good sport back when I was 14 and a couple of us tried our hardest to make him swear!

I love people - mainly Americans, it seems - who use stuff like "Goshdarnit" and "to heck with it". It means THE SAME FUCKING THING. Bloody hell, people, it's all about INTENT. Words are morally neutral. "That's fucking awesome" is no worse than "that's really amazingly awesome"; "go shove a fork in your eye" is no better than "go fuck yourself".

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 03-12-2008, 09:39 AM   #535
Vocal parasite

Quote:

I actually never thought about it until they said something. I just figured it was another silly dance craze.
Oh, well, that's possible too. Either way, I'm the last to know. I can be so out of touch sometimes.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 03-12-2008, 09:41 AM   #536
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:

It probably is, but I have a habit of giving things layers when there normally aren't. Goes with reading the Bible and being a psychologist-in-training.
Old 03-12-2008, 09:46 AM   #537
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:

Cool. Kate and I used to sometimes argue over this. She didn't like it, and I avoided 'fuck' around her, but I point-blank refuse to even acknowledge 'shit' as a swear word. I see it as no worse than 'crap', and in terms of sound, it's better. Interestingly, my one friend who I would describe as a true fundie was always fine with me swearing. He was a good sport back when I was 14 and a couple of us tried our hardest to make him swear!

I love people - mainly Americans, it seems - who use stuff like "Goshdarnit" and "to heck with it". It means THE SAME FUCKING THING. Bloody hell, people, it's all about INTENT. Words are morally neutral. "That's fucking awesome" is no worse than "that's really amazingly awesome"; "go shove a fork in your eye" is no better than "go fuck yourself".
Word. Or rather, words. I don't think "shit" is really a swear word, but I do use "crap" instead as it seems to be more acceptable around here. Curiously, it's the reverse in Malaysia.

Also, "bloody" is seen as a swear word in Malaysia/Singapore, but it's practically a requirement here!

But I completely agree with you on the intent thing, which is why when I get angry, I get more and more articulate. It really really scares people cause it seems like I'm in control of my anger, but still absolutely furious and channeling it at them.
Old 03-12-2008, 09:51 AM   #538
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Word. Or rather, words. I don't think "shit" is really a swear word, but I do use "crap" instead as it seems to be more acceptable around here. Curiously, it's the reverse in Malaysia.

Also, "bloody" is seen as a swear word in Malaysia/Singapore, but it's practically a requirement here!

But I completely agree with you on the intent thing, which is why when I get angry, I get more and more articulate. It really really scares people cause it seems like I'm in control of my anger, but still absolutely furious and channeling it at them.
I remember in grade eight, I blurted out "shit" in the presence of two teachers at school - as you might remember, I went to a (nominally, anyway) Christian high school. They then had a debate about it! I argued 'shit' is not a swear word and one agreed while the other didn't. They eventually settled that I should really try not to use it, but I wouldn't be punished if I did! I also think I must be the only person who has ever gotten away with blurting out 'fucking hell' to a teacher in an Aussie Christian high school, but that's another long story.

When I was little, I for some reason thought 'bloody' was a swear word, and I loved Sunday Bloody Sunday because I could swear if I sung along! By the time I moved to Australia though, it had entered my everyday vocabulary.

And I'm with you on the whole thing about becoming more and more articulate when angry. I find it really helps release how I'm feeling if I employ creative putdowns. Gets everything out in an even more satisfying way.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 03-12-2008, 09:57 AM   #539
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Well it's been fun, but I should sleep soon, meaning now.

Catch you all later!

Probably won't see me Ax, so next week!
Old 03-12-2008, 10:01 AM   #540
Vocal parasite

Have a good one, Maj., and get well! Don't push yourself! In the unlikely event that I see you tomorrow, I'll tell you to piss off and go home to rest.

Gig pictures | Blog

Tags
superthread