Vrbno pod Pradědem Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Sad Punk said:

I'm not completely certain on this, since I haven't read much about the subject, but there is the possibility that Mary was not a virgin at all, and it's simply from an accidental mistranslation of New Testament Greek that we have this interpretation.

However, I always take theories like this with a grain of salt.

Actually, I believe this is quite true and gaining academic consensus. The original talks about a "young girl" - there is no need to read "virgin" into that, and going by societal norms, there is NO WAY after marrying Joseph that Mary would have stayed a virgin, as the marriage would not have been valid.

But the Catholic church right now doesn't seem too concerned with that sort of thing.

Axver said:

I agree entirely. I was especially disappointed by Larry during The Fly last tour. It was the best version of The Fly ever, but Larry's drumming was made of epic phail. I tried to headbang, but he was far too boring. I headbanged anyway as Edge was rocking the fuck out, but had to imagine more drumming there to make it worthwhile ...

NEEDS MOAR COWBELL!

Just kidding, I reckon he should and could add a double kick to his repertoire. He relies too much on cymbals, I think.

That being said, I do base my style off him - it's fairly minimalist, and it focuses on going along with, and being a part of the song rather than forming its own part. That, of course, is because as a drummer I am Phail Collins, and probably not even as good as he was.

Alisaura said:

The only problem I have with the "atheist" thing is that choosing to NOT believe in God is just as strong a statement (to me) as believing in God is. A Christian believes there is a God - an atheist believes, just as strongly (again, this is my understanding), that there is NO God.

What you've described there is a strong atheist. I don't think I could ever be one of those. Weak atheism and agnosticism cross over, though not all weak atheists are agnostics (some are apatheists, some are ignostics, etc.) and I think you could probably make the case that not all agnostics are necessarily weak atheists. But it's getting too late for me to really analyse and articulate this in too much depth!

Axver said:

Actually, I believe this is quite true and gaining academic consensus. The original talks about a "young girl" - there is no need to read "virgin" into that, and going by societal norms, there is NO WAY after marrying Joseph that Mary would have stayed a virgin, as the marriage would not have been valid.

But the Catholic church right now doesn't seem too concerned with that sort of thing.

Interesting.

And let's face it, up to about 300 years ago, if you'd said this to the Catholic Church they'd've burned you at the stake. Now, they just ignore you, or call you a heretic and go :madspit:

Axver said:

My auntie reads NT Greek, but as she is a missionary and often a bit on the fundie side of things (usually she's pretty cool, though), she probably has no interest in making sure about this.

It's very interesting, though, but even if true, it's unlikely it'll be seen as anything other than a revisionist theory by most people. Which is a pain in the arse, as I'm quite obsessive about the mistranslations of ancient Greek stuff. Like all the writing supposedly proving widespread, encouraged Greek homosexuality and Sappho being a lesbian in the modern sense. That's all blatant mistranslation or misinterpretation, but a lot of academics still see this as homophobic revisionism.

Last edited:
The Sad Punk said:
I'm not completely certain on this, since I haven't read much about the subject, but there is the possibility that Mary was not a virgin at all, and it's simply from an accidental mistranslation of New Testament Greek that we have this interpretation.

However, I always take theories like this with a grain of salt.
From what I've heard, there are loads of "accidental" mis-translations.... the very fact that someone has sat down and picked and chosen from loads of contemporaneous texts about what is Bible-worthy and what is blasphemy, makes me doubt a lot of those sort of things in the Bible. I mean, in a literal historical sense, as well as a religious one. The fact that I doubt the existence of God and all that doesn't stop me from accepting that some of the events in the Bible may well have actually happened, in some form.

Axver said:
But it's getting too late for me to really analyse and articulate this in too much depth!

I agree, these things are best discussed over wine and nibbles. Doesn't mean we can't do it here, of course!

I'm getting tired. I'm gonna head off in about 5 mins... Sleep is good.

The Sad Punk said:
That sounds fantastic. I consider myself lucky to have a couple of other amateur theologists as friends. It's basically the only thing we talk about after enough drinks, then I start rambling about Islamic reformation and why homophobia is so outdated in society, etc.

I'm jealous! I have one friend who is similarly theologically placed to me, but much less interested in it. So we can rant about religion's failings together, but we can't sit down and analyse theological claims or anything like that. In many cases, he follows my lead, which I'm not all too comfortable with.

I'll have to make sure there's time for it and know where to stay in Melbourne, since most likely my brother will be coming with me.

I'm not a big wine drinker these days, though, other than fortified. Bad experiences with it and such. Since it'll probably be winter, I'll bring some gin along for tasting or some winter-type Belgian beers - that is, unless the heatwave is still going then!

Mind you, the nibbles must include the following:
- high quality feta
- quality tzatziki
- sun-dried tomato dip
- Camembert
- a shitload of Jatz.

This sounds made of ExtraSuperWin. Especially with Ali sitting in and the foods you and the Maj. have added subsequent to the quoted post. I really can't wait to do this. :hyper:

And when you're in Melbourne, I think you'll be introducing me to some new booze. :wink: I really have almost solely stuck with wine ...

major_panic said:
I remember reading that and going a giant WTF?!.

You should all check out the Brick Testament by the way - it includes some absolutely hilarious takes on the Torah laws!
I guess you have to trust someone to let them put their hand that close to your balls...?

I've bookmarked that to read later... love the classification system! :lol:

Alisaura said:

From what I've heard, there are loads of "accidental" mis-translations.... the very fact that someone has sat down and picked and chosen from loads of contemporaneous texts about what is Bible-worthy and what is blasphemy, makes me doubt a lot of those sort of things in the Bible. I mean, in a literal historical sense, as well as a religious one.

That's why I'm learning NT Greek - to sort some of the rubbish translations out there from what it really says.

One thing I look for in a good preacher / pastor is extensive use of the original Greek text, not just to back up what they say but to guide what they say.

Axver said:

This sounds made of ExtraSuperWin. Especially with Ali sitting in and the foods you and the Maj. have added subsequent to the quoted post. I really can't wait to do this. :hyper:

We're going to look like the absolute strangest group in the world, sitting around the Botanical Gardens or whatever with a picnic basket, a cd player blasting U2, several religious texts and a lot of discussion!

And that's not even mentioning our disparate ages, looks and personalities!

:lol:

Axver said:
I'm jealous! I have one friend who is similarly theologically placed to me, but much less interested in it. So we can rant about religion's failings together, but we can't sit down and analyse theological claims or anything like that. In many cases, he follows my lead, which I'm not all too comfortable with.

Ah, then I hope I don't disappoint you. :) I'll be sure to touch up on any knowledge, bring some books along, and such.

And when you're in Melbourne, I think you'll be introducing me to some new booze. :wink: I really have almost solely stuck with wine ...

Oh, it'd be a wonderful honour to introduce you to more alcohol! :hyper: You'll get a hard start by not having Coronas as your preferred beer (it is a sign of Man's failure that the most popular beer internationally is from Mexico rather than central Europe), that drinking rum and coke is a bad, boganesque habit, and that UDLs should be consumed only by adolescent girls.

Also if you're leaving, bye Maj! Nice talking to you! :wave:

Axver said:
What you've described there is a strong atheist. I don't think I could ever be one of those. Weak atheism and agnosticism cross over, though not all weak atheists are agnostics (some are apatheists, some are ignostics, etc.) and I think you could probably make the case that not all agnostics are necessarily weak atheists. But it's getting too late for me to really analyse and articulate this in too much depth!
For some reason I find "apatheists" and "ignostics" to be amusing... never heard those terms before. :giggle:

Ignostic: Dude, I'm so ignorant. I don't know SQUAT. I can't make any sort of decision about God!
Apatheist: ... Meh.

