Vitalogy could be an amazing EP! - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-20-2005, 08:52 AM   #16
Refugee
 
bsp77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 1,956
Local Time: 12:15 AM
I actually love the entire album except for Stupidmop (or, as it also seems to be called, Heyfoxymophandlemama, it's me). Pry, To doesn't really do much for me, but it is less than a minute, so who cares.

I actually enjoy Bugs and Aye Davanita.

Just pretend Immortality is the last song, and it's great.
__________________

__________________
bsp77 is offline  
Old 08-20-2005, 09:29 AM   #17
Blue Crack Addict
 
Reggie Thee Dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Hell Ain't A Bad Place To Be...
Posts: 17,934
Local Time: 10:15 PM
Immortality....
__________________

__________________
Reggie Thee Dog is offline  
Old 08-20-2005, 10:47 AM   #18
The Fly
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 240
Local Time: 06:15 AM
every decent album ever made could make a great EP
__________________
flangerchorus is offline  
Old 08-20-2005, 12:22 PM   #19
Blue Crack Supplier
 
lazarus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 38,000
Local Time: 10:15 PM
Jeez, is no one going to defend this album? Aren't there any true blue PJ fans on the site? The album is certainly not perfect, and I could certainly do without something generic like Satan's Bed, but it's far more than an EP. You could make the greatest single album ever out of The White Album but it's not worth losing all the little musical experiments.

Every song on an album doesn't have to be a single. While I wouldn't just call up Pry, To for an individual listen, it contributes to the overall ebb and flow of the entire recording. I'm amazed that instead of praising Pearl Jam for trying new things and trying to break out of the grunge mold, they get criticized for not having enough songs that are radio-worthy. That's bullshit. I LOVE hearing Aye Davanita. And people accuse Vedder of taking himself too seriously yet begrudge him Bugs. Doesn't bother me. And Whipping may not be a fantastic song musically, but it's about the guy who shot someone at an abortion clinic and carries a lot of thematic weight.

The most important thing though, is defending Stupid Mop, which is just brilliant to me. It's like Revolution #9, which many Beatles fans despise, but it shows the artist using the studio to forge something outside the normal boundaries of what we would call a song. Let's not forget that much of this album was inspired by or a reaction to the suicide of Kurt Cobain, which affected the band enormously, Vedder most of all as he was put in a similar position by the media. The recordings of the woman talking about suicide are chilling, and if you can't respect what the band was trying to do here that's unfortunate. The album ends with the woman admitting that she has thought about killing herself, and is extremely powerful.

Don't even get me started on No Code, which is in my opinion one of the best albums of the 90's.
__________________
lazarus is offline  
Old 08-20-2005, 12:34 PM   #20
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Zoots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: the great beyond
Posts: 36,802
Local Time: 08:15 AM
I haven't really listened to No Code at all. And I absolutely love the experimental side of U2... not to mention Revolution 9. But somehow I haven't been able to get into the experimental side of Vitalogy. See, I definitely wouldn't want them to just make an album full of radio-friendly songs like Better Man, Nothingman and Corduroy. But the experimental tracks have to be interesting and not just overly pretentious ramblings. There's a lot of things going on in Revolution 9 with orchestra bits, conversation, some weird soundtrack noises, king lear being read out etc... On the other hand, Stupid Mop just seems to ramble on forever with not much variety. I think I'll give it another listen.
__________________
Zoots is offline  
Old 08-20-2005, 12:47 PM   #21
Refugee
 
The OOTS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Everything in its right place.
Posts: 1,469
Local Time: 11:15 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by lazarus


Don't even get me started on No Code, which is in my opinion one of the best albums of the 90's.
I really enjoy No Code as well. But, I'd stil rank it behind one of my all time favorites from the 90s...Yield!
__________________
The OOTS is offline  
Old 08-20-2005, 01:24 PM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
Se7en's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: all around in the dark - everywhere
Posts: 3,531
Local Time: 01:15 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by The OOTS


I really enjoy No Code as well. But, I'd stil rank it behind one of my all time favorites from the 90s...Yield!
yield is my favorite.
__________________
Se7en is offline  
Old 08-20-2005, 02:45 PM   #23
Acrobat
 
Achtung Joshua!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Red Hill Mining Town
Posts: 357
Local Time: 02:15 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by lazarus
Jeez, is no one going to defend this album? Aren't there any true blue PJ fans on the site? The album is certainly not perfect, and I could certainly do without something generic like Satan's Bed, but it's far more than an EP. You could make the greatest single album ever out of The White Album but it's not worth losing all the little musical experiments.

Every song on an album doesn't have to be a single. While I wouldn't just call up Pry, To for an individual listen, it contributes to the overall ebb and flow of the entire recording. I'm amazed that instead of praising Pearl Jam for trying new things and trying to break out of the grunge mold, they get criticized for not having enough songs that are radio-worthy. That's bullshit. I LOVE hearing Aye Davanita. And people accuse Vedder of taking himself too seriously yet begrudge him Bugs. Doesn't bother me. And Whipping may not be a fantastic song musically, but it's about the guy who shot someone at an abortion clinic and carries a lot of thematic weight.

The most important thing though, is defending Stupid Mop, which is just brilliant to me. It's like Revolution #9, which many Beatles fans despise, but it shows the artist using the studio to forge something outside the normal boundaries of what we would call a song. Let's not forget that much of this album was inspired by or a reaction to the suicide of Kurt Cobain, which affected the band enormously, Vedder most of all as he was put in a similar position by the media. The recordings of the woman talking about suicide are chilling, and if you can't respect what the band was trying to do here that's unfortunate. The album ends with the woman admitting that she has thought about killing herself, and is extremely powerful.

Don't even get me started on No Code, which is in my opinion one of the best albums of the 90's.
I'm a pretty big PJ fan and have been since day one and the only PJ albums I can't get into are the last two. Anyways, I just wanted to clearify that Vitology was released before Cobain's murder. I remember watching their Saturday Night Live performance a couple of weeks after Cobain's murder where they performed Not For You, Daughter, and Rearview Mirror. The mood was surreal and Eddie had written the letter K with a marker on his t-shirt over his heart. They played with a lot of passion as always but Eddie clearly didn't seem like himself. As far as their music goes I prefer their first two albums the most (TEN is a masterpiece). I'd have to blame the over-hype of the grunge scene and Niel Young for their tamed down music through the years.
__________________
Achtung Joshua! is offline  
Old 08-20-2005, 02:49 PM   #24
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Zoots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: the great beyond
Posts: 36,802
Local Time: 08:15 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Achtung Joshua!

As far as their music goes I prefer their first two albums the most (TEN is a masterpiece). I'd have to blame the over-hype of the grunge scene and Niel Young for their tamed down music through the years.
Completely agree! esp. about TEN and the death of grunge.
__________________
Zoots is offline  
Old 08-20-2005, 04:18 PM   #25
Refugee
 
The OOTS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Everything in its right place.
Posts: 1,469
Local Time: 11:15 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Achtung Joshua!


I'd have to blame the over-hype of the grunge scene and Niel Young for their tamed down music through the years.
I think their music eventually evovled because they matured over the years...similar to how the Beatles music matured.

While TEN was very good for the time, YIELD is their masterpiece imo.
__________________
The OOTS is offline  
Old 08-20-2005, 07:43 PM   #26
Blue Crack Supplier
 
lazarus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 38,000
Local Time: 10:15 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Achtung Joshua!
Anyways, I just wanted to clearify that Vitology was released before Cobain's murder. I remember watching their Saturday Night Live performance a couple of weeks after Cobain's murder where they performed Not For You, Daughter, and Rearview Mirror. The mood was surreal and Eddie had written the letter K with a marker on his t-shirt over his heart. They played with a lot of passion as always but Eddie clearly didn't seem like himself. As far as their music goes I prefer their first two albums the most (TEN is a masterpiece). I'd have to blame the over-hype of the grunge scene and Niel Young for their tamed down music through the years.
Vitalogy was absolutely NOT released before Kurt died. THe suicide happened in the spring of '94, and Vitalogy was not released until the fall. While the majority of the writing was completed beforehand, something like Immortality is clearly inspired by the incident. There's even a quote on the lyric page which is Vedder directly referring to his relationship with Kurt. I don't have it in front of me so I can't quote it exactly.

Plus, I'd be surprised if the decision to call the album Vitalogy and the whole concept around the album didn't come out of what happened earlier in the year.

Also, the samples in Stupid Mop addressing suicide--that ain't no coincidence.

One last thing--Ten is far from a masterpiece. Some good songs, but way overproduced and too uniform-sounding. It's really an insult to Pearl Jam to say that their earliest work was somehow their most accomplished. Versus was a total improvement and they added a lot to their sound with that one. But I really feel it wasn't until albums 3 & 4 that they really started carrying a lot of weight as artists.
__________________
lazarus is offline  
Old 08-20-2005, 10:06 PM   #27
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
U2DMfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: It's Inside A Black Hole
Posts: 6,637
Local Time: 12:15 AM
to back up Lazarus, Vitalogy came out a full 8 months after Cobain died.

I love Ten, Vs, Vitalogy, No Code and Yield. All brilliant in their own respects. The last two were just subpar, especially Binaural which I think is absolutely terrible.
__________________
U2DMfan is offline  
Old 08-20-2005, 10:41 PM   #28
Refugee
 
The OOTS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Everything in its right place.
Posts: 1,469
Local Time: 11:15 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by lazarus


Vitalogy was absolutely NOT released before Kurt died. THe suicide happened in the spring of '94 and Vitalogy was not released until the fall. While the majority of the writing was completed beforehand, something like Immortality is clearly inspired by the incident. There's even a quote on the lyric page which is Vedder directly referring to his relationship with Kurt. I don't have it in front of me so I can't quote it exactly.



PJ was performing songs from Vitalogy during their tour in early 94, before Cobain died(April 8th??)...and before the album was released. Most of the songs were written and being played live. In fact, Immortality was performed on April 12th of 94...days after the suicide. Vedder has said that Immortality lyrics were not inspired by Cobain, although the lyrics could eerily be about him.
__________________
The OOTS is offline  
Old 08-20-2005, 10:43 PM   #29
Refugee
 
The OOTS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Everything in its right place.
Posts: 1,469
Local Time: 11:15 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2DMfan
to back up Lazarus, Vitalogy came out a full 8 months after Cobain died.

I love Ten, Vs, Vitalogy, No Code and Yield. All brilliant in their own respects. The last two were just subpar, especially Binaural which I think is absolutely terrible.
I agree, the last two albums were subpar. I still think that Riot Act is the worse of the bunch.
__________________
The OOTS is offline  
Old 08-20-2005, 10:54 PM   #30
Blue Crack Addict
 
Reggie Thee Dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Hell Ain't A Bad Place To Be...
Posts: 17,934
Local Time: 10:15 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by The OOTS
I really enjoy No Code as well. But, I'd stil rank it behind one of my all time favorites from the 90s...Yield!
No Code is underrated, but Yield that is just brilliant and it's so under the radar.

I hate genres, because all genres die and then the bands in those genres are left to fend for themselves. PJ made some brilliant albums in the 90's, however their last few albums have been disjointed and muddle in my opinion.
__________________

__________________
Reggie Thee Dog is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:15 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com