Virtual Tours of the City of Detroit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CampbellMSU

The Fly
Detroit's going to be in the news in the next year, and whether that's good or bad, I'm not sure, so with Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick making both hilarious and disappointing headlines each day [check today's online edition of the Detroit Free Press - www.freep.com] I thought I would post this website so people could see some interesting sites of what's become the world's largest and horrific victim of urban sprawl and racism.

www.detroityes.com

For all the good that there is here, the bad far outweighs it, which really saddens me to say. Kwame's really blown it as mayor, with his expenses and hiring all his buddies to work "OT" to the tune of 80 hours a week. :rolleyes:

It's ridiculous. I hope the All Star Game and Super Bowl are successful and we come out of it without any black eyes. :huh:

Detroit's problems are not necessarily Kwame's fault. These problems still stem from longtime former mayor, Coleman Young, and, of course, the "white flight" that occurred after the 1968 race riots.

Detroit is just a very industrial city. I honestly don't know what could save it, outside of ripping it down completely and starting over.

Melon

kwame's in charge of a sinking ship, and he's making the hole bigger.

coleman young and his poor relations with anyone white didn't help either.

detroit needs to have all these factories razed, and try to bring in new retail and service industries. technological parks, updated parking and transportation. basically, everyone in the state, including lansing, has to truly want to help, or detroit will become another sinkhole for welfare, law enforcement and other monies wasted.

The thing is, those ugly factories are Detroit's main tax base, along with being a source of well-paid, blue collar jobs. Retail and service jobs, on the other hand, pay complete shit.

I think it might take decades for Detroit to ever be a "pretty" city, even if Michigan was serious about rebuilding it.

Melon

And don't forget about the unions . . .

They ruined the educational system years ago, another factor in the migration out of the city. Looks like the auto industries are next. Rumor is that pension payments for Chrysler employees may sink the company.

And that's not to mention slowing down industry and bullying out good business. Detroit is a prime example of where good unions have gone wrong.

stammer476 said:
And don't forget about the unions . . .

Oh yes. "Blame the unions" for everything. If it weren't for unions...

1) We'd be working at lower wages.

2) No one could fund the South's low-tax lunacy. The wealth of the North and its union wages is what funds this country. The Sun Belt is just a bunch of sun-tanned parasites.

Would you surrender your pension for the greater good of the company you work for? I mean, seriously. What kind of comment is that?

Unions aren't sinking the auto industry. It's their unimaginative and stale company executives. They haven't made a good looking car in what...30 years? The executives and designers are all non-union. American cars are synonymous with bloat and excess. Big frames. Big gas tanks. And that might play well in Middle America, but it doesn't bode well when upstart yuppies aspire to drive German and Japanese vehicles. I don't blame the unions at all; I put the blame squarely on the bloated and small-minded management contented with making the same old product year after year after year. I think they're still using frames from the early 1990s the last time the Japanese scared the shit out of them.

And look which automakers are the movers and shakers of today? The Japanese have pretty much been the architects of the hybrid vehicle and the Germans are the architects of hydrogen fuel-powered automobiles. And where are the American automakers? Sitting around making the same gas-guzzling SUVs as ever.

Melon

Last edited:
melon said:

Unions aren't sinking the auto industry. It's their unimaginative and stale company executives. They haven't made a good looking car in what...30 years? The executives and designers are all non-union. American cars are synonymous with bloat and excess. Big frames. Big gas tanks. And that might play well in Middle America, but it doesn't bode well when upstart yuppies aspire to drive German and Japanese vehicles. I don't blame the unions at all; I put the blame squarely on the bloated and small-minded management contented with making the same old product year after year after year. I think they're still using frames from the early 1990s the last time the Japanese scared the shit out of them.

And look which automakers are the movers and shakers of today? The Japanese have pretty much been the architects of the hybrid vehicle and the Germans are the architects of hydrogen fuel-powered automobiles. And where are the American automakers? Sitting around making the same gas-guzzling SUVs as ever.

Melon

Well, not to get into a political discussion but they make the SUV's because that is what the American public wants. Right or wrong, Americans want those type vehicles. If they didnt, they wouldnt be making them. So I wouldnt blame big brother for that. Management and the Unions both have hands in the way the business is run, to blame the problems in that industry solely on one or the other is ridiculous.

Onto the subject of the thread. Detroit gets a bad rap. It has its problems like any major city. But the burbs and outskirts of Detroit are actually pretty nice for the most part. There has been an attempt to revitalize downtown with Comerica Park and Ford Field. It has worked in varying degrees.

Blue Room said:
Onto the subject of the thread. Detroit gets a bad rap. It has its problems like any major city. But the burbs and outskirts of Detroit are actually pretty nice for the most part. There has been an attempt to revitalize downtown with Comerica Park and Ford Field. It has worked in varying degrees.

That was kind of my point. River Rouge is one ugly mofo, but I wouldn't doubt that it generates at least half of Michigan's economy. For that reason alone, it's very necessary (and I end up chuckling when I see paintings from the early 20th century, which upheld River Rouge as some kind of beautiful industrial ideal).

Melon

Wow...I stopped by Detroit and an FYM thread broke out.

Detroit SUCKS (sorry locals...I love you guys, and you know who you are)!

Yes...it is a city of sprawl...and even worse, a city VOID of public transportation. The NFL and MLB have overlooked the utter lack of ground transportation available to All-Star and Superbowl visitors from the airport to Downtown. Your ONLY option is a taxi (although renting a car is actually cheaper).

Unfortunately for Detroit, outside of a sporting event or the International Car show...nothing happens in downtown.

booo on Detroit.

They do have a nice airport though...thanks to the MAIN airline there. :sexywink:

Back
Top Bottom