The Sad Punk said:
Oh, it'd be a wonderful honour to introduce you to more alcohol! :hyper: You'll get a hard start by not having Coronas as your preferred beer (it is a sign of Man's failure that the most popular beer internationally is from Mexico rather than central Europe), that drinking rum and coke is a bad, boganesque habit, and that UDLs should be consumed only by adolescent girls.

Corona with a slice of lemon/lime :drool:

All right everyone, I'm off. See you all later, and have a great day!

major_panic said:
:lol: the Left Behind series. You should see how my lecturers get when someone mentions those "books", one of them will immediately pull out heaps of scriptures disproving the Rapture and spend the next 45 minutes completely shredding the theory apart. Brilliant, brilliant man.

Oh wow, that sounds like it's made of SuperWin.

Actually, let me tell you a story. This is something few people know, though it's all on the Internet so anybody could've found it out. I, uh, got into Christianity through Left Behind. Two of my friends pushed Christianity onto me when I was depressed (they did take advantage of me, but I believe they had their hearts in the right place), and one thing they gave me to read was Left Behind. I at the time was 13 and knew nothing of Christianity, so I thought that was normal! It wasn't until I was 15 that I actually took to Christianity properly, though. I originally was Axver on the Left Behind Message Board, the first forum I ever used (it closed down in mid-2003, or at least the free forum did).

Within about two months of having the Internet, sitting in on the LBMB, and not to forget Bible reading as well, I realised there was a lot more to Christianity than a bunch of people agreeing on things, and that the Left Behind and all of its theology was spurious garbage with no basis in Scripture. The less said about my introduction to Christianity, the better! I quickly moved onto bigger and better things than baseless pop theology.

Varitek said:
am i correct in my recollection that regina o'numb is a little batty, or is it just that i'm associating her with jamila?

Oh I don't think she i-

Wait.

"Have a Beautiful Day (today, march 13) :hug: "

Alright, she's in that same bonkers lot as Jamila.

Axver said:

Actually, let me tell you a story. This is something few people know, though it's all on the Internet so anybody could've found it out. I, uh, got into Christianity through Left Behind. Two of my friends pushed Christianity onto me when I was depressed (they did take advantage of me, but I believe they had their hearts in the right place), and one thing they gave me to read was Left Behind. I at the time was 13 and knew nothing of Christianity, so I thought that was normal! It wasn't until I was 15 that I actually took to Christianity properly, though. I originally was Axver on the Left Behind Message Board, the first forum I ever used (it closed down in mid-2003, or at least the free forum did).

Within about two months of having the Internet, sitting in on the LBMB, and not to forget Bible reading as well, I realised there was a lot more to Christianity than a bunch of people agreeing on things, and that the Left Behind and all of its theology was spurious garbage with no basis in Scripture. The less said about my introduction to Christianity, the better! I quickly moved onto bigger and better things than baseless pop theology.

:shocked:

Varitek said:
dear u2,

please leak some new material so i don't have to read about the edge's rectum t-shirts

love,
varitek
..... don't wanna know. :yikes:

Hi Varitek :wave:

I'm starting to think about heading out (again)...

You see, Maj, I think any beer that's so watery and tasteless that a slice of fruit is necessary with it is completely useless, but I'm not fussed with what you drink. :) Seeya later.

Axver said:

I won't judge you, I used to attend youth group and had a hint of Islamophobia. But hey, thank whoever that you're here now, talking with such knowledge about actual theology. :)

Axver said:

Getting into Christianity via Left Behind =

LOL!

Getting out of Left Behind theology into truth =

SUPERWIN!

Alisaura said:
Seeya Maj.! :wave:

Was there supposed to be a meet-up on Sunday? :scratch:

I'm not sure! I'll e-mail Melissa tomorrow to see what's happening. Though given how hot it will be ... :crack:

Maybe we could at least do something air conditioned? I would like to meet up in some way, get out of the house and all. Mum and Alan went back to the Gold Coast earlier and I'm feeling a bit lonely at home right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom