Virgin, Utah Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Also, I've never had much of an issue with Boy's production. It's funny and sad that it sounds better than albums like JT, Achtung, and HTDAAB.

AGREED.

Producers, turn up the damn bass. Listen to Boy and tell me you shouldn't. It propels the record.

I don't know what I was hearing in 2004. Maybe my hearing's just improved a lot since then or I know what to listen for or something. Because it's absolutely undeniable from a technical perspective that the worst produced U2 album is HTDAAB. It's the whole "loudness wars" thing. The clipping on Crumbs is all the proof I need. I know when I bought the album, I wasn't aware of this sort of stuff and just thought the clipping on Crumbs was due to a slightly defective CD on my end.
i hate loudness wars. you know what's awesome? there's a satellite station i listen to often that sounds LOWER than the rest.

quietness wars :drool:

I don't know what I was hearing in 2004. Maybe my hearing's just improved a lot since then or I know what to listen for or something. Because it's absolutely undeniable from a technical perspective that the worst produced U2 album is HTDAAB. It's the whole "loudness wars" thing. The clipping on Crumbs is all the proof I need. I know when I bought the album, I wasn't aware of this sort of stuff and just thought the clipping on Crumbs was due to a slightly defective CD on my end.

That's my favorite track on the album and I don't know what clipping is. I've listened for defects and haven't heard any.

i was about to say that :grumpy:

unfortunately i think ab and zooropa need a remaster only cuz they sound so...muffled i think. zooropa especially. atyclb sounds fine, it just sucks :happy:

Eh, ATYCLB does need a bit of work, though since I never play it, I can only think of Beautiful Day's guitar sounding like shit, like the higher notes are being played down a really tinny, low quality telephone line. But yeah, off memory it's produced better than Achtung and Zooropa. I have more of a problem with Achtung, simply because songs like Zoo Station and UTEOTW would be so much better if the production weren't so dire.

All I listen for is whether or not the instruments are mixed properly. On AB, they're not. On HTDAAB, they generally are.

It is too damn loud though. This is a fact.

Our reactions were normal. I mean c'mon. 4 Years between albums?, We'd been waiting. Ever since we got that little 5 second snippet/preview of Vertigo....and then the beach clips before that. Maybe we believed Bono's hype?.

I just think. I know its in my case. i've gone out and discovered a lot of new/different music. And I've gone from being basically "centered around U2 for 4 years", to opening my eyes to a whole new world!

The new album might have the same reaction when it leaks, it might not. I know i'll be jumping out of my skin again when track 2 is leaked (well we'll already have track 1, the lead single weeks in advance :wink:)

AB kills Edge's guitar. See: Zoo Station, EBTTRT, UTEOTW, TTTYAATW, LIB.

When you kill your best thing, that's not good.

That's my favorite track on the album and I don't know what clipping is. I've listened for defects and haven't heard any.

I've noticed it from the very first listen, but as I said, initially thought it was due to a defect on my CD. It's quite noticeable in the intro.

Also, I can't stand how Bono sounds every time he sings the letter 's' in Crumbs, simply due to the production.

Turning the bass up has never, ever been a problem from my standpoint.

:up:

What would Out Of Control be without its kickass bass intro? On Achtung, it would just be this grungy mess with a guitar surfacing from the murk just in time for the drums to kick in.

Eh, ATYCLB does need a bit of work, though since I never play it, I can only think of Beautiful Day's guitar sounding like shit, like the higher notes are being played down a really tinny, low quality telephone line. But yeah, off memory it's produced better than Achtung and Zooropa. I have more of a problem with Achtung, simply because songs like Zoo Station and UTEOTW would be so much better if the production weren't so dire.
how to fix atyclb and htdaab: make them out of print :happy:

All I listen for is whether or not the instruments are mixed properly. On AB, they're not. On HTDAAB, they generally are.

It is too damn loud though. This is a fact.

I wouldn't say the instruments are mixed properly in songs like COBL - the intro sounds like it's being suffocated.

I wouldn't say the instruments are mixed properly in songs like COBL - the intro sounds like it's being suffocated.

My only beef with studio COBL - lack of Larry's snare drum beat that he plays live.

Our reactions were normal. I mean c'mon. 4 Years between albums?, We'd been waiting. Ever since we got that little 5 second snippet/preview of Vertigo....and then the beach clips before that. Maybe we believed Bono's hype?.

I just think. I know its in my case. i've gone out and discovered a lot of new/different music. And I've gone from being basically "centered around U2 for 4 years", to opening my eyes to a whole new world!

The new album might have the same reaction when it leaks, it might not. I know i'll be jumping out of my skin again when track 2 is leaked (well we'll already have track 1, the lead single weeks in advance :wink:)

Yeah, and it was my first album as a dedicated fan, so that really ramped up my excitement a few notches too many.

This time around, I'll probably just ignore WTAHNN. Go there for links when you lot say they've leaked and avoid the discussion like the plague.

I've noticed it from the very first listen, but as I said, initially thought it was due to a defect on my CD. It's quite noticeable in the intro.

Also, I can't stand how Bono sounds every time he sings the letter 's' in Crumbs, simply due to the production.

Yeah, you can hear popping during the intro. It's clipping.

Fantastic song though. The lyrics are iffy, but it's a great tune. Better than most anything off of ATYCLB.

Yeah, you can hear popping during the intro. It's clipping.

Fantastic song though. The lyrics are iffy, but it's a great tune. Better than most anything off of ATYCLB.

The only bum lyric is the shit about the mouth full of teeth. The rest is fine, especially by Bono standards.

Yeah, I don't get why this forum slags it off so much. I rank it as one of HTDAAB's top three songs, with COBL and OSC. Wish it had been done live more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom