Vrbno pod Pradědem Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
mysterious_jen said:

last time i did shifting paradigms it was on disability models, not something super cool like terrorism.

I'd tell you how awesome the course is, except that I haven't been to any of the lectures or classes yet.

Axver said:
Re: U2 3D, it will take all of my faculties of logic to convince myself that I really don't need to bring my notepad to write down the setlist.

I must look so weird at concerts with my notepad out.

:nerd:

if i see you with a notepad .......................

i will bring out my spankin hand ! we are there for fun not nerdiness ok ! (well all right we are all super fucking nerds but you know what i mean )

Axver said:

Yep. Really cool American guy who, amongst other things, worked on intelligence briefings for very high ranking US government officials (I think including the President; I'm certain he said the Vice-President) before quitting in disgust. One reason for his disgust was that he poured so much time and energy into identifying all the important information, while various officials would just cherry-pick and distort information that suited their preconceived ideas and threw everything else in the bin, and he didn't like his work being so misused.

I was having some Barossa cabernet sauvignon earlier. I've also got some merlot here, and some white, though I forget precisely what.

Oh yeah, that's SuperWin material all right. Incidentally, you do realise that we're gonna spurt that word out during a tute and get weird looks all around, right? That and epic phail, or phail collins.

Barossa cabernet sauvignon sounds good to me, although it seems a bit hot for a red; I'd go a dryish white myself.

mysterious_jen said:
shifitng paradigms on terrorism , is that through history or current?

last time i did shifting paradigms it was on disability models, not something super cool like terrorism.

The subject title is inspired by the rather dramatic shift in terrorism (and by extension the frameworks for understanding it) from the 1980s to today, e.g. its increased lethality, changing uses and purposes of terrorism as a political tool, and its rise in the international order to the point that it defines the post-Cold War system.

Axver said:

The subject title is inspired by the rather dramatic shift in terrorism (and by extension the frameworks for understanding it) from the 1980s to today, e.g. its increased lethality, changing uses and purposes of terrorism as a political tool, and its rise in the international order to the point that it defines the post-Cold War system.

ooooh i love that sorta shit .

and war history too ....

major_panic said:
Oh yeah, that's SuperWin material all right. Incidentally, you do realise that we're gonna spurt that word out during a tute and get weird looks all around, right? That and epic phail, or phail collins.

Barossa cabernet sauvignon sounds good to me, although it seems a bit hot for a red; I'd go a dryish white myself.

:lol: I know. I've already used SuperWin offline, when I was flogging Mum and Alan at Monopoly a couple of nights ago.

Unfortunately, you won't get to meet our tutor for three weeks. The lecturer, Mohammed, is taking the tute next week, and then we've got the Easter break.

I just felt like a red, not to mention the fact that I haven't opened the white yet while both bottles of red are open. Now I wish I had some crackers here. I've got cheese and olives, but no crackers! WTF.

mysterious_jen said:

if i see you with a notepad .......................

i will bring out my spankin hand ! we are there for fun not nerdiness ok ! (well all right we are all super fucking nerds but you know what i mean )

Then I should bring my notepad then, eh? :wink:

And c'mon, nerdiness = fun!

Axver said:

:lol: I know. I've already used SuperWin offline, when I was flogging Mum and Alan at Monopoly a couple of nights ago.

Unfortunately, you won't get to meet our tutor for three weeks. The lecturer, Mohammed, is taking the tute next week, and then we've got the Easter break.

I just felt like a red, not to mention the fact that I haven't opened the white yet while both bottles of red are open. Now I wish I had some crackers here. I've got cheese and olives, but no crackers! WTF.

:hmm: I could use a bite to eat. Be back in a few mins, gonna look for some food. I've also got to tell you about what I had for dinner.

mysterious_jen said:

ooooh i love that sorta shit .

and war history too ....

I've already done some work on this stuff in the History faculty last year, while this is offered by the PolSci faculty so it'll be interesting to get the political theoretical approach.

Oh, and Maj., our course reader is thick. Disturbingly thick. The thickest reader I've ever had, and readers never come thin in History or PolSci. The fucker's over $50 and could kill somebody if you dropped it on their head!

$50 bucks for a reader ? GTFO !

always got em free and home delivered
off campus FTMF WIN !

and i am using win, superwin, phail and made of loss off line. yikes. but i like it .

Last edited:
As far as I know, the only way to get the uni readers is through the uni bookshop. I've been told that they only charge production costs on readers and don't make a profit on them, but I have to wonder how the fuck it can cost that much to produce. It is some 700 A4 pages long, though ...

Oh, and I've been using "made of win", "owned", and such offline for a while. "SuperWin" is the first example of postwhorehouse slang that I've used offline, though.

Axver said:
Oh, and Maj., our course reader is thick. Disturbingly thick. The thickest reader I've ever had, and readers never come thin in History or PolSci. The fucker's over $50 and could kill somebody if you dropped it on their head!

Damn, I hate paying money for readers.

:lol: I went to go and get crackers and a dip / cheese, and I've ended up with an iced chocolate and microwave pasta!

Dinner was an Asian dish: curry laksa, which consists of two kinds of noodles, fishballs, chicken, vegetables and sambal (chilli paste) boiled in a spicy soup made of several different kinds of spices and coconut milk. :drool:

major_panic said:

Damn, I hate paying money for readers.

But at least we don't have a textbook to worry about. I've only had to buy one textbook in my entire time at the University, heh.

:lol: I went to go and get crackers and a dip / cheese, and I've ended up with an iced chocolate and microwave pasta!

Make me an iced chocolate too, please!

Actually, I think I'll go pour another glass of wine. I'm feeling nihilistic and sad this evening.

Dinner was an Asian dish: curry laksa, which consists of two kinds of noodles, fishballs, chicken, vegetables and sambal (chilli paste) boiled in a spicy soup made of several different kinds of spices and coconut milk. :drool:

Take out the fishballs and coconut milk so that I can actually eat it, and that sounds really awesome.

Axver said:
Take out the fishballs and coconut milk so that I can actually eat it, and that sounds really awesome.

You can't eat coconuts? It'd be really, really spicy with nothing to counteract it then. Maybe milk would do instead...

Speaking of coconuts,

"You're using coconuts!"
"What?"
"You've got two empty halves of coconuts and you're banging them together!"
"So? We have ridden since the snows of winter covered this land, through the kingdom of Mercia, through..."
"Where'd you get the coconuts?"
"We found them."
"Found them? In Mercia? The coconut's tropical!"
"What do you mean?"
"Well, this is a temperate zone."
"The swallow may fly south with the sun or the house martin or the plover may seek warmer climes in winter, yet these are not strangers to our land?"
"Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?"

[/MontyPython]

major_panic said:
You can't eat coconuts? It'd be really, really spicy with nothing to counteract it then. Maybe milk would do instead...

I'm not 100% sure on coconut, truth be told. I remember having mild issues with it when I was about 10, and I haven't had it since. No experience at all with coconut milk. I just haven't wanted to take the risk.

"Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?"

:lmao: :lmao:

major_panic said:
Ahh fair enough.

Where is everyone? Don't tell me they went and got lives... :tsk:

It's been far too quiet everywhere on Interference lately. :sigh:

Hey, Maj., fancy derailing this thread with another one of our philosophical/theological exchanges?

major_panic said:
Speaking of Monty Python, am I one of the few "evangelical" Christians that actually enjoyed Life of Brian?

You're not a Major, you're just a very naughty evangelical. :wink:

Actually, you don't strike me as falling within the definition of evangelical anyway.

Axver said:
Hey, Maj., fancy derailing this thread with another one of our philosophical/theological exchanges?

:shrug: Why not? Let's go for it! What'd you like to talk about today?

(bearing in mind that I'm somewhat less read than you are)

Axver said:

You're not a Major, you're just a very naughty evangelical. :wink:

Actually, you don't strike me as falling within the definition of evangelical anyway.

True; my church is Pentecostal, so most members call themselves "charismatic evangelicals".

Man, I hate Christianity's denominational fault lines with a passion. Especially cause they confuse me all the time.

major_panic said:
:shrug: Why not? Let's go for it! What'd you like to talk about today?

(bearing in mind that I'm somewhat less read than you are)

Psh, you actually study theology. You've probably a much better grasp on some stuff than I, and as far as Biblical discussions go, I must confess I haven't actually substantially read from the Bible since 2005. (That said, I've read the whole thing twice and about nine different translations of the New Testament. My favourite is the Amplified version.)

In any case, I've a simple question for you, and I'm rather interested to see how you answer it, because I'm wrestling with it tonight and you'll undoubtedly view it completely differently. What is the point? Generally, what is the point? Life, the universe, and everything. What's the point?

major_panic said:

True; my church is Pentecostal, so most members call themselves "charismatic evangelicals".

Man, I hate Christianity's denominational fault lines with a passion. Especially cause they confuse me all the time.

Pentecostal, really? I must admit I'm surprised, as I wouldn't have guessed that. Everything I've seen about Pentecostal churches just sounds scary. All loud and dramatic, and although I don't want to paint with a broad brush, I've met a lot of Pentecostals with very questionable theology.

I honestly just expected you to be Anglican or Uniting or Baptist or something "regular Protestant" like that.

I, for the record, when I was a Christian generally considered myself an Anglican, though I had no strong denominational leanings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom